South Sydney and Michael Maguire part ways

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Michael Maguire sacked by the Rabbitohs apparently

Michael Maguire leaves South Sydney effective immediatley by mutual consent
The Daily Telegraph8 minutes ago

MICHAEL Maguire has left the Rabbitohs via mutual consent effective immediately.

The 2014 premiership coach met with the club’s board of directors on Tuesday and was released from the final years of his contract.

Maguire had been contracted to coach South Sydney until the end of 2019.

The 43-year old has coached the Rabbitohs since 2012, winning the 2014 title and taking the club to the finals four times.
He won 92 of his 165 games in charge.

Maguire has been linked with the vacant Titans job for several days.

More to come.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/20b834695f214c9ffd35b5200a101895

Maguire has lots of friends in the media it seems. Plenty of them talking him up at the moment. Souths have been pretty awful for a while now though. Overrated?

FB IMG 1504606264858

Maguire has lots of friends in the media it seems. Plenty of them talking him up at the moment. Souths have been pretty awful for a while now though. Overrated?
I think perhaps Madge was undermined by Rusty and the desperation to get Burgess back at the club at all costs, meaning they didn't have the cash to replace the guys they lost to the salary cap after their GF win.

No coach will do well there while the owner is attempting to run the place and dictate things. Crowe insists on the overrated Burgess boys, while the coach gets fired.

I think McGuire's coaching method has shown what would happen with a Bellamy-type coaching style but without a couple of long-term elites. The players just get burned out. You hear the players talk about doing everything with the same intensity as game-day. There's no let-up, ever. Players like Smith and Cronk are already geared that way, but the Burgess boys have nothing left in the tank. They've gone from the world's best to inconsistent, sloppy, and disinterested.

McGuire would be great for the Titans over a 3-4 year span.

The Lurker saying Gagai's move to the Rabbitohs is in jeopardy since Maguire will no longer be coaching the Rabbitohs.

Apparently Gagai joined the Rabbitohs because Maguire was the coach and now that he has been booted, Gagai isn't very happy about that.

Why do I get the feeling Bennnett is going to swoop in if it turns out to be true?

The Lurker saying Gagai's move to the Rabbitohs is in jeopardy since Maguire will no longer be coaching the Rabbitohs.

Apparently Gagai joined the Rabbitohs because Maguire was the coach and now that he has been booted, Gagai isn't very happy about that.

Why do I get the feeling Bennnett is going to swoop in if it turns out to be true?

I wonder if uncle Wayne places a sneaky call to Gags?

I think McGuire's coaching method has shown what would happen with a Bellamy-type coaching style but without a couple of long-term elites. The players just get burned out. You hear the players talk about doing everything with the same intensity as game-day. There's no let-up, ever. Players like Smith and Cronk are already geared that way, but the Burgess boys have nothing left in the tank. They've gone from the world's best to inconsistent, sloppy, and disinterested.

McGuire would be great for the Titans over a 3-4 year span.

Has Maguire been linked to the Titans job? Wonder how Hayne would go under his training regime?

a) it is from the Lurker, so i don't count on that even been remotely accurate.

b) I can't see the Rabbitohs agreeing to release him from his contract, and carrying a portion of his salary on the cap for the next few years

a) it is from the Lurker, so i don't count on that even been remotely accurate.

b) I can't see the Rabbitohs agreeing to release him from his contract, and carrying a portion of his salary on the cap for the next few years

Considering the Rabbitohs position, they may not have a choice.

The last thing they need is player unrest. Players that don't want to be there dragging the team down.

They might decide releasing him is in the best interests of the club and team morale so they can focus on building the side back up to a premiership threat.

And if Gagai doesn't want to be there and he isn't happy, I wonder what GI will think about the Rabbitohs forcing his hand.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.