Tanah Boyd signs with Titans effective immediately

Do you think Paix will end up being a halfback or hooker?

I have only seen him play the one game at hooker for Queensland last year, Richards has been the only one bold enough to move him. I think he has utility value at this stage.

Once Dearden hit the scene, losing either Paix or T. Boyd was an inevitability. What concerns me is that he asked for an immediate release which suggests to me that all is not right at the club.

The Broncos have a checkered record in the Queensland Cup. Wynnum and Norths are travelling nicely, but Redcliffe and Souths Logan are struggling. Before Boyd's departure, Souths Logan had six Broncos representatives in their squad. Despite the high representation are 2-11 with no signs of improvement. That's an awful indication of the club's depth, especially at a time where the NRL side needs a makeover.

The other concern is that Sam Walker and Jake Simpkin, two of the most highly rated juniors, have taken deals at other clubs. In the case of Walker, he had Tom Dearden infront of him and the opportunity at the Roosters was simply too good to ignore. However there is a clear vacancy in the #9 jersey at the Broncos, so for Simpkin to take up an option elsewhere is a troubling sign.

The test for Seibold will be his capacity to re-sign Matt Lodge, Tevita Pangai Jr and Corey Oates. Both Lodge and Oates are expected to re-sign and Pangai Jr is more than likely to stay, but if that doesn't eventuate it will send alarm bells ringing.

Seibold also has to acquire new talent to help balance the roster better. So far his signings have left a lot to be desired with Richard Kennar, Shaun Fensom failing to impress and James Segeyaro finding himself in the doghouse for his DUI indiscretion.

It's far from the end of the world, but when the future stars of the game are taking up deals elsewhere, it's not a good look. Especially for a club that's on track to have it's worst season to date.

Is a Broncos reserve grade side feasible in any future timeline? We would have to have players that aren’t part of the rest of our 30 + development list or however many it is by then.

Would it rob other teams of too much talent? I think it would be beneficial for players who currently train half and half to actually play together and it would make movements between NRL and Qcup squads much more streamlined and may take some sting out of being ‘dropped’ as they’re still playing for the club

Paix is playing at halfback and is only training at hooker on occasions to add a bit more to his game.

If we sign another half, they will only be depth as Dearden is regarded as the future so what exactly is the point of bringing in someone else when they aren't going to be overtaking Dearden and are only going to depth?

Im a fan of Dearden but plenty of young halves who are seen as the future fizzle out and get dropped. Look what’s happened with Lachlan Lewis. The Warriors have gone through 2 “the futures” and landed on Nikorima. TMM was the answer to the panthers halves and then the answer for the Cowboys and he is in and out of teams. Ponga only lasted at 5/8 for a couple weeks.

It appears to me that careers in the halves are particularly volatile.

I wonder what Paix and the Broncs would be thinking now that Turpin has shown he was made to wear the Broncos 9 jersey. Would love to keep him as depth, but is he going to want to stay as a backup to Turpin and behind Dearden and O'Sullivan in the halves? I reckon he should back himself to make the team and it could be good for his development to stay at the Broncos.

I'm still very excited about where the Broncos are headed and I hope Seibold continues to make good decisions while learning from the bad ones as well.

Im a fan of Dearden but plenty of young halves who are seen as the future fizzle out and get dropped. Look what’s happened with Lachlan Lewis. The Warriors have gone through 2 “the futures” and landed on Nikorima. TMM was the answer to the panthers halves and then the answer for the Cowboys and he is in and out of teams. Ponga only lasted at 5/8 for a couple weeks.

It appears to me that careers in the halves are particularly volatile.

It seems that Dearden has all the fundamentals down and has very solid base as a half, that puts him in a better place than all those other halves you mentioned.

Paix is playing at halfback and is only training at hooker on occasions to add a bit more to his game.

If we sign another half, they will only be depth as Dearden is regarded as the future so what exactly is the point of bringing in someone else when they aren't going to be overtaking Dearden and are only going to depth?
I wasn't saying we sign another half , just seems we are making room for someone.

