State of Origin Maroon emerging squad

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/61d13e1372437809b23a753550c0ba3b

QUEENSLAND has shown how bright its Origin future is, naming a star studded Emerging Maroons squad.
The Maroon juggernaut is years away from losing momentum considering the quality of the young Queensland Academy of Sport side named by the Queensland Rugby League.
Debutants to the program, a camp in Brisbane aimed at preparing talent for Origin, include Cowboys grand final star Jake Granville, explosive Rabbitohs backrower Chris Grevsmuhl, Canterbury playmaking prodigy Moses Mbye and Melbourne back Cameron Munster.
Broncos halves Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford have also been named.
Maroons new coach Kevin Walters said Granville was a candidate to replace Cameron Smith when the champion hooker hangs his boots up.
“He’s had a couple of good years at the Broncos and was a really dominant player for the Cowboys last year so we thought it was time to introduce him to the squad as well,” Walters said.
“We’re very well positioned there at hooker if Cameron Smith is unavailable for whatever reason.
“We’ve got some good young talent coming through. Jake Friend from the Roosters is another one who has been in the system for two or three years now so it was probably time we introduced more of our Queensland talent to the program.”
The 20-man squad will use the Queensland Sport & Athletics Centre (QSAC) facilities from January 29-31.

QAS Emerging Origin Squad

Jayson Bukuya (Cronulla Sharks)
Dale Copley (Brisbane Broncos)
Tim Glasby (Melbourne Storm)
Jake Granville (North Queensland Cowboys)
Chris Grevsmuhl (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Valentine Holmes (Cronulla Sharks)
Ben Hunt (Brisbane Broncos)
Edrick Lee (Canberra Raiders)
Ethan Lowe (North Queensland Cowboys)
Nene Macdonald (Gold Coast Titans)
Moses Mbye (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Anthony Milford (Brisbane Broncos)
Cameron Munster (Melbourne Storm)
Dylan Napa (Sydney Roosters)
Joe Ofahengaue (Brisbane Broncos)
Justin O’Neill (North Queensland Cowboys)
Corey Oates (Brisbane Broncos)
Lloyd Perrett (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Korbin Sims (Newcastle Knights)
Jarrod Wallace (Brisbane Broncos)

Last edited:
There seriously is some talent in there!!

01 Valentine Holmes
02 Corey Oates
03 Dale Copley
04 Justin O'Neill
05 Edrick Lee
06 Anthony Milford
07 Ben Hunt
08 Dylan Napa
09 Jake Granville
10 Korbin Sims
11 Ethan Lowe
12 Jayson Bukuya
13 Chris Grevsmuhl

14 Cameron Munster
15 Lloyd Perrett
16 Jarrod Wallace
17 Joe Ofahengaue

Because I can.

Perfect example though of why the Titan's are where they are, one player in that emerging squad and only because he returned to the club after a stint at the Roosters.

Last edited:
**** it must suck being a NSW fan, knowing that our emerging squad could probably beat your main squad.

We're only light in the back row I'd say, but there are a few youngsters coming through which will close the gap.

michael morgan or anthony milford for future maroons 5/8

I'm glad they scheduled training after the members day. It's frustrating making the trip out there and the great players aren't there.

We're only light in the back row I'd say, but there are a few youngsters coming through which will close the gap.

We've still got 5-6 years more of Gillett, more again of Guerra, in fact the next wave should be prepped in time for Thaiday to retire.

Hopefully, Te'o comes back to the NRL soon and we can bring him back into the side.

I'd say we're looking pretty good in the back row and halves. I'm more worried about the back 5 and front row.

Last edited:
Copley, Hunt, Milf, Joe O, Oats.... no surprises there.
Wallace though, didn't see that one coming! He was good for us last year, not a stand out though. Hopefully his selection is a sign of great things to come. Such an awesome time to be a Broncos supporter :-D

**** it must suck being a NSW fan, knowing that our emerging squad could probably beat your main squad.

1: Munster V Dugan (Dugan)
2: Oates V Hopoate (Oates)
3: Jennings V Copley (Jennings)
4: O'Neil V J.Morris (Morris)
5: Lee V B.Morris (Morris)
6: Milford V Pearce (Milford)
7: Hunt V Hodkinson (Hunt, not by much though)
8: Napa V Woods (Woods)
9: Friend V Farah (Farah)
10: Sims V Tamou (Tamou)
11: Lowe V Scott (Scott)
12: Bukuya V Hoffman (Hoffman)
13: Grevshmul V Gallen (Gallen)

14: Munster V Merrin (Merrin)
15: Cordner V Perrett (Cordner)
16: Wallace V Klemmer (Klemmer)
17: Ofa V Jacksom (Jackson)

They would have an absolute hell of a time doing it though and Milf and Hunt would struggle a bit of the pack didn't turn up.

Some good players there but they don't really frighten me apart from Milford. I think Hunt will struggle to crack the Maroons team as I've heard Smith talk up DCE as a future captain which could prove a barrier for Hunt.

Walters is the coach now and probably prefers Hunt . I'm not sure DCE will ever wear the jersey again let alone captain the team . Smith said that a day or 2 after he had been dropped and was probably trying to make him feel better.

The NSW Emerging Squad would have a better chance against the current Blues...

2016 Emerging Blues squad:
James Roberts (Brisbane Broncos)
Blake Austin (Canberra Raiders)
Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders)
Aiden Tolman (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Wade Graham (Cronulla Sharks)
Ryan James (Gold Coast Titans)
Dylan Walker (Manly Sea Eagles)
Tariq Sims (Newcastle Knights)
Nathan Peats (Parramatta Eels)
Matt Moylan (Penrith Panthers)
Alex Johnston (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Adam Reynolds (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Jack De Belin (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Blake Ferguson (Sydney Roosters)
Kane Evans (Sydney Roosters)
James Tedesco (Wests Tigers)

If the selectors are smart, a few of those names will be in the final seventeen by May.

I'm not even joking when I say I'd be more worried coming up against that squad than the current NSW squad.

1. Tedesco
2. Johnston
3. Walker
4. Roberts
5. Ferguson
6. Austin
7. Reynolds
8. Tolman
9. Peats
10. James
11. Frizell
12. Sims
13. Graham

14. Moylan
15. Wighton
16. De Belin
17. Evans

A little light on props, but apart from that..

[MENTION=7803]Broncoman[/MENTION], Hunt is JUST better than Hodgkinson? Seriously? Most of your others are fairly spot on but come on, are you really a Broncos fan?

[MENTION=7803]Broncoman[/MENTION], Hunt is JUST better than Hodgkinson? Seriously? Most of your others are fairly spot on but come on, are you really a Broncos fan?

Bias as ****! But what did you expect?

Active Now

• Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brotherdu
  • GCBRONCO
  • Maroon4life
  • BroncosMan
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Justwin
  • Midean
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncorob
  • Bronx48
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  • Volvo Driver
  • RolledOates
  • FACTHUNT
  • Redux
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.