SPOILER Star Wars Episode IX

Broncapz

QCup Player
This was a good fun movie with some great moments. It would have worked better if TLJ had did some plot work for it, instead of a meandering space chase.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
I liked it, obviously there was a bunch of shit that hadn't been set up in the previous movies and they just tried to cram it all in anyway. But I still enjoyed it, it's like getting a large star wars meal at your favourite fast food franchise - it's an easy, mildly satisfying experience that is vastly improved by not thinking too much about the details of what's in it or how it was made.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
WARNING - SPOILERS.

Can't be stuffed adding spoiler brackets and the thread already has the tag.

There were a couple of things that I thought were set up well from the first one that I predicted. Namely Hux being treated like shit and ultimately turning because of it, as well as the groundswell of support behind the rebellion that was remaining hidden out of fear.

I don't thing bringing back Palpatine was necessary. Rey could still have been his bloodline without bringing him back, or at the very least he could have just been the Sith equivalent of a force ghost. It may have even driven the Rey/Kylo love/hate relationship further, had Kylo, forever feeling like he can't live up to his grandfather's legacy, been overcome with rage & jealousy at finding out that Rey was born in to such powerful and genuine Sith power. And surpassed him in such a short time. But whatever, it was a way of making the sequels seem more of a continuation of the original story, as opposed to just the same story playing out a generation later.

One thing that bugs me is that Palpatine wanted Rey to kill him so she would obtain years' worth of Sith power. Ultimately, she DOES kill him, but doesn't gain the power nor evil associated with it. It'll probably be explained away that it needed to be done in the ritualistic way that he originally demanded, but still, I expected there to be a way to defeat him while not killing him. Like when she got close she could have used the two lightsabers to chop his hands off, either making him impotent, or at the very least weakening him and ultimately freezing him in Carbonite or something. But again, whatever. It worked as a storyline anyway.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
Warning - spoilers

I thought that him ’offering’ the throne to her was nothing more than a set-up to put her into a position where she and Kylo could meet up and Palps could suck their combined Dyad (what?) life-force and regenerate himself, as he eventually did, with him having no genuine desire to give up the power to anyone, that being the Sith way and all...

Last edited:

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Warning - spoilers

I thought that him ’offering’ the throne to her was nothing more than a set-up to put her into a position where she and Kylo could meet up and Palps could suck their combined Dyad (what?) life-force and regenerate himself, as he eventually did, with him having no genuine desire to give up the power to anyone, that being the Sith way and all...
Ooh, that could make sense. But from my recollection, Rey was offered the throne, and put in to a position to kill him, well before Kylo was close enough to be suckered in.

In fact, now that I think of it, in ROTJ, Luke was given the same "opportunity" to strike Palpatine down, then "his journey to the Dark Side would be complete". Vader blocked him of course, but it does seem as if the Sith power would "possess" whomever strikes down the last. Which would make his offer to Rey more legit, but as I suspected, it only works if done a certain way.

EDIT, which makes me wonder if Palpatine is indeed dead again. He survived what seemed like a fatal end in ROTJ, but came back. Maybe the person holding the Sith power can't be destroyed, only withered, which is why they seek out a force-strong successor?

Last edited:

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Just googled it:

Sith only operate in pairs -- one master and one apprentice. Though it was not always so, under the current doctrine of the Order there can only be two Sith Lords at any given time. This doctrine was put in place by a legendary Sith Lord named Darth Bane. Bane did this to prevent the destructive infighting that plagued the Sith Order for millennia. With this system, Dark Lords pass the Sith legacy through the generations in an unusual and violent way.

After years of working together, an apprentice will kill his master when he senses an opportunity to become the master himself. This new master then takes an apprentice of his own. Of course, should the apprentice fail to kill his master, he will surely be killed in retaliation and the master will find a new apprentice. This method uses the Sith Lords' innate ambition to make sure that only the strongest Sith survive.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Sure the ending was great, just so little of it all made sense. I mean as a stand alone movie, sure it IS fun but it is just so full of gaps it is dumb. There are so many plot holes that the trilogy is an absolute contradictory mess. There is no earning of anything, almost no tension anywhere. The NEW heroes of the trilogy never seem in any danger whatsoever.

