Storm salary cap dramas

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...s/news-story/0f32d221d6455f24216774f0355d2fc3

A report claims Melbourne has a lot more on the line than the future of big-bopper Sam Kasiano on the line in its salary cap crunch for round one.
The Daily Telegraph revealed recently the Storm have been shopping the prop around to rival clubs in a bid to squeeze under the 2019 salary cap.
The Storm’s full cap crisis was laid bare on Tuesday morning by Triple M NRL commentator Ben Dobbin, who told Triple M’s Big Breakfast that the club is $600,000 over the 2019 cap.
He reported the club is desperate to find a new home for Kasiano because the NRL recently threatened the club with being excluded from the opening round of the season on March 14 if they are still not salary cap compliant.
The NRL’s other tool for dealing with clubs who are over the cap heading into the start of a season would see the Storm lose captain Cameron Smith, who was the last player to sign on with the Storm for the 2019 season.
Melbourne’s salary cap crunch comes with the Sharks reportedly set to face a salary cap reduction of up to $500,000 for their salary cap scandal which reportedly dates back to cap breaches in 2015.
The Wests Tigers are also reportedly set to learn their fate surrounding a preliminary salary cap reduction of $640,000 surrounding an ambassadorial deal with club great Robbie Farah.
3219868e7079da689d20405877c4a738

NRL cap auditors be coming at Cameron Smith like...Source:AAP
The clubs will learn their fate following Thursday’s Australian Rugby League commission meeting.
The news is concerning for the Storm, according to Dobbin.
“My mail is the Melbourne Storm are at least $600,000 over the salary cap right now,’ he said.
“He (Kasiano) has been shopped around to other clubs for some time. The NRL have said to the Melbourne Storm, ‘It’s like this. You can get under the salary cap within 16 days or you won’t be taking the field in round one’.
“Somebody has to go for the Melbourne Storm. If they can’t get rid of Sam Kasiano, there was a bit of talk if the findings come down with the NRL and St George put Jack de Belin to the sideline, St George would be able to pick up Kasiano. Kasiano is no Jack de Belin, nowhere near it.
He said the NRL’s “last man” in policy would cost the Storm Smith if the NRL is forced to take action to get the Storm compliant for 2019.

Appropriately big fat Dobbo warning on this one, and I highly doubt Melbourne will be forced to sit out Round 1 (especially in light of the fact that means an automatic 2 points for us lol yeah right that'll happen) but 600k over the cap weeks out from a season is pretty much unforgivable coming from the likes of the purple scum. I mean fair dinkem talk about recidivists.

Every time I see shit like this I get more mad because it's not the fucking Roosters. How are they still not caught?

I don't feel sorry for the Storm one bit, but it sounds like Smith may have put them in the same position as they were in the late '00s. I recall an article (using info from Waldron?) where they wrote about what went on during the Inglis negotiations. Where they'd basically done the deal, and then Inglis just kind of went "um, can I get a boat for my Uncle" or something like that, and the Storm were so desperate to keep him happy that they just went "yep" and gave him / his manager the details of someone who could sort it out.

You get the impression that not only do the Storm need Cam Smith, but Smith knows it. At a time where the next generation need to be retained, a genuine clubman would stay for less, especially after a Testimonial Game, Testimonial Dinners, and, y'know, the million+ a year he's been able to get for so long. But I guess you don't get to be the best by doing anything less than 100%, so it would appear that he's received his two-year, big dollar contract, and does not care if he cripples the club now, or in the future.

A couple of years ago I don't think he would have done it. But now that he's had to make a deal with the Devil (the media) to keep his private life just that, and watched as his close friendships with Slater and Cronk completely disintegrate, it seems Rugby League is just a job to him that he needs to squeeze what he can out of.

The Melbourne Storm deserve salary cap exemptions.

Let's stop pretending it's a level playing field.

Wasn’t there that rumor that four sides were in salary cap trouble?

So: Sharks, Storm, Tigers and who?

25% of the comp over salary cap. at what point do they just go **** it, it's a free for all. i wonder what would happen if clubs united and said yeah we're just gonna do what we want as far as salaries are concerned. would the comp be suspended?

