[Split] Bennett in Newcastle

Splitting hairs because you want your coach to have success as a coach. Look at Penrith, Gus has had success as a director but you have Cleary adding to their cause as coach.

If WB were only doing the Gus role at Newcastle would they really be any worse off?

We've already established that his first grade stint was a failure.

Just pointing out that there were benefits that never get the air play they deserve.

Not saying it absolves him of anything, just that it's worth pointing out.

A lot of people, including myself have always wanted WB back at the club, to do what he did at the Knights with their football organisation, and bring the same professional attitude, mentality and responsibility to the whole Broncos football department, but from a management/supervisory/mentoring position, not as the head coach.

As Ari said, his primary task at the Knights, was coaching the FG team to success, and he clearly failed to do so, leaving said team in a worse position than it was when he came in.
Yes, he did some good work, and the Knights may or may not profit from it in the future.

In summary, he failed as Head Coach and partially succeeded as Football Director.

In summary 15 out of 16 coaches failed in 2014....... That is if the only measure of success is the GF trophy. He was both successful and unsuccessful depending on how success is measured. As a fg coach he was moderately successful being midfield over the three years...that is fact. He was neither wildly unsuccessful nor spectacularly successful . He was average. I expected better of him but I don't know what difficulties he faced. As for Porthozs statement that he left the place worse off, how so ? They weren't successful before he went there and had a drug culture combined with poor attitude when he arrived, how do you know they are worse off ?

Broncos - 2015 Discussion

Fucking Rick Stone, right? Terrible coach..

He would be a world beater if Sheens picked him!

I keep reading how WB left the knights in a better position, yet after signing old props like Mason, Faalogo and Newton he's left them with what? Kade Snowden and the need to recruit a Dragons outcast?

Given the article said WB is a supercoach, it's pretty ironic.

Re: Broncos - 2015 Discussion

I keep reading how WB left the knights in a better position, yet after signing old props like Mason, Faalogo and Newton he's left them with what? Kade Snowden and the need to recruit a Dragons outcast?

Given the article said WB is a supercoach, it's pretty ironic.

I'm pretty sure more than half of the posters on the topic said he left the Knights in a worse position and my response to that was "good, **** the Knights". Unless of course you're talking about Knights fans or select posters on here who claim that Bennett and Boyd leaving has left them in a better place?

I'm pretty sure more than half of the posters on the topic said he left the Knights in a worse position and my response to that was "good, **** the Knights". Unless of course you're talking about Knights fans or select posters on here who claim that Bennett and Boyd leaving has left them in a better place?

I got smashed in another thread for saying that the majority of us think the knights are in a worse positions, guess it just depends who writes the post to whether or not people want to agree.

Foxsports and the media in general absoutely love bennett and seem to go from thinking blair is the worst buy in nrl history, to ranking him and mcguire up there with the best props in the game just because bennett signed him. Bennett (in the eyes of the media) can do no wrong. If his team is successful, its because of him, if they are not, its because of external factors. The knights being left in a shithouse state is proof of that. In the media, no-one has criticized bennett for it, whether it be wrong or right, it just hasnt happened.

Moved posts here... let's try to not clog every thread with Bennett stuff.

I got smashed in another thread for saying that the majority of us think the knights are in a worse positions, guess it just depends who writes the post to whether or not people want to agree.

Foxsports and the media in general absoutely love bennett and seem to go from thinking blair is the worst buy in nrl history, to ranking him and mcguire up there with the best props in the game just because bennett signed him. Bennett (in the eyes of the media) can do no wrong. If his team is successful, its because of him, if they are not, its because of external factors. The knights being left in a shithouse state is proof of that. In the media, no-one has criticized bennett for it, whether it be wrong or right, it just hasnt happened.

We've been through this dude. The media is a bag of dicks.

Who cares. The media are fucking idiots. They all have their bias and they all just write whatever they think will get them readers and keep them in a job.

Posts like this is what make people question your impartiality in regards to anything Bennett. Stamping your feet and screaming "why don't they hate him as much as I do?!?" seems pretty futile.

Who cares. The media are fucking idiots. They all have their bias and they all just write whatever they think will get them readers and keep them in a job.

Posts like this is what make people question your impartiality in regards to anything Bennett. Stamping your feet and screaming "why don't they hate him as much as I do?!?" seems pretty futile.

