State of Origin 3 - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either Hayne or Stewart should be at fullback IMO. Players who know how to pass and create opportunities for others. Because otherwise you'll likely be relying on flukes once again.

The teams I'd select

NSW

1. Hayne
2. B.Morris
3. Jennings
4. J.Morris
5. Idris
6. Maloney/Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen/Merrin
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Lewis
12. Hoffman
13. Bird

14. Grant
15. Merrin/Snowden
16. Fifita
17. Watmough

QLD

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Myles
11. McQueen
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Hannant
15. Gillett
16. Te'o
17. Papalii

No place for DCE in what will be a massive forward battle in Sydney. Hannant adding to the momentum up the middle will be needed, Myles and Scott won't be enough by themselves this time.

As for the Blues, Hayne was a great attacking threat for them in the first game so I'd slot him straight in at fullback. Dugan was ok, but he's nowhere near as good as Hayne. Merritt obviously has to go. Did he even take the game seriously? His error leading to Boyd's first try was disgraceful, it was as if he was only out to try and hassle Inglis (who gave him a pretty big spray at one point IIRC). Idris has been in fine form for the Titans, having a big man on their right flank may help stop an Inglis break. Carney in for Maloney if he is gone and Merrin to start with Snowden coming onto the bench should Gallen be out. Hoffman needs to be used more effectively. I don't rate him that highly at all, but if the blues are gonna persist with him at least have him running at holes for God's sake. Tamou is a piece of shit, but NSW need some capable big fellas if they are going to win the forward battle, same goes for Tim Grants inclusion and Aaron Woods' dropping. He just wasn't up to scratch.

Should be a good, hard fought game. I think Queensland can win, they just need to keep their heads on and play with the same controlled aggression as in game 2. NSW have a big task ahead of them if they're gonna stop Queensland's momentum heading into this one, even on home turf. They were thoroughly smashed and will likely be missing their captain who is also one of their best forwards. I'm sure the Blues won't go out without a fight, but I don't think they have it in them to overturn the steel resolve of the Queenslanders.

I expect NSW to come out much as we did on Wednesday night (and they did in Game I). We'll need to absorb it without leaking too many points, then counter strongly when we get half a chance. Hayne back for the Blues will be a massive threat - and if they keep Dugan as well, with one on poor Merritt's wing, it will definitely be something we need to watch. Going to be a hell of a game, and I expect it will be very, very tight once again. Bring it on!!

I think they will try to mimic our high tempo start to game 2, but won't have the discipline to maintain it for long. Nor the ability to create decent scoring chances on the end of their attacking sets.

Whoever scores first wins IMO.

Both teams are gonna bring their high intensity starts from games 1 & 2 and getting momentum on top of that will be key.

Last edited:
The teams I'd select

NSW

1. Hayne
2. B.Morris
3. Jennings
4. J.Morris
5. Idris
6. Maloney/Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen/Merrin
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Lewis
12. Hoffman
13. Bird

14. Grant
15. Merrin/Snowden
16. Fifita
17. Watmough

QLD

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Myles
11. McQueen
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Hannant
15. Gillett
16. Te'o
17. Papalii

No place for DCE in what will be a massive forward battle in Sydney. Hannant adding to the momentum up the middle will be needed, Myles and Scott won't be enough by themselves this time.

As for the Blues, Hayne was a great attacking threat for them in the first game so I'd slot him straight in at fullback. Dugan was ok, but he's nowhere near as good as Hayne. Merritt obviously has to go. Did he even take the game seriously? His error leading to Boyd's first try was disgraceful, it was as if he was only out to try and hassle Inglis (who gave him a pretty big spray at one point IIRC). Idris has been in fine form for the Titans, having a big man on their right flank may help stop an Inglis break. Carney in for Maloney if he is gone and Merrin to start with Snowden coming onto the bench should Gallen be out. Hoffman needs to be used more effectively. I don't rate him that highly at all, but if the blues are gonna persist with him at least have him running at holes for God's sake. Tamou is a piece of ****, but NSW need some capable big fellas if they are going to win the forward battle, same goes for Tim Grants inclusion and Aaron Woods' dropping. He just wasn't up to scratch.

Should be a good, hard fought game. I think Queensland can win, they just need to keep their heads on and play with the same controlled aggression as in game 2. NSW have a big task ahead of them if they're gonna stop Queensland's momentum heading into this one, even on home turf. They were thoroughly smashed and will likely be missing their captain who is also one of their best forwards. I'm sure the Blues won't go out without a fight, but I don't think they have it in them to overturn the steel resolve of the Queenslanders.

I forgot to mention, if Klein gets the flick I think it will likely benefit us. He lifted his game up here, but he's still shit.

All things considered, if you look at the forwards or backs, either team can win on their day, but when you add the halves to the equation, the blews are only a chance if Cronk and Thurston have another shocker like game 1.
I'm very confident that as long as we hold our own in the forwards, we'll smash the NSW'kers again!

Reports on fox sports this morning saying the maroons are calling for klein to be dropped. I think that would be a mistake. As shocking as some of the calls were games 1 and 2, at least the two teams will be ready for his style for game 3.

Geez I'm used to the Blues whinging after a loss but this is a whole new level.

Gallen whinging about the 'rub of the green' - the usual.

Daley complaining about NSW's 10m being bigger than ours - WTF? Did he watch Game 1? Idiot. He's whinging about QLD putting pressure on the refs before that game and how it 'may not have influenced the referees on the night' - after saying 'no excuses' - FMD. He's also had a 'chat' with Daniel Anderson, the details of which he is not divulging - sounds ominous.

