Storm practised grapple hold: ex-player

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Former Melbourne forward Brett O'Farrell has claimed Storm players were trained how to use the now outlawed grapple tackle in his time at the NRL club.

O'Farrell told News Ltd papers the Storm were drilled "over and over" on the controversial wrestling technique during the 2004 pre-season.

The reigning premiers have been accused of practising the grapple tackle but coach Craig Bellamy has repeatedly denied deliberately employing the dangerous technique.

http://news.smh.com.au/storm-practised- ... -23yz.html

In the article is said during 2004 pre-season.

Yet he finished as a player in 2001. Did he work for them after his career ended.

O'Farrell also claimed he was the victim of a sleeper hold from Donohue, who made him unconscious in front of the Storm squad as punishment for skylarking at training.

Interesting...

I thought I read somewhere ages ago, that the Broncos wrestling coach was showing the dangers of the grapple tackle & Ben Hannant was the victim.

And he was unconscious within seconds.

I think 95% of this is beat up. However it isn't good to see a guys head or arm attacked intentionally, just hope commonsense prevails and the Storm and everyone else (they are not the only guilty party) start using more reasonable ways to slow down the play the ball. For instance making more dominant tackles therefore being able to just hold them down for longer.

Kaz said:
I thought I read somewhere ages ago, that the Broncos wrestling coach was showing the dangers of the grapple tackle & Ben Hannant was the victim.

And he was unconscious within seconds.

Cutoff the windpipe and and they can't breathe (front). But put pressure on the carotid veins (side) will stop blood flow to the brain causing a blackout.

Major JW Hochstetter said:
O'Farrell also claimed he was the victim of a sleeper hold from Donohue, who made him unconscious in front of the Storm squad as punishment for skylarking at training.

Interesting...

He went back for a three month trial in 2004.Sour grapes or the truth from O'Farrell.I tend to believe the latter.

think he's telling us something that we basically already knew.

Of course the practised it - my bro was with them in Colts at Brisbane Norths and even THEY had full training sessions just on the grapple tackle - it was systemic within the club.

The Storm can deny it all they want, they are still giving the game bad publicity where it could easily be avoided. I know some parents who won't let their kids play footy because of this sort of stuff. Soft I know, but it's still bad for the game.

Frank the Tank said:
Frank is so glad that the Broncos don't have a Wrestling Coach.

oh right....

[icon_lol1.

Get your head out of the sand.

There is one team in the comp without a wrestling coach.
We may have one but our coach is a good man and he doesn't allow the wrestling coach to teach our kiddies bad things icon_smile

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Dazza 92
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Dash
  • jarro65
  • Gaz
  • HarryAllan7
  • marw
  • Broncorob
  • Maroon4life
  • Harry Sack
  • jd87
  • TimWhatley
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • Redux
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.