State of Origin 2023 - Game I Discussion

Bunker also got it wrong then. I agree, knock-on every single time in league. Hate this new millimetre investigation on knock-ons. Eye test it.

I thought the same at the time, but I'm a big stickler for like-for-like adjudication.

Honestly, that was what I thought Origin was. I think most players who play Origin go in knowing that and harden themselves for it. Was it a send off? No way. Gilbert elbowing Young in the face to get him away from DCE was worse. But that was Origin and I would hate for Origin to be decided based on a sin binning like Flegler's.
When Tallis got famously sent off, you could kind of understand that. But the Flegler binning, especially when compared to other incidents in the same game, please give me a break.
Yep agree with this but once a player goes off for HIA from foul play then it's a bin I think. Hence the delay in sending Flegler.
It does leave things open to the trainer being told by the coach to take turbo off because that decision was made after the penalty IIRC.

Yep agree with this but once a player goes off for HIA from foul play then it's a bin I think. Hence the delay in sending Flegler.
It does leave things open to the trainer being told by the coach to take turbo off because that decision was made after the penalty IIRC.
Foul play is debatable though. looked like head clash from the very limited replays shown. But we really didnt get to see much due to the Nicho love fest from 9. So i could be wrong. wouldnt be the first time. I was wearing QLD coloured glasses

Was the reffing back in 1994 as farcical as it was on Wednesday night?

What was your actual take on the Api try?

Any comment on the Fox hit on Walsh?
there was plenty of crook refeering but it went both ways... what ww copped from Muck stone and the like grasshopper balnced. in the 80's anyway. 90's a bit different but Charlie Manson went alright lol

Foul play is debatable though. looked like head clash from the very limited replays shown. But we really didnt get to see much due to the Nicho love fest from 9. So i could be wrong. wouldnt be the first time. I was wearing QLD coloured glasses
Couldn't agree more, the call was rubbish but that's how the bungler saw it.
Flegs will continue to get binned and worse because of his height.
He goes in front on and the shorter attacking player basically runs into him and goes down I'm at a loss what he is supposed to do.

Penalty sufficient on Fox. It's Origin, let's play some footy.

Derserved pay back but ...
Coming in with the fore arm / elbow to the head of a player on the ground is a weak as water .

He goes in front on and the shorter attacking player basically runs into him and goes down I'm at a loss what he is supposed to do.
plus he is tagged as a hitter unfairly. get real if he had the Morley scare factor we would cop it cos it buys scare factor. Flegs is is solid...but he aint morley..or gordo...or carrol..

cant agree more.. .on top of that he is a ref pre game watch

its shite

Then Queensland pulled off arguably their greatest houdini act in Origin history. Not only do they regain possession, but they win early momentum. They shift the ball right, to set up a long shift left and Munster in a moment of brilliance backs himself against the make-shift centre pairing and Hamiso pulled off one of the all-time great finishes to give Queensland this unbelievable lead.

The beauty of that shift from the right sideline to the left was Munster taking advantage of Cleary and Hynes defending together. Walsh tried it earlier and it nearly worked and then they go back again.

Queensland planned for Hynes to be in the middle not in the centres so they've regrouped and figured it out pretty quickly.

When Holmes was against the right touchline two Blues go to the blind for some reason. If they'd gone to the open or even one of them had gone open it could have shut it down, but it was really poor for two defenders to make themselves useless for the big shift to the left.

The beauty of that shift from the right sideline to the left was Munster taking advantage of Cleary and Hynes defending together. Walsh tried it earlier and it nearly worked and then they go back again.

Queensland planned for Hynes to be in the middle not in the centres so they've regrouped and figured it out pretty quickly.

When Holmes was against the right touchline two Blues go to the blind for some reason. If they'd gone to the open or even one of them had gone open it could have shut it down, but it was really poor for two defenders to make themselves useless for the big shift to the left.
I noticed that Walsh nearly broke through from the scrum, so it was pretty good work to identify it and target it from Munster

the munster factor he saw hynes out wasnt by accident. JT played busted but won us a game. cronk taught the rooters some QLD spirut busted win 2 comps. they havent been the same since. slice it dice it that everlasting underdog tag whether origin or club gets teams across the line
penrith the exception lately...but they sort of do siege mentality

I've gotta hand it to Walsh, he played better than I expected. I thought NSW would do a pretty good job in containing him.

As mentioned before in this thread, the balls on Walsh to not only throw this pass given who's on that side of the field for NSW but to pull it off as well, it was unbelievable.

It was a crucial moment in the game. Cotter had just pounced on a bad offload from TPJ and QLD needed to make them pay for it. Walsh fucking nails it.

The guy has no fucking fear. Those are the types of players any side would want as those are the types of players that come up with the big plays when they're needed.

It was a great pass but horrible D from Chriton.
So much for the Penrith combinations, it was all Panthers on that side.

It was a great pass but horrible D from Chriton.
So much for the Penrith combinations, it was all Panthers on that side.
Not really, he got up in his face and basically said you pass a miracle ball that 9/10 doesn't land or get hammered and likely drop the ball. If Walsh ***** that pass it would be amazing D, sometimes you can't do much about brilliant play.

Most Origin points for Queensland- Holmes is getting close to 100.

Thurston-220
Meninga 161
Holmes-92

Johns and Cleary on 94 so he can get them. Won't get O'Connor I wouldn't think 129.

Qld should pick someone expendable, pick them as 18th man. Toward the end of the game, fake three HIAs because that's what you can these days and then send out the 18th man with one purpose. Smack Luai in the face. That is his only KPI and if he manages to get sent off for it, even better. That will sort that grub out. I'd even be happy for it to be a Bronco.

We could go all in on this........I know a guy

Just say the word.

Mr Inbetween GIF by FX Networks

It's the difference of having more players in the team who actually process the situation rather then overly structured players who can't deviate.

I was surprised NSW didn't target the right side more, Val didn't look comfortable at all in defence being on the opposite side he is used to and probably bad form included, as well as Cotter out the edge early.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but when Munster releases the hammer and he pushed off JAC there is a kid running down the sideline in the background. It looks like he's able to keep pace with the Hammer. No small feat even though the Hammer would be a bit gassed. Who was that kid? He had an official pass around his neck.
i love this post

let's find the fast child asap

Active Now

• Dash
  • Gympie devil
  • mitch222
  • Foordy
  • Culhwch
  • sooticus
  • Santa
  • Johnny92
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Fozz
  • Maddy
  • Alec
  • GCBRONCO
  • Spike
  • The True King
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Cavalo
  • broncos4life
  • FACTHUNT
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.