SOS Hodgo

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Former Maroons centre Justin Hodges has revealed that Queensland coach Kevin Walters approached him about an Origin comeback in 2016 in the wake of the long-term injury suffered by Will Chambers.

Hodges considers Origin comeback - NRL.com

It doesn't appear as if Hodges will take Kevie up on his half-hearted offer but it's food for thought.

Would you consider a Hodgo comeback?

Every day and twice on Sundays. He's worth more than just his skill set.

Hang on...

Didn't you want Hodges to retire two years ago Morks?

Which is funny really. If we were struggling as a club, sending a Tunza-like SOS I wouldn't agree with as it'd be a lazy stop-gap. But for Origin, which itself has limited preparation, Hodgo is probably just as drilled, arguably more so, than a rookie (despite not grinding it out each week for a club).

While we're at it may as well see if Lockyer or Wally want a run too.

Would absolutely cream my jeans if Hodgo came back to play origin this year. Genuinely cream.

Hang on...

Didn't you want Hodges to retire two years ago Morks?

I was seriously questioning his future, enough for the Inaugural 24 Hour Thread Of Doom, that's for sure ;)

But he came good, and clearly reads BHQ as he went a long way to fixing most of our criticisms. Like I said above, no to a club comeback, but a one-off (well, three-off) hit & run, absolutely.

Would absolutely cream my jeans if Hodgo came back to play origin this year. Genuinely cream.

Might as well ring around for a 2-for-1 jeans deal because mine would be ruined too.

Would absolutely love this. One of my favourite ever players, would be amazing to see him go around one more time. He's more than capable, as long as he's kept his fitness up.

Would absolutely love this. One of my favourite ever players, would be amazing to see him go around one more time. He's more than capable, as long as he's kept his fitness up.

Better make that 3 Morks.

As much as it'd be awesome to have Godges play for Queensland one last time, it just won't happen, and I'd be super worried about his hamstrings.

As amazing as it would be, it's a bad idea for so many reasons - the biggest one being match fitness.

Origin matches are some of, if not the most intense matches in rugby league. You can't afford to have a bloke out there whose preparation consists of some trainings run in camp leading up to the match. He'd go down like a sack of spuds after 10 minutes, especially considering his injury history... then you're playing a man down for the remainder of the match.

Also, what kind of message does it send other potential players? Hey, you guys slug away all you want for the first half of the season, but we'll ignore your efforts and pick a bloke who although is an absolute legend, hasn't played any NRL this season.

Nup, this is something NSW would do, get desperate and live in the past.

As amazing as it would be, it's a bad idea for so many reasons - the biggest one being match fitness.

Origin matches are some of, if not the most intense matches in rugby league. You can't afford to have a bloke out there whose preparation consists of some trainings run in camp leading up to the match. He'd go down like a sack of spuds after 10 minutes, especially considering his injury history... then you're playing a man down for the remainder of the match.

Also, what kind of message does it send other potential players? Hey, you guys slug away all you want for the first half of the season, but we'll ignore your efforts and pick a bloke who although is an absolute legend, hasn't played any NRL this season.

Why? Remember he came back from an injury where he hadn't played for more than a year, and scored a match winning try? He certainly didn't go down or look like he was struggling in that game. As the man said himself, it wouldn't be much different from coming back from a long term injury.

Refer to 1:18 in that video [video]https://youtu.be/RxmroBo3uWs?t=78[/video] Awesome video for the Hodges' fans out there. Definitely worth the watch.

Last edited:
In fairness, Alf was playing in the UK and hadn't fully retired, unlike Hodgo.

I'd love it, but it won't happen. Not Game 1 anyway... :spy:

Why? Remember he came back from an injury where he hadn't played for more than a year, and scored a match winning try? He certainly didn't go down or look like he was struggling in that game. As the man said himself, it wouldn't be much different from coming back from a long term injury.

Refer to 1:18 in that video [video]https://youtu.be/RxmroBo3uWs?t=78[/video] Awesome video for the Hodges' fans out there. Definitely worth the watch.

Was he playing against some of the best players from NSW though?

^^ Pretty much this. A big no from me.

Another thing is he already went out a winner in the best way possible, a 52-6 drubbing where he got to kick the last goal.
Imagine if he plays and Qld lose. Not only has he spoilt his Origin legacy but you can bet he will get alot of the blame for the loss. Too old , too slow they will say. Should have stayed retired they will say.

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • Skyblues87
  • kman
  • RodF
  • Harry Sack
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Robboi_321
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • winslow_wong
  • Spoon
  • Nerd
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.