....However there is a clear vacancy in the #9 jersey at the Broncos, so for Simpkin to take up an option elsewhere is a troubling sign.
…….
It's far from the end of the world, but when the future stars of the game are taking up deals elsewhere, it's not a good look. Especially for a club that's on track to have it's worst season to date.

Really??

Is a Broncos reserve grade side feasible in any future timeline? We would have to have players that aren’t part of the rest of our 30 + development list or however many it is by then.

Would it rob other teams of too much talent? I think it would be beneficial for players who currently train half and half to actually play together and it would make movements between NRL and Qcup squads much more streamlined and may take some sting out of being ‘dropped’ as they’re still playing for the club

I don't think so.

The Broncos haven't been keen on the idea ever since the Clydesdales went bust. Even before that happened, Brisbane had been picking players from Easts and Redcliffe for years, so the idea of spreading the talent around seemed like a foregone conclusion.

With the current salary cap model, I can't see that changing. The salary cap used to be flexible enough that clubs could entice fringe players to their feeder club with the opportunity to crack it in the NRL. Now the process is more complicated and arrangements have to be made for those players to get an opportunity.

It makes it difficult to entice quality Queensland Cup players to the club. Ideally a Queensland Cup side should have core players like Cameron Cullen or Jack Ahearn who are the key players for their side without the pressure of being plucked by an NRL side. With a dedicated feeder, you run into the problem where all the stars get plucked by the NRL team and what you're left with is a bunch of BRL players and 18 year-olds. As Aspley discovered in 2007, it can get ugly.

The current Queensland Cup arrangement isn't to blame. The Broncos issue is the make-up of their squad and changes have to be made. If Seibold isn't active in the market, then the Broncos aren't getting out of this hole.

Would I lie to you?

McCullough is on the outer and the club isn't willing to go all in on Turpin or Segeyaro.

With the right form just about anyone could step into the 9 at this point. Including the best #9 coming through the grades.

And yes, to date this has been one of the Broncos worst seasons.

Would I lie to you?

McCullough is on the outer and the club isn't willing to go all in on Turpin or Segeyaro.

With the right form just about anyone could step into the 9 at this point. Including the best #9 coming through the grades.

And yes, to date this has been one of the Broncos worst seasons.

What makes you say they aren’t really to go all in on Turpin?

Paix hasn't had a good year but is solid and learning and has better utility value of the three. I like that Paix is in a horrible team too but is solid.

Oi! Thats enough of that! 😁

What makes you say they aren’t really to go all in on Turpin?

Couldn't crack the NRL squad to start the year, news that he's only being offered a one year deal, bad history with injuries etc.

I suspect they'll end up signing him to a two year deal, but the Broncos aren't convinced they've got the second coming of Cameron Smith nor should they. It's his jersey as long as he keep the energy up.

I mean, isn't this one of those situations where a "Well, we can't keep them all" sort of mentality comes into play, right? Boyd is a tad extra to our needs right now with the blooming of Dearden, Milf's good form and the likes of Turpin and McC being capable of playing that position in a pinch. What we really need right now, is backline players.

Across the board, but most importantly at fullback. We might need to consider that for the time being at least, Isaako is cooked. I've seen nothing from him right now that he is pulling out of this run of bad form, and it might be time to consider that there might be more to that than just a mythical 2nd year curse. I also can't see Bird sticking around after this 2nd run of injury trouble that has ruined his short time here. He will be like Roberts and will want for home. Between taking them out of the frame and Shibasaki being not long for this world and Captain Courageous not far away from a desperate as **** retirement, suddenly our backline stocks look real ordinary.

When you take a step back and look at the makeup of our side, the front row and bench rotation are looking REAL solid, while the backline looks like it's just about at alert status, because Oates is the only one that looks safe.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Tim K
  • Broncorob
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Santa
  • Pablo
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bish
  • Allo
  • Tmac
  • Waynesaurus
  • mieko
  • lynx000
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.