Storm for Wooden Spoon - Betting Suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.
This happens at some point every year..

The Rock said:
Bannermania said:
This happens at some point every year..

Very true.

They did it with the Bulldogs last year didn't they?

Yeah I'm fairly sure it happened with them as well.

So worst case points scenario, Storm will only loss 8 points - whereas Dogs lost all points they won in the season. I guess the lesson is if you're going to cheat the cap and get caught, make sure you get caught early in the season, not at the end. Seriously IMO, any club found to be cheating the cap should be ineligble for finals football that season.

Even if they lose all their current points, the AWESOMNESS of the Storm will ensure they don't win the wooden spoon. They will still only be 4 points off the the last place team.

Yep that's my point (well not the awesomeness bit icon_smile ). Stripped of all current points, Storm are still genuinely in the running to win the premiership, whereas the Dogs were given absolutely no chance of being able to make the finals let alone win the premiership - and that is only because they were found guilty of their breaches towards the end of the season when the premiership points still on offer to them were far far less than the points they were stripped of.

Just another ridiculous inconsistency in the way the NRL operates.

Where does it say they wont lose more than 8 points? They could take 20 off them if they deemed fit. They can take off more than they currently have, no worries

QUEENSLANDER said:
Where does it say they wont lose more than 8 points? They could take 20 off them if they deemed fit. They can take off more than they currently have, no worries

Exactly - they could put them on minus 100 if they wanted

Yeah didn't the Warriors start on -4 last year or the year before? Obviously the NRL are happy to go into negative points.

I'm all for super harsh punishments if clubs are found to knowingly cheat the cap, eg ineligibility for the finals (like Flutterby suggested), but they have to be a bit more lenient for teams who were forced to go over due to unforeseen circumstances like injury or rep honours. It will be interesting to see which side the Storm fall on - could easily be either.

QUEENSLANDER said:

Sounds like the NRL are just making up more rules to try and disadvantage the Storm

OK, so it doesn't say specifically that 8 will be the only points they lose, but there is certainly an implication in the article that 8 is the only points they will lose with statements such as:

Rumours swept league circles today that the Storm would lose their premiership points and face a hefty fine.
. 8 are the only premiership points that are currently THEIRs

A loss of eight premiership points would not end Melbourne's chances of making the final eight, but even the mental strength of a team which has made the past four grand finals, winning two, would be tested.
Again an indication they would only lose points they have already won.

I certainly hope that if they are guilty of salary cap breaches that the points penalty is a whole lot more than 8, but discussions from this and other articles as well as other information I have heard indicates that they won't strip them of more than they have already won.

I'd say it's about the Cam Smith Fox Sports TV deal.

Yeah, probably is. Doubt the Storm will have engaged in full scale rorting like the Dogs. Maybe some light rorting like the Warriors.

So we've got a 50% News Limited owned competition punishing a News Limited owned club for making a deal with News Limited.

ethos said:
So we've got a 50% News Limited owned competition punishing a News Limited owned club for making a deal with News Limited.

LOL, yes, is very odd.

Coxy said:
ethos said:

LOL, yes, is very odd.

haha I know. And this is a transparent process how..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Midean
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • ezpz
  • Xzei
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
  • Battler
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Allo
  • Galah
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.