"South East QLD Titans"

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
https://www.9news.com.au/national/g...ort-news/0e3097ce-b124-449a-8b1c-2600f580a20c

The Gold Coast Titans could become Brisbane’s second rugby league team, with reports the club could be headed to a new home ground with a new name.
9News has been told former players John Ribot and Chris Johns are involved in the plan to give the Titans a Brisbane foothold with the struggling club to play the majority of their games in the capital.
As many as eight games could be moved from C Bus Stadium, with reports Suncorp Stadium has been approached about how future games could be accommodated.
Gold Coast Titans
The Titans could be headed north to Brisbane, (AAP)
Kevin Walters is reportedly being pushed as coach in the plan which is yet to be put to NRL boss Todd Greenberg.
Chris Johns has denied being involved in any such plan, but admitted he’d had unofficial talks with Titans board member and part-owner Rebecca Frizelle.
Ms Frizelle has also denied any involvement or knowledge.
http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F09%2F08%2F22%2F22%2Ftitans_080917_g_1000.jpg
Board member and part owner Rebecca Frizelle. ()
Dwindling crowds, a horror season and the sacking of coach Garth Brennan is in line with a sad and turbulent history of professional Gold Coast sporting teams.
The embattled former club first known as the Giants, then the Seagulls and later the Chargers, played between 1988 and 1998 until it was disbanded following the Super League war between the Australian Rugby League and the Australian Super League.

Just reported on Nine News. The Titans are planning to permanently play 8 of their home games out of Suncorp Stadium, in an attempt to save the club from oblivion by essentially becoming the "2nd Brisbane team". They are also even considering renaming them to the title of the thread in an effort to save the brand. They will continue to train and be located on the GC.

I would imagine White was sitting in his office this evening with a nice smirk on his face over this news. If this kills the idea of a second Brisbane team in NRL circles for the sake of the Titans who will never catch up to the Broncos in a million years, I'd say this outcome is a net win for the Broncos but a pretty big monkey on the NRL's back.

Last edited:
No objection.

Good to have nrl practically every week at lang park.

Reebs , Johnsy , Kevvie plus Mal will make them into a good team.

If they pick the right teams to play for their lang park games, I'll go watch.

Still feel a Logan or Ipswich base is better. Gold Coast is a graveyard for sports teams.

The other Gold Coast sides did not work.

South Queensland Crushers did not work.

Gold Coast Titans is not working.

There seems to be a trend there...

The Crushers didn't work for complex reasons but in my opinion it was largely due to two central faults. Firstly they were adversarial towards a beloved favourite team and secondly their foundations were rotten.

I say rotten because they were sponsored and supported by what was supposed to be an administrative group/organization, the QRL yet initially that group flat out lied to the public denying any affiliation whatsoever. In fact the QRL actively sought to undermine the much more professional Broncos whilst supporting a competitor in the same competition. They were encouraged I believe by the much more powerful NSWRL to hamstring the Broncos.

If the Titans do fold and are reborn in Brisbane AND embrace my beloved Ipswich (whilst ever Ribot and John's are involved) I think they'll be a success. They'll be upfront and will hold themselves to the highest standards. A genuine second Brisbane team will give me a second team to really get behind. I'm all for it.

I don't think another NRL team in brisbane will do to well. The only chance it has if its a completely new franchise. Relocating one won't work. A lot of the people i know on gold coast (myself included) grew up supporting the Broncos and even though the Titans came, none of us switched to them. This idea that Brisbane people will go to any games at suncorp also isn't that true. The Thursday night game during magic round had $10 tickets and between titans and sharks and it had a crowd of like 15,000. Not great. Just look at crowds for the reds as well. Even broncos crowds have been lower the past couple years (probably due to all the crappy thursday night games).

I hate this. But for the good of the game, get it done. The last thing we need are failing clubs outside of Sydney. Let the NRL focus their attention on those useless assholes down there, and just let QLD make the good calls for their own clubs.

Suncorp is a better stadium, and the fans deserve better than what they are getting out of CBUS with no fans or money coming in.