Why can't they accept they were simply outclassed by a team containing multiple future Immortals on their home turf, after being embarrassed last game, and with one of the most vocal crowds in history? The refs did NOT play a major part in their loss. Yeah, QLD got some calls, but so did NSW and in general I thought the reffing was pretty good (apart from the 'incident).

The length of time NSW were allowed to lie in the ruck was astounding at times, particularly when QLD were threatening their line. There was more than once incident where there was a blatant 'hand on the ball' slowing us down, which went unpunished (felt sorry for poor Thaiday, he gets penalised for that every game!) Gallen deliberately threw his head into a few tackles in an attempt to cause injury. Farah was constantly flopping after tackles had been made, and not standing square at marker.

There were multiple incidents from BOTH teams which could have been penalised but weren't. BOTH teams also got some questionable calls for and against. My feeling is that the refs did not influence the outcome or the flow of the game much at all really, incident aside. I just don't get it - they were dominated. Methinks their self belief has been shaken to the core - whatever they did have after Game I is gone after that pizzling!! Even scarier, QLD had at least 4 or 5 other tries gone begging through failed execution - it could have been a cricket score...

In any case - shut up Daley, stop trying to influence the refs. Mal shouldn't either. I know it's the usual banter and trying to get an advantage but FMD I get sick of it. Just concentrate on getting the players to play their best. If the refs make it a fair game in Game III, we will see which team is best. I'm a touch nervous though - NSW will surely get the 'rub of the green' down there, I'll be LIVID if we're robbed.

I reckon it all depends on the 20 minutes before the break. When our starting props go off and we have a bunch of back rowers filling in all positions (including the tiring Thaiday). If we can hold them there, we'll win. If Gallen doesn't play, I'll be even more confident.

Hope QLD win this one and Hodges can retire from rep footy at the end of the year. I fear his pride will get in the way and he'll play on next year if we lose.

You'd think Gallen would juice up and I think his presence/leadership on the field, even if its in stints of 20 minutes will be beneficial for the blues.

What do you mean .....?

Reports on fox sports this morning saying the maroons are calling for klein to be dropped. I think that would be a mistake. As shocking as some of the calls were games 1 and 2, at least the two teams will be ready for his style for game 3.

Klein and Hayne should have both been dropped after game 1 ........fucken hopeless!!

Between the pair of them during the series, they have managed to turn this great RL spectacle into a farce .......

I'd be so annoyed if I was a Sharks fan, Gallen has/will be non-existent during the entire origin period.

Gallen is a shit club man, glad he isn't a Bronco.

I reckon it all depends on the 20 minutes before the break. When our starting props go off and we have a bunch of back rowers filling in all positions (including the tiring Thaiday). If we can hold them there, we'll win. If Gallen doesn't play, I'll be even more confident.

For me it's how we start the game. With or without the ball if we fire in the first 20 mins ......we'll win. I'm tipping an awesome display reminiscent to 2011 game 3 when we played the perfect first half of football and absolutely smashed them off the park.

NSW don't have the mental ability to come back from being bashed like QLD have.

Basically .....NSW are peahearts. Things start going wrong for them and they fold up like a cheap suit.

8 years in a row ......yeah baby !!!!

Can any nsw fan explain to me why J morris seems to be an automatic pick when Idris is in career best form (moot point now hes injured but seriously cant understand it)

Purely stats based Idris is miles ahead, but anyone that watches footy would know Idris is in the best form of his life, and morris is well below his. I love that NSW keeping picking morris because i never see him threaten our side at all.

A look at those stats to back it up:
Tries: Morris 1 - Idris 4
Line Breaks: Morris 6 - Idris 7
Line break assists: Morris 1 - Idris 11
Offloads: Morris 4 - Idris 34
Tacklebusts: Morris 35 - Idris 55

NSW seem to love morris coz of his "great" defence, but he gets owned by inglis each game and idris has been dominating his oppositions thi syear and have almost 50 more tackles than morris
Tackles: Morris 144 - Idris 190
For the life of me i cant figure out why idris wasnt in game 1, and im very very thankful he wasnt!

Klein and Hayne should have both been dropped after game 1 ........****en hopeless!!

Between the pair of them during the series, they have managed to turn this great RL spectacle into a farce .......

and replace them with who? Which ref is carving up at NRL level and deserves a gig? The refereeing across the board is atrocious. If the NRL caves to Blues whinging and drops those two, the 90/10 calls won't go our way let alone the fifty fifty ones. I say stick with Klein and Hayne. Mainly due to the fact we know how their 10m and markers will be refereed. Would rather that than bring in another set with a different 'interpretation'.

and replace them with who? Which ref is carving up at NRL level and deserves a gig? The refereeing across the board is atrocious. If the NRL caves to Blues whinging and drops those two, the 90/10 calls won't go our way let alone the fifty fifty ones. I say stick with Klein and Hayne. Mainly due to the fact we know how their 10m and markers will be refereed. Would rather that than bring in another set with a different 'interpretation'.

Makes no sense. What interpretation do you think can be relied upon?

The first game rule interpretation where a player can repetitively punch an opposing player in the head and not get 10 mins in the bin and where one team has to stand back deeper in defence than the other?

or the game 2 rule interpretation where two players get sent off for allowing themselves to get punched in the head and where the referees don't enforce the play the ball area?

Game 3 will be just another feather in their cluster **** of a rule book bow....

Klein in particular is a shocker....and has been all year (possibly his whole career). How he got the SOO job in the first place is anybody's guess.

Spin the wheel and see who else's name comes up.

Couldn't possibly be any worse than Ashley Klein.

Fair enough, Mr Fourex. What did you think of Hayne's performance in the first two games? I found it odd that he didn't step up and handle the incidents himself. I thought he had more experience that Klein.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Porthoz
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.