25% of the comp over salary cap. at what point do they just go **** it, it's a free for all. i wonder what would happen if clubs united and said yeah we're just gonna do what we want as far as salaries are concerned. would the comp be suspended?
Which club is going to agree to that? No one can compete with Brisbane in that regard. The salary cap is a good thing but the game is polluted by deception and incompetence.

Which club is going to agree to that? No one can compete with Brisbane in that regard. The salary cap is a good thing but the game is polluted by deception and incompetence.
Whether or not the salary cap is a good thing I don't think is relevant, it's clear that a good portion of clubs are not following it anyway so it does raise the question of whether it's achieving its goal? Clubs aren't operating on a level playing field.

I think the NRL should hire the Roosters accounting team, they would know every which way to get in and around the cap. And then hire the Storm's accounting team so they can compare how not to do it and keep getting caught.

The scumbags at it again. Penalties should be harsher on these ***** because they've done it before. Hopefully NRL has the balls to make them sit out until they are compliant.

Sort of related-

Handshake deal leaves door open for Smith to retire in 2019
Wed 27 Feb 2019, 12:00 PM
A handshake agreement between Cameron Smith and Melbourne could mean the champion hooker hangs up the boots at the end of 2019.
Smith, who is expected to this year become the first player to notch 400 NRL games, doesn’t have a clause in his new two-year deal with Melbourne.
However, NRL.com has been told there is a mutual understanding between the skipper and the club that he could pull the pin after this season.
There was some hesitation from the Storm over whether to commit to Smith for another two years, but the game’s longest-serving player has assured the club he would be in close dialogue with coach Craig Bellamy throughout this season and will decide together if this should be his last.
Smith, who will be 36 by the end of this year, has arguably been in career-best form in recent seasons and has shown no signs of slowing down.
However, he is not naive to the fact his form, and mental capacity to keep playing, could change very quickly.
"Just to clarify it, I’m happy to be up front – there’s no option in the contract. It’s a two-year contract," Smith told NRL.com when asked about the potential of finishing up this year.
Smith no certainty to play in 2020
"But when we were having discussions about me re-signing for two years I made it quite clear to everyone involved that I’d be discussing where I was at through the 2019 season with Craig and how he felt I was travelling.
"If he felt that it was better to finish off this year then I would take that on board. But before it even got to Craig I would know myself. I would know whether I was happy with my form or whether my involvement or contribution to the team was deteriorating.”
Part of Smith’s desire to sign a two-year deal was to avoid an undoubted media frenzy over whether he would be extending his career into 2020.
But a potential retirement at the end of the year is unlikely to be disruptive on the Storm given they have a ready-made replacement in Brandon Smith.
The Storm are conscious that if Smith were to retire, it would be easier to plan their salary cap structure for the future if he didn’t wait until after this season to decide.
As it stands Smith is confident he will be able to play on for another two years and notch up a remarkable 19 seasons as an NRL player.
"I was feeling that good that instead of locking away 12 months, why not two years," he said.
"Because in my mind if I locked in 12 months and then it got to May or June this year, then I’d have to start that whole process again.
smithc-bellamyc-2gp_9887.jpg

Craig Bellamy and Cameron Smith after the 2018 grand final. ©Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"So I asked the question of the club, would two years suit the club.
"It took some time for them to discuss that and position themselves around the two years. They came back saying they were on board and that they were happy with it.
"I signed a two-year deal because at this stage I feel confident of getting those two years out. But if at any time throughout 2019 I feel like the game has got away from me a little bit or I just can’t handle the week to week grind, I’ll be more than happy to have a conversation with Craig about my position at the club."
The Storm have plans to use Smith differently in 2019. Brandon Smith is expected to spend some time at hooker, meaning Smith will be used as an extra half/ball-playing lock to help direct his team around the paddock.
The Storm hope having Cameron Smith sit behind the ruck will help minimise the impact of having no Billy Slater, whose guidance and direction was pivotal to Melbourne for many years.
So, if there's no clause and he decides to hang up the boots after 2019, the Storm must carry his 2020 half of the contract in their cap for that year, right? There will be no career ending injury so the precedent is there with Watmough.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/27...oor-open-for-cameron-smith-to-retire-in-2019/

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Fozz
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.