NEWS Staggs: I'm back, and even sorrier than last time

Kotoni Staggs will never ever do it again, whatever it was he did:

“I’ve put my hand up for the mistakes I’ve made off the field. Everyone makes mistakes at different times in their lives and no-one is perfect, but I’m living and learning my lessons and from here onwards I want to be the best person I can be and be a role model."

“What has come out with these incidents – it’s not really me. I’m a better person than that and I’m not just letting myself down at the end of the day, I’m letting down my family and my teammates and the fans."

“That’s pretty sad for me but now it’s time to get my head in the right place and move forward, and I promise I’m doing that.”

“I want to be a leader. I want to help my teammates as much as I can, I want to continue to grow and help the younger players out and be a leader and a mentor."

“A few guys have chosen to leave the Broncos but there are even more key players who’ve chosen to stay, and others like Adam Reynolds (South Sydney halfback) who are coming to our club, so we’ve got a lot to look forward to in the future.

“Coming through as a young fella at the Broncos, I always wanted to be in a position where I could sign a big contract with this club because it’s where I want to be, and now there a lot of younger fellas in the team and I want to stay here for another four years and help those younger boys come through.”

Screen11

Incidents

Ayatollah Abdo earlier:

“I’ve spoken with Kotoni and we’ve discussed his situation and his indiscretions. He knows exactly what he needs to do to get back on the field. Together, with the Broncos, we’ve put the education and training programs in place to support Kotoni in rehabilitating. He’s in the process of completing those programs. There’s no doubt he’s a talented athlete with the potential to be a successful player."

“Ultimately though, it’s up to Kotoni to make the positive changes to get his career back on the right path.”

F4e52f9aad8977e9ade0ada4fe8a388e

Leadership

Donuts:

“Our commitment to Kotoni is not just to get him back on the field. It’s a journey to ensure he can grow into a position of leadership and achieve his potential, not just on-field but off-field.”

McHunt

Staggs will kill it at 5/8. He is a heads up player which is exactly what we need in a 5/8 to partner Reynolds. Run first, pass second should be his motto at all costs. He just needs to play what's in front of him, don't worry at all about organizing shit, and demand the ball when he wants it.

Staggs will kill it at 5/8. He is a heads up player which is exactly what we need in a 5/8 to partner Reynolds. Run first, pass second should be his motto at all costs. He just needs to play what's in front of him, don't worry at all about organizing shit, and demand the ball when he wants it.
Needs to be able to pass also.

It wont happen, will be a disaster with him stuck in quick sand.

Staggs with ball in hand at 5/8:

"What tackle is it?"
"What play are we running?"
"Are there any numbers advantages?"
"How come Turps ignored my call last set?"
"Should I kick it, not too deep don't want to give away 7 tackles?"
"I should maybe run it and get a quick play the ball"
"Why the **** aren't my decoys in place?"
"What's the score?"
"What did Alfie mean when he said run the good ball plays next set"

Staggs at centre:

"Catch the ball, fucken run hard and smash pricks"

Staggs at 5/8 vs the Rabbitohs rnd 2 last year = 3 tries and win
Staggs at 5/8 Tonga vs Australia = win where he was one of the best on the field
5/8 isn't that hard when you have a capable halfback that organizes everything and we just happen to have one of the best in the business next year at the club in Reynolds. Staggs has always been a heads up footy player. Plays what's in front of him and isn't suited to a structure. Reynolds will give him all the freedom in the world to do what he does best. As long as both halves play both sides of the field, staggs should be more than fine to handle the 5/8 role.

Staggs at 5/8 vs the Rabbitohs rnd 2 last year = 3 tries and win
Staggs at 5/8 Tonga vs Australia = win where he was one of the best on the field
5/8 isn't that hard when you have a capable halfback that organizes everything and we just happen to have one of the best in the business next year at the club in Reynolds. Staggs has always been a heads up footy player. Plays what's in front of him and isn't suited to a structure. Reynolds will give him all the freedom in the world to do what he does best. As long as both halves play both sides of the field, staggs should be more than fine to handle the 5/8 role.

I’m with you, I think he will surprise many but it won’t be a smooth ride, there will be ups and downs along the way.

I have never seen staggs put a team mate through a hole, or participate in a set play where he is not the intended recipient. I have also seen him kick for himself when he could have just easily passed for a team mate to score a certain try (luckily he did get to it but it was hardly certain - this was in the souths game last year when he filled in at 6 i think. On that play paix and bullemore were supporting right next to him).

Like it or not these are basic ball skills that 6n nrl quality 6 needs. Having a power runner that just sticks it under his arm and runs restricts our attacking threats and can be nullified by getting numbers into tackles (as we have seen teams nullify fifita). Having him further in field (at 6) just means the opposition can get more numbers and more capable defenders at him (2nd rowers)

Can’t he do that as a centre

Staggs will be a good running six for a while, but if we don't sign a fullback that can ball play pr set things up we will still struggle as a team. Defense will just have to move up on Reynolds on the last tackle too.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Wolfie
  • Alec
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Johnny92
  • barker
  • Griffo
  • Tim K
  • Broncosgirl
  • Behold
  • bazza
  • Justwin
  • broncos4life
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.