SNOOKER WORLD CHAMPION

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Congratulations Robbo...fantastic. I've waited all my adult life for an Aussie to be crowned champion and at last it's happened. Brilliant long potter and world class break builder. It may be a sport that seems sedate but the pressure inside of you when your at the table is immense even at the lower levels. One way to look at it is it's like a game of chess with real balls, both meanings intended.

Finally we can put the myth to bed that Eddie Charlton was our greatest ever. Robertson has done more for Aussie snooker in his short career than Charlton did in his whole life. Well done well done...... icon_thumbs_u _woohoo_ _woohoo_ _woohoo_

Yeah! Take that Charlton ya dickhead!

gal_Glasgow_big_snore.jpg

World wide audiences sometimes 100 million viewers or more. Oztag...watched by family and friends...I'm so sleepy......zzzzzzzzzzzzzz (oo)

What would Bannermania care about oztag?

uummm why dog oztag... Lachy doesn't evenplay it. Its like you went to diss him and all you did was hurt Coxys feelings......

Anyway woohoo well done and all that. But didn't i see something about games beiong fixed or something like that.

Aeetee said:
Anyway woohoo well done and all that. But didn't i see something about games beiong fixed or something like that.

The world number one has been suspended or something after an undercover journalist caught him saying some crap about fixing games.

If you'd really want to pay me out Huge. Why not comment on how low viewership is for the MLB? lol oh wait.

My bad. Apologies Coxy. :oops: I was in error. Also bannermania, apology, I was aiming for Coxy and sprayed my shot. I figure the ledger is still heavily in Coxys favour and jumped at my chance, I amaze myself at times at how dumb I can be. [eusa_doh WTF is MLB ??........

BTW, I have no opinion on Charlton or the history of snooker champions. I thoroughly enjoy playing it though.

I was just laughing at Scotty's response. Reminded me of The Castle.

Good on him - I see they played for 12 hours straight in the final.

One question - who came up with the idea that the final should be the best of 35 games???

There's a standard in snooker where you know within yourself that you truly have gained a strong measure of control. Every player who has played a game or two in any league, at any grade ,will understand what I mean by control. He/she will see the A grader at some stage or another, perhaps when having a casual game themselves at the club. They look from the background at one table for in nearly every club or snooker room there is the table that is the 'one'. It's where the guns play almost exclusively. When your serious A graders play they demonstrate a mastery , a control of the white ball that all the others dream about.

You get in the zone but if you've never made a century you almost certainly have never really been in the zone or had a real mastery. That's the standard I mentioned, the century break. Anywhere in the world amongst the snooker fraternity, if you've never done it and made triple figures you'll never get their respect(in the sporting sense) never be recognized as a true snooker player. You'll be the snooker equivalent of golfs hacker. 99 won't cut it, I kid you not. To continue the golf analogy the centurion is golfs scratch handicapper.

If 6 very good golfers ,all capable of sub par rounds were sitting around and an 18 handicapper (assuming of course that the 18 handicapper is at his/her peak, not some elderly former great) is talking about some shot he/she hit the 6 all share an inner knowledge, they can't help feel as though they're in a club, an elite level, the cream who truly get to have control. Like they've passed from a lower level into the zone.

Snookers hundred club is like that, like playing under par.

This morning one of the commentators described it as a Marathon of the Mind. The World championship has to be the truest of tests. It simply is'nt about banging the balls in ,it is about your capacity to concentrate over extended periods of high pressure. Accuracy is paramount but imagination when breakbuilding or defending is vital. A strategic game, cerebral and intense for an indoor game it has plenty to offer.

The earlier rounds are shorter with longer matches as you progress. In the pro ranks a seven frame match in most tourneys is the least that'd prefer simply because anything less is a sprint to them. the world titles start with longer matches that get even longer to the final. No player wants to finish a match without getting an opportunity to score at all which can happen with three or five frame matches between top rank players. In the world titles everyone who qualifies to play won't ever feel as though they did'nt get a fair whack at it.

I have an 8x4.5 foot table at home and love playing snooker on it. Can't say I've ever scored a 100 break, but that's not surprising. I'm no hero.

But the times I've played on a full size 12x6 table, it's a whole different ball game. So much skill and precision required. it's phenomenal. Great game (though I'm loathe to call things like it, and poker, and darts etc, a sport).

Active Now

• Galah
  • Brocko
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • phoenix
  • barker
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • upthebroncs
  • Scorchie
  • lakers133334
  • Harry Sack
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Santa
  • the_next
  • leish107
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.