Change the colours, drop the GC name and go with South Queensland (Counting Logan, Beenleigh, Yatala, GC etc) and throw them at Logan but they play out of both Suncorp and Robina

Logan is not Brisbane no matter how much they want it to be, and they can still call it the M1 derby and all that shit

Last edited:
They would need a marquis signing. I hear Sir Jarryd is looking for a club.

As long as they were honest and had the same values and standards as the Broncos they'd be successful. That's provided they lived up to the standards and values I mean. We should have two teams in Brisbane and I understand the notion a marquee player is required but don't agree one is. Being competitive from the outset would be the first step and that's possible without a superstar as the QLD team has shown in the past when circumstances stopped them fielding a team with a star or ten.

Make it happen. The further from the border, the lower the infection rate!

WATT: We are not moving anywhere
Titans.com.au
Thu 18 Jul 2019, 01:08 PM

Gold Coast Titans Executive Chairman Dennis Watt has dismissed reports that the club is discussing plans to rebrand and relocate to Brisbane.

“For the benefit of Titans Members, fans and sponsors, here are the facts: We are the Gold Coast Titans, and that is how we will stay,” Watt said.

“The Gold Coast is our city, and we are here to stay to proudly represent our community.

“The Gold Coast and Northern Rivers region has a long and proud history with rugby league stretching back to the game’s roots in this country. We are custodians of the game in our region, and passionate supporters of rugby league and our community.

“We are not moving anywhere, nor are we changing our name or ownership.

“We are committed to the Gold Coast, as evidenced in our current negotiations for an early conversion of our five-year extension on our lease at Parkwood, and our development application for the Titans Community Club, which is currently before Council.

“We are regularly approached by good people who want to help the Titans reach their full and successful potential, and we appreciate their support of the club.

“But while we never stop listening to interesting proposals, and will always keep an open mind about possibilities to grow and strengthen the Titans, the possibility of restructuring, relocating and rebranding the club has not been contemplated.

“Yesterday’s media speculation is incorrect.”

Source: titans.com.au

lol this seems like a Brennan leak to me. I wonder how much truth there is to it.

You would have to think it's been at least discussed. Tapping into the market of people who hate the Broncos, but want the ease of being able to get to the stadium. I'm surprised they haven't played more up here already.

Maybe their five ticketed members kicked up a stink.

WATT: We are not moving anywhere
Titans.com.au
Thu 18 Jul 2019, 01:08 PM

Gold Coast Titans Executive Chairman Dennis Watt has dismissed reports that the club is discussing plans to rebrand and relocate to Brisbane.

“For the benefit of Titans Members, fans and sponsors, here are the facts: We are the Gold Coast Titans, and that is how we will stay,” Watt said.

“The Gold Coast is our city, and we are here to stay to proudly represent our community.

“The Gold Coast and Northern Rivers region has a long and proud history with rugby league stretching back to the game’s roots in this country. We are custodians of the game in our region, and passionate supporters of rugby league and our community.

“We are not moving anywhere, nor are we changing our name or ownership.

“We are committed to the Gold Coast, as evidenced in our current negotiations for an early conversion of our five-year extension on our lease at Parkwood, and our development application for the Titans Community Club, which is currently before Council.

“We are regularly approached by good people who want to help the Titans reach their full and successful potential, and we appreciate their support of the club.

“But while we never stop listening to interesting proposals, and will always keep an open mind about possibilities to grow and strengthen the Titans, the possibility of restructuring, relocating and rebranding the club has not been contemplated.

“Yesterday’s media speculation is incorrect.”

Source: titans.com.au

That statement that ‘we aren’t going anywhere etc.’ sounds eerily like ‘the coach has the full support of the board etc.’ and we all know what can happen after that.
On that basis alone there could be something to this.

“We are committed to the Gold Coast”. All well and good, Mr Watt, but the Gold Coast people don’t appear to be committed to you.

That’s not a bad point.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fitzy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • Skyblues87
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.