SPOILER Star Wars Episode IX

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
What's with the large amount of dislikes on the trailer(s)? Are the fans salty about something? I saw one today that was like 40% dislikes.
Yep, the last movie. To be fair, I get it because the last movie was a mess in many ways but I personally didn't mind it.

I do agree they painted themselves into the corner and resurrecting the emperor is a way to try and appease fans and get the disenchanted back.

I think most fans didn't like the choices made in 8 and while there are quite a few choices I wouldn't have made either, it was at least an interesting movie.

This one could be decent enough. It could also be an absolute mess but the trailers so far seem promising.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Too much work for midnight screening this time. Seeing it Thursday night with the New Boss.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Nope, it is an overall miss.

There are no spoilers here, I've been very careful about that but if you are worried, don't read on.

It is a miss for me purely because so much of what could have been cool comes out of nowhere due to The Last Jedi. I always felt The Last Jedi was judged prematurely and IX would really clarify whether it was good or not and this movie now makes it not for me.

I was one who liked The Last Jedi. This movie covers way too much, things happen way too quickly, too much of everything is retconned and Palps just doesn't work anymore. His story was so expertly finished, it should have been left how it was. This could have worked if they had split it into 8 and 9.

Some things were cool and there were two characters in particular that really progressed well. Lots of others were just horribly handled. I've got to say though, Rey is one of the best aspects of this one, nailed her character, even if two movies too late. The Leia thing actually mostly works, kudos for that.

This movie is going to divide Star Wars fans a lot once again. In itself, it is a good enough movie if you don't think too hard because there are plot holes everywhere. I guess i should say it looks good, very beautifully done movie. The story is just all over the place. There is no tension until the very end, even then, meh.

I just didn't really like it due to how many things came out of nowhere.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
Way too many fake outs. This is the most inconsistent trilogy tonally I think I've ever seen. J.J should have committed to all three, and made it his trilogy. But he is a hack.

This should have been Kylo's trilogy, in retrospect. If they had taken that route, it would have been far more rewarding overall. Rey still feels shoved in there, I think she was originally meant to belong to the you know what family. Definitely her most interesting movie of the three though.

SO many missed opportunities. Lazy writers. At times I felt I wasn't watching a movie, as great as it often looked visually - I was watching plot points meet a time quota.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Way too many fake outs. This is the most inconsistent trilogy tonally I think I've ever seen. J.J should have committed to all three, and made it his trilogy. But he is a hack.

This should have been Kylo's trilogy, in retrospect. If they had taken that route, it would have been far more rewarding overall. Rey still feels shoved in there, I think she was originally meant to belong to the you know what family. Definitely her most interesting movie of the three though.

SO many missed opportunities. Lazy writers. At times I felt I wasn't watching a movie, as great as it often looked visually - I was watching plot points meet a time quota.
You've nailed it. There is just no way Palps was ever meant to be the big bad or Rey the you know who she really was. And the fact that she is who she is leads to soooo many more now unanswered questions and...I'm gonna spoiler tag here:

and...it humanises Palps now. That is a huge problem for me. So somewhere out there, Palps had a gal pal and that is a story I am just not interested in. And they channel all the Jedi and all the Sith...like what? That isn't the 'there can only be two' way. And who the heck was those Palps fanboys during that final ridiculous anointing ceremony? And ten blue sky beams instead of the usual Marvel movie one, yay?

And I need to vent, no one I know has seen it. Hux? Seriously? At least that was alluded to but he gets the big reveal and BOOM! He dead.

And yes, it was refreshing to have an old school cold and calculated admiral but who was he and why the hey did he outrank Hux all of a sudden?? And that line of serving just he did in the old empire, mmm...k.

This move was an absolute mess and all this build up to the Knights of Ren and they are just there before going down like punks. And the Chewy death scene fake out? WHAAAAT??

This move makes me so angry. Seriously, there are many other points I couldn't stand in this thing. The trilogy was a mess. Leia WAS a Jedi hey but gave it up for...reasons? I can live with that and thought it was actually a cool choice actually, had it not just been thrown in there.

And wait, Finn is a Jedi? He is force sensitive now because...he believes? Or is that a future story where he also becomes a Jedi? I actually thought this was REALLY cool and does actually link to 7 but...let's just ignore it after revealing it?

So...giving life is an unnatural ability only available through the dark side...so Rey...the Jedi one...who has like almost never been tempted by the dark side...ever...can suddenly do it?

And on that point, I liked her progression in this movie but it just makes 7 and 8 look like wheel spinning and suddenly she can do absolutely everything with a few months training with Leia??

There are so many more things I want to rant on but Kylo Ben Ren Solo...his change back to the light was cool...but absolutely contrary to The Last Jedi. If Snoke was gone, he should have stayed the big bad with Rey eventually being revealed as his sister.

OH one more thing and for me it is the BIGGEST anger point for me now. Anakin's sacrifice was in vain, Palps 'survived somehow' (direct quote from the movie I might add) and Anakin hasn't been seen since. The reason why the story of Luke was so good was because really, he was the conduit to get the chosen one to bring balance to the force. But no, his sacrifice now is absolutely in vain. His redemption didn't spur on Ren, it was the fact he wanted to hook up with Rey.

So a Palpatine who pseudos as a Skywalker now was the real chosen one. How can you not understand that about your own stinking franchise. This has ruined it for me now.