It becomes just so convoluted it takes you out of the world of the movie. The pacing is just so bad in this movie. Most cool character developments happen in like 5 minutes despite this effectively being 4-5 hours into a 6 hour story. And then, the REALLY cool development of Finn probably being a Jedi is totally wasted.

And the Chewy fake out, come on! And look, I think no one wants to say it but I will, the Leia photo-shopping can basically been seen at the seams. The be optimistic scene had me unfortunately laughing in stitches.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Just watch this, it is actually GREAT. This is how you build tension while moving the story forward and saying everything without needing a million words either:

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Just watch this, it is actually GREAT. This is how you build tension while moving the story forward and saying everything without needing a million words either:

Except that was 10 times as wordy as the original. Obi Wan didn't need to be able to withstand Vader, he just needed to hold him off long enough to allow the others to escape. This didn't move the story forward in any way, it was just a cooler lightsabre battle.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Except that was 10 times as wordy as the original. Obi Wan didn't need to be able to withstand Vader, he just needed to hold him off long enough to allow the others to escape. This didn't move the story forward in any way, it was just a cooler lightsabre battle.
Exactly it looks cooler and still has a great story. Something the ST really didn’t understand.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
I have to say, I pretty much hated it.

The Palpatine lineage is a bullshit, slapped together plot piece which serves very little purpose other than replacing Snoke as the central antagonist with Palpatine after he was killed off for.....reasons. Rey's parents have never been mentioned before in 8 prior movies, had zero character development and basically served as a deus ex machina for Rey's whole backstory. Her parents are no one.....Except when they are important, they're the heirs to the fucking Empire, they're just treated like nobody by incompetent writers. And I love that their brilliant plan to protect their daughter from harm is to abandon her to fend for herself on some dingy desert backwater planet. 10/10 parenting right there. Fmd.

Speaking of incompetent writers, Colin Trevorrow should never be allowed to touch Star Wars again, in any capacity. The bloke is clueless, and frankly so is Disney. If there ever was a "plan" for this trilogy, it was thrown out the window with Last Jedi and the response to it. They hit the panic button after Solo bombed, threw the baby out with the bathwater and left us with a muddled, nonsensical and pretty predictable ending that does everything it can to play it safe while cleaning up the mess left behind by Last Jedi. When General Hux turning Spy is the biggest surprise moment in your film.....I mean yeesh.

Last edited:

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Saw this again. Stepdad wanted to watch it and my brother was being slack so I went with him.

He didn't like it that much, but for me, the second viewing was great.

The stupidity of some of the story elements, and the whole whitewash of Vader's redemption efforts was not an issue. We now knows this is what happens, it was just a great adventure. Yes, it's pretty much a next-gen ROTJ but wasn't as cringy as The Force Awakens.

Babu Frick was even better second time around.

Broncapz

QCup Player
I'd say overall I was dissapointed with the Sequel Trilogy as a whole.

The Force Awakens was the best one by far, because it ended it a way that made me excited to see the continued adventures of the Skywalkers and the mystery of Snoke.

Episode 8 may be the most wasted potential ever. Silly backstory, Luke's screen time wasted, so much wasted screen time overall.

Episode 9 did it's best to bring it back, but I think the damage Episode 8 did was done.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
So...what were those kids at the end of episode 8? What was all that about? Never seemed to answer it in 9.
I have a feeling the baby thrown out with the bath water was Carrie Fisher dying. In my mind Leia was to have a much bigger part in it all, but then she died and they had to minimise her roll and include her death somehow???

Harry Sack

State of Origin Captain
So...what were those kids at the end of episode 8? What was all that about? Never seemed to answer it in 9.
I have a feeling the baby thrown out with the bath water was Carrie Fisher dying. In my mind Leia was to have a much bigger part in it all, but then she died and they had to minimise her roll and include her death somehow???
I don't know the full details, but I did see a youtube video about what the actual script was supposed to be and you're right. 7 was for Han, 8 for Luke and 9 was supposed to be about wrapping up Leia's story. Apparently the intended story reads considerably better. Whether that's because of the mess that this was, I'm not sure.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
They were slaves on Carto Blight who used the Skywalker legend to help improve their situation. Remember how at the end of the movie there's like 20 Resistance Fighters left and all hope appears lost? It was to show that even if they were to all fall, there's a new generation coming through who grew up with these stories who is going to oppose the negative forces. That the teachings maybe out-dated, but the core principles will ring true.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ondi

Twitter