Staggs Walters Riki

Played 12 tests, won a Dally M, Preston Cambell Medal and best forward at the Storm 2 years running. Fair to say he's an "elite" hooker. I'm not talking about the last week.

He played a lot of lock in Melbourne .
Part of why he has struggled this year . He was too heavy and muscular to have acceleration and cardio at hooker . Good for shrugging tackles or offloading . Not so good for explosiveness late in halves .

Smith is just not a good front line number 9. He is a great back up and a really great utility but he isn't an elite nine and the question marks were very loud on that before he signed at the Roosters.

Walters can’t really be compared to Brandon Smith for the obvious reason, one is being paid as a marquee spine player and the other is not.

Walters has been better than Smith this year. Smith is barely a hooker at this point. Was good for 15 minutes with Grant, but can’t play as the main guy.

Walters can’t really be compared to Brandon Smith for the obvious reason, one is being paid as a marquee spine player and the other is not.
Even if they were on the same money, I wouldn't swap Walters for Smith.

Riki working on turning his kick pressure into trying to take the ball. Would be awesome if he can get it right!

He should definitely be someone we target on cross field kicks in the same way cows purposely kick for Nanai, and formerly Cooper.

He's athletic and lanky, if he all of a sudden becomes a threat on kicks then it becomes a great option.

Watch the tape of Linsay Collins stealing the ball from Teddy .
There`s your blue print Jordan .
I would be happy with him just playing the catcher and smashing them into the in goal. Less risky. Boy it would be scary catching a high ball knowing jordan riki is going to shatter your ribs the moment you catch it.

I would be happy with him just playing the catcher and smashing them into the in goal. Less risky. Boy it would be scary catching a high ball knowing jordan riki is going to shatter your ribs the moment you catch it.
The key would be the decision making.

Time of the game (early, late, etc.), state of the game (did we just score / looking to close out the game, etc.), who's the fullback, etc. cost vs reward

If he's coming up against a Jayden Campbell... he's short, doesn't really jump for the ball and when he catches it he usually drops straight to the ground to avoid getting belted... perfect candidate for Riki to compete for the ball.

However, if he's up against a Gutho then just focus on wrapping him up and defending. Gutho is good under the high ball and good catching it under pressure... He can also punish you if you miss your mark and over run it. Jayden can definitely hurt you on kicks as well, but if you can get to him cleanly and he has no support around then go for the catch.

In the first half of Game 2 Hammer and Taulagi were getting to To'o on the kicks and he had no support or blockers around him so he was primed for competing on kicks, but the Qld'ers were just looking to tackle him and complete the play. In the second half they completely changed that and started competing on pretty much every kick those two could get to... so it would seem that Billy spotted it and got his guys to change tactics.

If you drop a kick that you can get to cleanly and compete for then it's only going to cost you a knock on and changeover (assuming it's 10-30m out), which would be the case anyway... so there's no real negative to just competing for it and hoping to get it cleanly or force an error from the winger/fullback... more teams should be doing it really.

The key would be the decision making.

Time of the game (early, late, etc.), state of the game (did we just score / looking to close out the game, etc.), who's the fullback, etc. cost vs reward

If he's coming up against a Jayden Campbell... he's short, doesn't really jump for the ball and when he catches it he usually drops straight to the ground to avoid getting belted... perfect candidate for Riki to compete for the ball.

However, if he's up against a Gutho then just focus on wrapping him up and defending. Gutho is good under the high ball and good catching it under pressure... He can also punish you if you miss your mark and over run it.

In the first half of Game 2 Hammer and Taulagi were getting to To'o on the kicks and he had no support or blockers around him so he was primed for competing on kicks, but the Qld'ers were just looking to tackle him and complete the play. In the second half they completely changed that and started competing on pretty much every kick those two could get to... so it would seem that Billy spotted it and got his guys to change tactics.

If you drop a kick that you can get to cleanly and compete for then it's only going to cost you a knock on and changeover (assuming it's 10-30m out), which would be the case anyway... so there's no real negative to just competing for it and hoping to get it cleanly or force an error from the winger/fullback... more teams should be doing it really.
That's a really good point. We just need to make sure that there are Broncos players running behind Riki to ensure that there are no breaks by the opposition if Riki misses the ball and player completely.

“I've been getting a bit of heat for that for the last couple of rounds, just from the boys, like 'come on Jordan, you're tall, get up there and have a crack’ and that’s something I'm working on at training,” Riki said with a laugh.

There's some times where I feel like it's necessary to just hit them as hard as I can.
Broncos forward Jordan Riki

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Skathen
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • Mr Fourex
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Accept
  • Behold
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Hurrijo
  • Porthoz
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.