Smith Calls for Storm Premierships to be Reinstated

Seriously, this has me pretty close to Done with the NRL. Not only are Cronulla allowed to keep a premiership from a year they were found to have players receiving illegal payments, but it’s entirely possible the NRL will cave to The Most Influential Person In The Game and re-instate the cheatingest team ever’s premierships?

And before anyone says it’s not gonna happen, that’s what people here said a year out from Trump being president. On a dumbness scale the NRL and the USA are hard to split.

Want to make the NRL really inept? Have Donald Trump in charge, he would promise something that would never be possible and claim the AFL will pay it for us.

I thought the NRL had investigated Cronulla and found that they were under the cap in 2016. They've said that repeatedly. Do you know differently and how did you come by this knowledge. I assume you have evidence.

I mean that must be the case as you think their premiership should be taken off them and made to sit out a season without points. I'm sure you must have evidence as it would be strange and irrational to make those demands without it.

I don’t need to give proof, I’ve proven it to myself.

But seriously, I don’t have proof. Just working on logic and the fact that I can’t accept that the Sharks could be over the cap the year after and before the premiership but not the year of, that’s my reasoning.

Sitting the year out is purely connected to the peptide saga, I didn’t make that point clear, sorry.

It’s no secret that we did our fair share of salary cap rorting for premierships or opportunities of premierships. It amazes me how soon fans forget and start pointing fingers at others.

We're a public entity. I think we can all rest easy knowing that if we're cheating we're doing it 'legally' through loopholes. If we got done storm style the management would have more to lose.

EDIT: This is a hypothetical, but say a mate of a rorters super fan who is not connected with the club hands a player, for example, 50,000 dollars that wouldn't be a breach of the cap as far as I can tell. That's the sort of thing that has been alleged against the Broncos in the past.

Last edited:
Where’s the proof that smith, Cronk and slater (Inglis) knew? Or is it different strokes for different folks?

We had almost the whole QLD team and almost half the National team... taking understanding of course. Naievity at best.

That has nothing to do with what I asked. I'm not talking about the Storm, I'm asking for some further reading about when the Broncos were over the cap by hundreds of thousands of dollars.

i've no doubt at some stage we were very creative with the cap, i mean, we know the thoroughbreds existed...

i'm just of the opinion that we're entitled to tribalism, so of course **** the other teams, especially the ones caught

it's only illegal if you get caught...

The reason why people are still suspicious about Cronulla is because Paul Kent went onto NRL 360 and revealed that the Sharks were still systematic cheating the third party agreements but happened to still be under-paying players. It'd be like Melbourne keeping a second set of books but still happened to be under the salary cap.

It's like the thoroughbreds and the situation surrounding Andrew Gee. There's something rotten about it, but unless something else comes to light it appears the matter has been resolved.

For the record, I will say I became suspicious of Cronulla book keeping when it came out what James Maloney was on. In a post DCE world, Maloney was being grossly underpaid. I wonder if there's a correlation between Maloney's early release and the unfulfilled TPAs?

I don’t need to give proof, I’ve proven it to myself.

But seriously, I don’t have proof. Just working on logic and the fact that I can’t accept that the Sharks could be over the cap the year after and before the premiership but not the year of, that’s my reasoning.

Sitting the year out is purely connected to the peptide saga, I didn’t make that point clear, sorry.
It might seem logical but standing on a beach facing the sea might make one think the world is flat, it just seems logical. We know differently of course because we have all the relevant facts or have learned of them. The NRL found some breaches, much more than Cronulla expected and if there was evidence they were over the cap it would have surfaced. The peptide thing is old news and I don't believe it was for enhanced performance rather it was for enhanced (shortened) recovery times. It was 8 years ago.

It might seem logical but standing on a beach facing the sea might make one think the world is flat, it just seems logical. We know differently of course because we have all the relevant facts or have learned of them. The NRL found some breaches, much more than Cronulla expected and if there was evidence they were over the cap it would have surfaced. The peptide thing is old news and I don't believe it was for enhanced performance rather it was for enhanced (shortened) recovery times. It was 8 years ago.

