Soft Broncos

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Gorden Tallis thinks so. Now, putting aside the fact he's a board member of the wooden spooners, he makes some good points.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 89,00.html

IF there weren't alarm bells ringing in the Broncos bunker last Friday night, there should have been despite Darren Lockyer's brilliance.
Once again Lockyer's magic masked a fairly average performance from Brisbane - and in particular the pack.

Recently I stated Brisbane was the team most likely to challenge Melbourne's supremacy.

It has a good "spine" in the form of Michael Ennis, Lockyer, Peter Wallace and Karmichael Hunt - but again the size and heart of the motor have me concerned.

On Friday night the Broncos ran out against a fairly modest Titans pack. Big guns Aaron Cannings, Mark Minichiello and Luke Bailey were all missing and Brisbane should have smelt blood in the water.

Here was a chance for Brisbane's forwards to assert some authority and set up its classy backs for the type of victory that could have sent a shudder through the entire competition.

But instead it was the Titans, led by Brad Meyers and James Stosic, who dominated the physical confrontations. Well done to Gold Coast - with its season on the line it played well - but for Brisbane fans it was worrying.

I think Tallis is very warranted in what he said. We all know the pack is a shadow of its former self.

Time for the likes of Oztag, Hannant, Sims to stand and be counted.

He is spot on, it has been months since we have seen some aggression from our pack. Sims in particular has mongrel in him he needs to muscle up big time. Our finals series depends on our pack.

Agreed. The Broncos haven't actually dominated a pack, that I can recall, since the Cowboys game in round 3! Isn't that disgusting?

This week's game against the Bulldogs is an acid test I think. They're not particularly strong, their pack is being beaten week in, week out, but the Broncos have to go out there with the attitude that they want to DESTROY their opposition. Not play to their level.

I think that's the problem, the Broncos start with a flourish, think the game is too easy and then lower themselves to their opposition's standards...who then lift and the Broncos have to play catch up.

Play your OWN game Broncos.

That cowboys game our pack was ruthless we smashed them in to submission. It would be great to see that again. At least we know they can do it they just need to pull there fingers out.

Pretty accurate.

Could this all be a ploy of Gordie's to fire them up? I damn well hope so and I damn well hope it works.

I agree with his sentiment but not his example. Please remember that thanks to the referee, our pack spent most of the first half defending the tryline. That's going to suck the wind out of anyone's sails.

Apart from Parker, I think the pack is looking better every week.

Speaking of Parker, I think he should be dropped, Stagg takes his place and bring Taylor to the bench.

Agree gUt, Broncos pack was looking OK early in the game, until possession mounted against them. And they came out relatively firing in the second half.

Definitely need to fire up for a full 80 minutes though.

Emma said:
Could this all be a ploy of Gordie's to fire them up? I damn well hope so and I damn well hope it works.

My initial thoughts also. But his article is justified so its fair enough even if its not used to kick them up the butts.

Oh I agree it's justified, but just think that the fact he's come out publicly and said it could be a little bit of a motivational thing too.

Yeah I think so too. Doesn't someone usually do it every year?

If anyone knows soft...it's Tallis. He used to smash guys that came out with the attitude that our guys have at the moment ... maybe Tallis can smell the fear.

We need to lift so much it's not funny

Can't say I disagree too much with Tallis, but he's also got to understand that we aren't full of big boppas like we used to be back in his day. Hell, I even remember quite a number of "soft" seasons that he had himself.

These days it's not all about the bash and the barge. It's about angled running, momentum, off-loads and support play...

Which is very sad Mick. Not what league is supposed to be...(my opinion)
Seen some great hits over the weekend though. Love it. icon_thumbs_u
We can do it and have. Some of the guys just seem to push shove like soft sooks not league players at all.
Well written Gordie. Get up em.
Gordie only had some soft times after the neck op. He let the 'EYES' do the work [icon_wink

The game today is basically winning the wrestle/ruck and dominating possession and territory through minimal errors and good discipline. Quick play the balls for us, slow play the balls for them, no silly penalties and no handling errors.

Our forwards lack any amount of sting at all and it's rot that they aren't as big or strong as past packs of ours, they just seem to lack the heart or the preporation to do as they're supposed to.

They run up one out and almost always alone and get smashed, so before you know it they're running on empty from being belted. Surely someone at the club can get these guys to work as a pack and get the job done.

Tallis is dead right and it's another brilliant example of our struggling club getting the points and no doubt into the finals on the back of one or two superstars... WB gets another feather in his cap and all the while the problem remains.

We need a forwards coach to come in and educate these guys a bit, to run up as a unit, to tackle as a unit and off load and support.

But who????

I think we are just really missing a forward leader. Someone who can lead by example.

Hey Chris, I think you'll find Gordie's no longer a board member, he resiged due to conflict of interest.
I may be wrong but did hear grumblings to the effect.

Unread

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • sooticus
  • Manifesto
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bish
  • Broncosgirl
  • Shane Tronc
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncoscope
  • john1420
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.