Sonny Bill on Footy Show

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Did anyone see the Sonny Bill interview on Last nights footy show... Gould asked him about kiwis being allowed to play origin... and he went on about how he'd love to play origin and how it was unfair that he couldn't play origin and then play for the Kiwis in test footy and how State of Origin gave the Aussies an unfair advantage when it comes to test footy, because they get the 3 high intensity origin games every year. CRY ME A RIVER!!!

IMO, there should be NO Kiwis playing origin if you want to play origin you have to be available to play for Australia... That should never change.

if the Kiwis are so desperate to play origin the can set up there own origin style contest.

No offense to any Kiwis on this forum

Yep I agree. It totally cheapens the whole concept of origin if we let Kiwis play. We may as well go back to the 70s where the team you play for depends on where you're playing that year.

It would add a new dimension to Origin if Kiwis were allowed to play, and at first last night I thought it would be a good idea. However after consideration (in other words, my mind wandering while I was trying to do assignments) I started thinking about what origin is actually about. Vautin spoke of it last night, the rivalry and the emotion you play with, that's origin. It would be short changing the concept of it if we let just anybody play.

Nope. Don't let them play.

I did earn A LOT of respect for him last night though. Great interview.

He's definately got brains in his head than I gave him credit for.

Ditto to what Scotty said..we were talking about it last night on MSN. I think that they could incorporate it into Origin but then would it still have the same feeling and passion?

Aussie said:
Nope. Don't let them play.

I did earn A LOT of respect for him last night though. Great interview.

I like the guy very honest, raised some good points regarding Polynesia's and the Mason issue.

Don't agree with him about Kiwis being allowed to play Origin though but see his point about representing NSW in his teens.

The problem is (and was raised in the Interview) it isn't a case of "not allowing Kiwis" in SOO.

They are already there.
They will continue to be.

SBW was alluding to the reality that more Kiwis will simply "choose" QLD and NSW over their natural country. Whether you like it or not, the kiwis will continue to play for QLD and NSW but it will be the Test series that suffers longer term.

There needs to be an outlet for the guys in some vein - whether that be turning it into a tri-series or adding more test matches each year. SBW had a decent point, the Australian team technically plays together 3 more times per year with SOO - the Kiwis need something comparable if we want international football to become healthier.

Need to expand the Origin concept to include a "Rest of them" team made up of Kiwis and whoever else is in the NRL not eligible for QLD or NSW.

Coxy said:
Need to expand the Origin concept to include a "Rest of them" team made up of Kiwis and whoever else is in the NRL not eligible for QLD or NSW.

Nah, it's QLD and NSW. Screw the rest :D

And League will continue to be viewed as a sport played in 2 states of Australia, with token representation in NZ and the north of England.

The game has to think more internationally. Shorten the club comp, play Origin over 3 consecutive weeks after the Grand Final, increase the amount of internationals.

The game won't die if they don't, but it'll never grow outside of the NRL and ESL, and in time it risks being run over by the gAyFL and gAy-League Sucker.

I'm not against expansion, I think we need it but Origin has that special...something for lack of a better world. And by bringing in another team I think we would lose it.

Expand the international program but all means but Origin has to remain QLD vs NSW. QLD vs the rest just won't feel the same. I don't think we should lose that feeling.

Coxy said:

Don't phuck with STATE of origin. If the Kiwis want more competition then they can start their own. (North Island vs South)

Coxy said:
And League will continue to be viewed as a sport played in 2 states of Australia, with token representation in NZ and the north of England.

The game has to think more internationally. Shorten the club comp, play Origin over 3 consecutive weeks after the Grand Final, increase the amount of internationals.

The game won't die if they don't, but it'll never grow outside of the NRL and ESL, and in time it risks being run over by the gAyFL and gAy-League Sucker.

I'm sure as an administrator on this website, you could have probably got your point across without stooping as low as an 8 year old calling things gay.

Just because you don't like a couple of sports, doesn't mean everyone needs to see your childish opinion.

The ARL needs to step it up a gear and throw some money at other nations, or the fans whinging need to stop whinging on the Internet, and do something about it.

Kiwis shouldn't play Stat of Origin. Origin being the key word here.
Wasn't SB saying aswell, why was he able to play for NSW up until 18 or something but then he can't play for NSW in 1st grade? They need to get it straight and just say either YES or NO.
Whats stopping NZ setting up there own Origin?? Could be like Island of Origin or something.

Its just clear that SBW doesn't understand what Origin is all about.

Remember players like Bob Lindner who were ordinary at club level in the NSWRL but were picked in the Queensland side, and as soon as he put that Maroon jersey on he instatly grew 10-feet tall. These days I suppose you could put Nate Myles and Brent Tate in that category based on their 2007 performances.

It's because of the passion instilled in that jersey, no way would SBW understand the concept of all that.

And we can't criticize him for that either. It's not in his blood, he doesn't know about the passion, it's sad, because a Kiwi / Islander Origin could be huge, and the game could be just as tough.

Shame the NZRL can't try a little harder to push the game over in Kiwi.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • porouian
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • Jazza
  • Gaz
  • Harry Sack
  • theshed
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Culhwch
  • broncsgoat
  • Lazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.