OFFICIAL TEAM UPDATE. MAD MONDAY FOREVER

A SATISFYING END

SEPTEMBER 4
Latest updates on fresh injuries and charges in post below.

INJURED

LATEST JUDICIARY

Interesting end to the season for the top 8.

Patty out 4-8 weeks
Cleary out 5 weeks
Moses out 4-5 weeks

That's just from one page.
My estimate was purely based on it being classed on report as "dangerous contact," the maximum penalty for the top grade, and his clean record. I don't think that now. I don't have a clue what he'll get but 3 weeks would probably be getting off lightly.

The fact that this got cited is good because we have a precedent. You can't argue incidents that didn't get cited, but if it's been charged it's a precedent and the MRC have to consider it.
I don't think we can get too fixated on precedents, especially one in which we all agree was too lean. The judiciary will be directed to adapt towards what the NRL wants to achieve. They've been making noise all season about wanting to stamp out this kind of tackle, and here we are with a really bad one, albeit arguably "unintentional," from one of the competitions' smartest and fairest players.

Before the season, I'd never even heard of a "hip drop" and now it's the biggest crime in rugby league. We went through the same process with high contact.

If you are to strictly adhere to earlier precedents, the game would still be in the 70's with swinging arms, face massages, spear tackles and king hits getting swept under the carpet. If the NRL is trying to "crack down" the penalties are invariably going to get larger over time. And then maybe settle down or ease off.

I would question the NRL breaking precedent when you see a player get off lighter than you would expect given what someone got earlier, and you agreed with the outcome. That last bit is important. It shouldn't be about getting revenge on another club for a punishment one of your own players got that seemed a bit too harsh. The entire process should course correct over time.

Well that's the ideal world, anyway. I prefer not to be a cynic.

he'll be very lucky to get 4, suggest you make your hot cocoa with an extra marshmallow tonight friends, it's gonna be a rough one

in the meantime the nrl have adjusted the rules and upon his return cleary is now allowed to bring a small powder actuated nailgun onto the field if his team is behind by 1 or more points

My estimate was purely based on it being classed on report as "dangerous contact," the maximum penalty for the top grade, and his clean record. I don't think that now. I don't have a clue what he'll get but 3 weeks would probably be getting off lightly.
So the brand new judicial system and grading that they setup what 4 months ago is already not good enough??

The revision that was needed because too many players were spending time on the sideline.

The new system that has allowed Lolo to be charged with shoulder charges in two consecutive weeks and receive a fine for both.

JWH get charged every second match, but still hasn't served a suspension.

Seems like it's a system setup purely for NSWRL to control who gets suspended and who doesnt based on "reasons".

Even Carrigan being sent straight to the judiciary means what he's being charged with is beyond the grading system and can never be used as precedent... they can give him a 14 week holiday if they want and never ever have to come back and give someone the same punishment again.

The next one from a NSWRL golden child can be grade 3 and a couple weeks and that will be the incident that sets precedent for that grading.

So the brand new judicial system and grading that they setup what 4 months ago is already not good enough??

The revision that was needed because too many players were spending time on the sideline.

The new system that has allowed Lolo to be charged with shoulder charges in two consecutive weeks and receive a fine for both.

Seems like it's a system setup purely for NSWRL to control who gets suspended and who doesnt based on "reasons".

Even Carrigan being sent straight to the judiciary means what he's being charged with is beyond the grading system and can never be used as precedent... they can give him a 14 week holiday if they want and never ever have to come back and give someone the same punishment again.

The next one from a NSWRL golden child can be grade 3 and a couple weeks and that will be the incident that sets precedent for that grading.

Yep that massive internal review did a massive amount of work to change...absolutely nothing.

I don't think we can get too fixated on precedents, especially one in which we all agree was too lean. The judiciary will be directed to adapt towards what the NRL wants to achieve. They've been making noise all season about wanting to stamp out this kind of tackle, and here we are with a really bad one, albeit arguably "unintentional," from one of the competitions' smartest and fairest players.

Before the season, I'd never even heard of a "hip drop" and now it's the biggest crime in rugby league. We went through the same process with high contact.

If you are to strictly adhere to earlier precedents, the game would still be in the 70's with swinging arms, face massages, spear tackles and king hits getting swept under the carpet. If the NRL is trying to "crack down" the penalties are invariably going to get larger over time. And then maybe settle down or ease off.

I would question the NRL breaking precedent when you see a player get off lighter than you would expect given what someone got earlier, and you agreed with the outcome. That last bit is important. It shouldn't be about getting revenge on another club for a punishment one of your own players got that seemed a bit too harsh. The entire process should course correct over time.

Well that's the ideal world, anyway. I prefer not to be a cynic.
That's how you'd like things to work, but precedent absolutely matters in the MRC and they can and do argue punishment/grading/innocence based on it.

As long as you can argue the incidents are similar, you can use it to plead your case.

That's how you'd like things to work, but precedent absolutely matters in the MRC and they can and do argue punishment/grading/innocence based on it.

As long as you can argue the incidents are similar, you can use it to plead your case.

Here is Annesley explaining the entire process from admin making the rules, MRC referring and grading to the Judiciary:

Here is Annesley explaining the entire process from admin making the rules, MRC referring and grading to the Judiciary:

Did he say precedents aren't considered anymore? I don't have time to watch that

Did he say precedents aren't considered anymore? I don't have time to watch that
He explains that it's independent. I haven't watched it all yet, but maybe it's best to hear their side of it rather than us fans making shit up.

true ... then the panel literally deliberate for 10 secs before awarding the punishment they had already decided to

Yep that massive internal review did a massive amount of work to change...absolutely nothing.
Well they did have all off-season to do it & it was still only announced during rd 1. I honestly don’t know what they do all day at the NRL.

Gamble out with "calf soreness" for indefinite period:

Gamble out with "calf soreness" for indefinite period:

About time there was an answer for it, I think this dispels the idea that his body broke down after playing middle.

He explains that it's independent. I haven't watched it all yet, but maybe it's best to hear their side of it rather than us fans making shit up.
I'm not making it up, it has always been this way with the MRC. They are run very similarly to a real legal system and it's been explained many times in the past that precedent is accounted for. There's been a few cases where someone fought a charge directly off another charge that was dismissed or downgraded and it was granted based on previous decisions.

Then again the NRL change rules every year these days so who knows.

I'm not making it up, it has always been this way with the MRC. They are run very similarly to a real legal system and it's been explained many times in the past that precedent is accounted for. There's been a few cases where someone fought a charge directly off another charge that was dismissed or downgraded and it was granted based on previous decisions.

Then again the NRL change rules every year these days so who knows.
I was self referring about making shit up. My point about precedents is yes they count, but like the real world legal system they course correct over time, especially when there's a "crackdown." There isn't even a written guidance on this type of tackle so we have to expect there will be a shitload of debate over it and whatever comes out in the end is more likely to become precedent than what's come before. If you listen to past players talk about it they can't even agree on what a "hip drop" is let alone formulate a punishment for it. Bear in mind the Judiciary includes past players.

We have to prepare for the worst on this one, and hope for the best. 3 weeks is probably the best, and that's going to take some fancy footwork by his lawyer. Chuck everything we know out the window.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.