OFFICIAL TEAM UPDATE. MAD MONDAY FOREVER

A SATISFYING END

SEPTEMBER 4
Latest updates on fresh injuries and charges in post below.

INJURED

LATEST JUDICIARY

Paul Crawley asks in the CM if Patty's tackle was so bad why wasn't he binned. Probably a fair question, except the tackle was only one part of larger clusterfuck.

With the tightness of jerseys these days the players must have enormous grip strength .
Old school , the jersey not tucked in was asking to get put on a merry go round .

Also the big **** off collars were basically a handle for flinging or dragging your opponent into touch.

ooh the good old jersey sling on the cricket pitch was definitely one to avoid .
Mid winter in Nambour after the Show weekend and the horses and cows running up and down the square . It was brutal .

Paul Crawley asks in the CM if Patty's tackle was so bad why wasn't he binned. Probably a fair question, except the tackle was only one part of larger clusterfuck.

Started out a penalty to the Broncs for Tamou abusing the Ref .
Then the bunker saw the replay and excused James`s potty mouth , then gave a penalty to the Tigers .

Cluster fck ...

5 weeks is still a pretty severe ban, and it was also an early plea. No one at the Panthers objected, including his old man.
Very similar tackle in the BRL comp got 6 weeks down to 5 weeks from memory because of the early plea. I think the Cleary decision is about right.

Swings off the hips and lands on the legs .
Accidental but fulfils the criteria for hip drop .

I keep coming back to the Mums and Dads watching .
Do they want their kids to be playing a game where the potential to be paralysed or crippled is present .

Take into account kids and the thousands of amateurs who play don`t have the worlds best doctors treating them like NRL players . A knee injury may mean waiting for elective surgery . A back injury may mean NDIS ...

Every week we see hands between the legs and lifts . Just that they don`t go wrong . Lifting is not allowed in junior footy . So when you turn 18 get ready for some lift and drive action .
I was initially in the other camp that it wasn't a hip drop, but I have had a look at it a few times now and I agree with you, I think it technically fulfils the criteria for a hip drop. The landing on the leg was accidental whereas it is more clearly forseeable in the case of a classic hip drop.

It will be interesting to see whether they plead guilty to the dangerous contact (which is what I would do) and argue that it is only a Grade 2.

I had my leg broken as a teenager in a similar type of incident playing for my high school .
Snapped my shin from knee to ankle . The sound was like a branch breaking off a tree .

8 weeks in a cast . Patty fan here . But that shit needs stamping out .

I keep coming back to the Mums and Dads watching .
Do they want their kids to be playing a game where the potential to be paralysed or crippled is present .

I assist at junior level, what happens at NRL level is of little concern - most parents understand there's a VERY big difference.

Saying that, some off field antics some of the older junior meat heads get up to is of far greater concern.

most parents understand

Leaves a percentage who don`t and who might send their kids to different sports .

Something I don`t like seeing is lifting the tackled players leg so they do the splits . Again not allowed in juniors .
Luke O `Donnel and the wish bone tackle ?

And then you have this, why wasn't this charged as a hip drop, I think it is worse than Carrigan's tackle:

The line about "it starts to look unnatural on the football field " is BS .
That vid is classic grab the hips swing off hit with the hips on the lower legs . The tackler did let go once he fell on the legs is the only concession .

And then you have this, why wasn't this charged as a hip drop, I think it is worse than Carrigan's tackle:

This should be Exhibit A in Patty's case. Although I'm pretty sure the NRL exclude all non-charges from being presented as evidence purely so their inconsistency can't be used against them.

This should be Exhibit A in Patty's case. Although I'm pretty sure the NRL exclude all non-charges from being presented as evidence purely so their inconsistency can't be used against them.
It's one of those ones that you get a journo to leak out though.

Why is Patty getting charged but old mate isnt... you can start to build a narrative heading into the hearing

I reckon you'd be able to find 100's of hip drops in a given weekend... but they only penalise when a player lies down... and wouldnt you know Kyle Feldt laid down against us in the trial this year in order to get a penalty... first time I can recall a player taking a dive for it

The second you feel your ankle under the tackler just lie down and hold your ankle... no risk of a HIA and you cant play the ball until they've had a look.

Kennedy is out for the year, so they don't even have the injury excuse.

Bottom line is, if Fuimaono gets 5 weeks for a 9 month injury with a poor record, Patty HAS to get less than that for a 6 week max injury and a clean record.

The NRL are going to scapegoat us to stamp out the hip drop tackle (regardless of whether what Carrigan did is actually a hip drop. IMO It's not) but that isn't going to stop them. Smacking the Broncos with a crazy suspension isn't going to stir up much noise in NSW and lets face it, that's all that matters to them.

Active Now

• Wild Horse
  • Maddy
  • Sproj
  • Cavalo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • winslow_wong
  • kman
  • Allo
  • achievedrap
  • Rookie Alan
  • Bish
  • Dash
  • broncs30
  • Morkel
  • bb_gun
  • Spoon
  • sooticus
  • ell.d33
  • Manofoneway
  • Rah88
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.