The issue is not the fact that they weren't over the cap in 2016, it is the fact that they set up a way to systematically rort the cap but because they weren't good enough to pull it off and the 3rd parties they arranged didn't come through they weren't over. It is still systematically cheating they just found a way to **** it up.

Weren't there issues with the Broncos in the post SL era? Players signed huge contracts to play for the Broncos in that competition but when the 2 became 1 again, those players still needed to be paid that value? Obviously we wouldn't have been the only teams effected by that. Memory is a little fuzzy.

Apart from accusations from other fans and the occasional overspend (generally due to the 2nd tier cap or something), that's the only thing I can recall regarding us being over the cap.

Weren't there issues with the Broncos in the post SL era? Players signed huge contracts to play for the Broncos in that competition but when the 2 became 1 again, those players still needed to be paid that value? Obviously we wouldn't have been the only teams effected by that. Memory is a little fuzzy.

Apart from accusations from other fans and the occasional overspend (generally due to the 2nd tier cap or something), that's the only thing I can recall regarding us being over the cap.

The Andrew Gee thing will always remain dodgy.

We have absolutely been done before. I recall back years ago, we, and a few others, got done for something like $10-20k over.

The Andrew Gee thing will always remain dodgy.

We have absolutely been done before. I recall back years ago, we, and a few others, got done for something like $10-20k over.
Yeah the Andrew Gee thing is definitely dodgy but the only things I can recall are like you said. 10 and 20k here and there. Mostly to do with the 2nd tier.

Do want clarification from someone about my SL memory though.

Maybe there were, maybe there weren't. We were never caught so who can say? Well, who can say and is willing to say? Shonkies were caught. They should have the premiership stripped!

Maybe there were, maybe there weren't. We were never caught so who can say? Well, who can say and is willing to say? Shonkies were caught. They should have the premiership stripped!
Were they caught? Pretty sure the NRL said they were ok, on multiple occasions. Did you mean the peptides thing from 5 years prior?

No argument here at all. Am interested to know if my memory is correct regarding the SL though.

I feel sorry for the Storm about them losing their tainted salary cap cheating premierships, lets put them out of their misery tonight!

Were they caught? Pretty sure the NRL said they were ok, on multiple occasions. Did you mean the peptides thing from 5 years prior?
Yes and no. Yes they were caught using banned PEDs a few years ago but no, that's not what I'm talking about. they were caught cheating the salary cap by a significant margin (i.e. not "a mistake" with a club going 10 or 20k over as they often do) in the year they won the premiership. IMO it should be stripped and IMO that is what Smith is subtly getting at when he called for the Storm premierships to be restored. He knows that won't happen and probably knows it shouldn't happen but believes the Shonkies should also be stripped of their premiership, just didn't feel confident or comfortable to state it openly.

Yes and no. Yes they were caught using banned PEDs a few years ago but no, that's not what I'm talking about. they were caught cheating the salary cap by a significant margin (i.e. not "a mistake" with a club going 10 or 20k over as they often do) in the year they won the premiership. IMO it should be stripped and IMO that is what Smith is subtly getting at when he called for the Storm premierships to be restored. He knows that won't happen and probably knows it shouldn't happen but believes the Shonkies should also be stripped of their premiership, just didn't feel confident or comfortable to state it openly.
Oh, I didn't know they were caught over the cap in 2016. I didn't see that reported. I thought they were over in the years either side, which on the face of it seems highly suspicious. It'd be great if you could link me to something that shows how much they were over in 2016. I wonder why the NRL have stated they are or were cap compliant in 2016.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • mieko
  • lynx000
  • Broncorob
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Waynesaurus
  • Pablo
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • Tmac
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • Nerd
  • Behind enemy lines
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.