Im not "stamping my feet and screaming" mate, im not even complaining. I was making an observation. ease up turbo, calm ur tits

Foxsports and the media in general absoutely love bennett and seem to go from thinking blair is the worst buy in nrl history, to ranking him and mcguire up there with the best props in the game just because bennett signed him. Bennett (in the eyes of the media) can do no wrong. If his team is successful, its because of him, if they are not, its because of external factors. The knights being left in a ****house state is proof of that. In the media, no-one has criticized bennett for it, whether it be wrong or right, it just hasnt happened.

Factors that influenced how the Knights being left in a shit-house state:

1. Tinkler
2. Horrific Alex McKinnon injury
3. Other things (including, possibly, Wayne Bennett's performance)

Foxsports and the media in general absoutely love bennett and seem to go from thinking blair is the worst buy in nrl history, to ranking him and mcguire up there with the best props in the game just because bennett signed him. Bennett (in the eyes of the media) can do no wrong. If his team is successful, its because of him, if they are not, its because of external factors. The knights being left in a ****house state is proof of that. In the media, no-one has criticized bennett for it, whether it be wrong or right, it just hasnt happened.

Your final point was a good one. I've wondered the same thing. It's a results driven business whether we like it or not, unfortunately. You only have to look at the bagging coaches like Steve Price copped to realise they're not all equals.

Perhaps his forthright press conference caused the media to go easy on him. When announcing his departure from Newcastle, Bennett said he was "embarrassed and disappointed" and says their performances have not been satisfactory.

It's tough for the media to pile on when you're bagging yourself, I'm guessing.

Your final point was a good one. I've wondered the same thing. It's a results driven business whether we like it or not, unfortunately. You only have to look at the bagging coaches like Steve Price copped to realise they're not all equals.

Perhaps his forthright press conference caused the media to go easy on him. When announcing his departure from Newcastle, Bennett said he was "embarrassed and disappointed" and says their performances have not been satisfactory.

It's tough for the media to pile on when you're bagging yourself, I'm guessing.

Because there are 2 easier identifiable causes - Tinkler's mismanagement and McKinnon's horrific injury.

2012 was a rebuilding year. They had some incredible turnover that year like 15 new players. Bennett rebuilding the roster. Suggest Broncos may suffer the same fate in 2015.

The Knights massively over-achieved in 2013. Bennett was the coach at the time so has to take some credit for that, IMO. That was their premiership window right there; they were prepared well, and almost swooped. Ours will probably be 2016. The salary cap means there'll never be a dynsaty like the Broncos enjoyed in the 90s. Coincidentally, that was Wayne Bennett at the helm at the time, but that is neither here nor there apparently.

By Round 3, 2014 the Knights season was over. Simple as that. Perhaps you could use that as evidence of Bennett's inability to forge a team together in tough circumstances. Losing a playing to quadraplegia is a different kettle of fish to most run of the mill sporting dilemmas.

Because there are 2 easier identifiable causes - Tinkler's mismanagement and McKinnon's horrific injury.

2012 was a rebuilding year. They had some incredible turnover that year like 15 new players. Bennett rebuilding the roster. Suggest Broncos may suffer the same fate in 2015.

The Knights massively over-achieved in 2013. Bennett was the coach at the time so has to take some credit for that, IMO. That was their premiership window right there; they were prepared well, and almost swooped. Ours will probably be 2016. The salary cap means there'll never be a dynsaty like the Broncos enjoyed in the 90s. Coincidentally, that was Wayne Bennett at the helm at the time, but that is neither here nor there apparently.

By Round 3, 2014 the Knights season was over. Simple as that. Perhaps you could use that as evidence of Bennett's inability to forge a team together in tough circumstances. Losing a playing to quadraplegia is a different kettle of fish to most run of the mill sporting dilemmas.

I agree with all of that. I also think people are too quick to dismiss Alex McKinnon's injury and the effect it had. I realise career-ending and season-ending injuries happen all the time - it's part and parcel of the game but that situation was different. Plain and simple.

I can forgive the Knights failure after Alex's incident, but I can't forgive the assembly of the squad that had that failure. Even without the incident it's still an incredibly old forward pack.

I can forgive the Knights failure after Alex's incident, but I can't forgive the assembly of the squad that had that failure. Even without the incident it's still an incredibly old forward pack.

I've heard people blaming the Knights roster a fair bit for their failure last year ... But people conveniently forget that it was Bennett that put that roster together

Active Now

• BruiserMk1
  • Foordy
  • Lurker
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Browny
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Wolfie
  • Jazza
  • Midean
  • Brocko
  • Skyblues87
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncsgoat
  • Shane Tronc
  • FACTHUNT
  • teampjta
  • tajhay
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.