The ending was actually really good but was the wrong person as the Jedi. It could have been Rey sure but she should have been a REAL Skywalker. Essentially the Star Wars saga is actually the story of The House of Sheev with a few overarching cameos from the Skywalkers.

GAH!!!

holdzy89 holdzy89 - save me, you're my only hope...or there is another...or another...or whatever, another. I'm spinning out.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
You've nailed it. There is just no way Palps was ever meant to be the big bad or Rey the you know who she really was. And the fact that she is who she is leads to soooo many more now unanswered questions and...I'm gonna spoiler tag here:

and...it humanises Palps now. That is a huge problem for me. So somewhere out there, Palps had a gal pal and that is a story I am just not interested in. And they channel all the Jedi and all the Sith...like what? That isn't the 'there can only be two' way. And who the heck was those Palps fanboys during that final ridiculous anointing ceremony? And ten blue sky beams instead of the usual Marvel movie one, yay?

And I need to vent, no one I know has seen it. Hux? Seriously? At least that was alluded to but he gets the big reveal and BOOM! He dead.

And yes, it was refreshing to have an old school cold and calculated admiral but who was he and why the hey did he outrank Hux all of a sudden?? And that line of serving just he did in the old empire, mmm...k.

This move was an absolute mess and all this build up to the Knights of Ren and they are just there before going down like punks. And the Chewy death scene fake out? WHAAAAT??

This move makes me so angry. Seriously, there are many other points I couldn't stand in this thing. The trilogy was a mess. Leia WAS a Jedi hey but gave it up for...reasons? I can live with that and thought it was actually a cool choice actually, had it not just been thrown in there.

And wait, Finn is a Jedi? He is force sensitive now because...he believes? Or is that a future story where he also becomes a Jedi? I actually thought this was REALLY cool and does actually link to 7 but...let's just ignore it after revealing it?

So...giving life is an unnatural ability only available through the dark side...so Rey...the Jedi one...who has like almost never been tempted by the dark side...ever...can suddenly do it?

And on that point, I liked her progression in this movie but it just makes 7 and 8 look like wheel spinning and suddenly she can do absolutely everything with a few months training with Leia??

There are so many more things I want to rant on but Kylo Ben Ren Solo...his change back to the light was cool...but absolutely contrary to The Last Jedi. If Snoke was gone, he should have stayed the big bad with Rey eventually being revealed as his sister.

OH one more thing and for me it is the BIGGEST anger point for me now. Anakin's sacrifice was in vain, Palps 'survived somehow' (direct quote from the movie I might add) and Anakin hasn't been seen since. The reason why the story of Luke was so good was because really, he was the conduit to get the chosen one to bring balance to the force. But no, his sacrifice now is absolutely in vain. His redemption didn't spur on Ren, it was the fact he wanted to hook up with Rey.

So a Palpatine who pseudos as a Skywalker now was the real chosen one. How can you not understand that about your own stinking franchise. This has ruined it for me now.

The ending was actually really good but was the wrong person as the Jedi. It could have been Rey sure but she should have been a REAL Skywalker. Essentially the Star Wars saga is actually the story of The House of Sheev with a few overarching cameos from the Skywalkers.

GAH!!!

holdzy89 holdzy89 - save me, you're my only hope...or there is another...or another...or whatever, another. I'm spinning out.
Awesome write up. Love the passion!

Where would you have taken the story?

It's sort of ironic, I think they (JJ, RJ, Disney etc) thought Rey being a Skywalker would be too cliche...and then proceeded to make nothing but cliches, even mirroring the original trilogy almost to the bone, in terms of story structure and character. They should have just copped it and made Rey Luke's daughter.

You could forgive one or two bad moments in an attempt to close out a billion dollar franchise, but SO much of it was just lazy, obviously lazy.

You think Anakin could show up, in some way...at some point, in three movies. If you're going to do force ghosts, do it properly. If you are going to do a trilogy, plan the shit out. The thing that will sting is there is little rewatch value for this trilogy. Repeated viewings won't improve any of the movies. They had a choice I think, JJ makes them all and lives and dies by it. It's his. Or let Rian Johnson finish it off and at least make TLJ a part one/part two type of thing. There is just so little connect between this one and the last one. Ultimately it's just Disney's homogeneous agenda, taking what we love and milking it dry.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
Told the wife she can go see it on her own. Looks worse than the last two.
Yep, JJ must of tripped over, rushing as hard as he did to give the fans ‘what they want’ there is that much fan service in the film...

The backlash against TLJ, clearly scared Disney and now they have gone completely over the top...

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
It wasn't a masterpiece, but I thought it was great. Yes, there's a lot of fan service, and the storyline was very familiar, but who cares. As a vehicle to wrap the whole lot up, it did the job. You're never going to beat the originals in terms of twist value and turning/redemption.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
It wasn't a masterpiece, but I thought it was great. Yes, there's a lot of fan service, and the storyline was very familiar, but who cares. As a vehicle to wrap the whole lot up, it did the job. You're never going to beat the originals in terms of twist value and turning/redemption.
The ending was good but completely unearned. The whole movie seems to be in fast forward. Palps didn’t work, his story should absolutely have finished at the end of 6.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
The ending was good but completely unearned. The whole movie seems to be in fast forward. Palps didn’t work, his story should absolutely have finished at the end of 6.
ROTJ was just as fast. They all were.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ondi

Twitter