Teams you're scared of in 2015

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
In terms of raw talent, I'm absolutely terrified of playing the Warriors next year, especially if they can convince Manly to grant Matai a release, this would be the way I'd compile their team, I think Tomkins would be a weapon at Five-Eighth, while Fisiiahi is a try scoring machine at Fullback.

1. Glen Fisiiahi
2. David Fusitua
3. Konrad Hurrell
4. Steve Matai
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Sam Tomkins
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jacob Lillyman
9. Nathan Friend
10. Sam Rapira
11. Ben Henry
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Simon Mannering (c)

14. Ben Matulino
15. Feleti Mateo
16. Suaia Matagi
17. Jason Bukuya

Tomkins for speedbump of the year at #6.

No more than Townsend. Tomkins is undoubtedly more talented than him in every aspect, I think it would be absolutely amazing for the Warriors, especially with Fisiiahi being his replacement at Fullback.

Only if they gain the consistency they have never been able to maintain.

I also don't believe they will move Tomkins into 5/8, but if they do, while he would be quite capable in attack, he would probably redefine the turnstile concept in defense. Besides, I think his best position is by far fullback, while Townsend has been complementing Johnson quite well too.

TBH, not "afraid" of anyone, but certainly respectful of the usual suspects in Storm, Manly, Chooks, Dogs and Souffs, and wary of Cowboys, Warriors and Tigers, who can rack up a score on their day.

Still thinking that Penrith is punching way above their weight (and credit to them), and will be in the rest of the pile above the Raiders, if they keep Sticky.

All of this can quickly change of course, as roster changes and injuries can play a great role and quickly turn a team from contender into pretender or vice-versa...

Not really. If Bennett has a brain all teams will be running scared of the Broncos.

Teams should definitely be scared of us next year. I know I'm already waiting for premiership odds!

I also have to say that I think a lot of you need to catch up to the Warriors. They used to be extremely inconsistent under Cleary and Elliott but under McFadden they are not. It's an old tag that frankly no longer applies to them. McFadden had a rocky first two weeks losing to the Dogs by a point and the Dragons by 10. Since then though they have won 8 of their last 12 games under his coaching. Their four losses were:

1) Dogs 16-12. Morris made a try saver on SJ to win them the game. Losing to a Hasler coached side is nothing to be ashamed of.
2) Souths 34-18. Warriors played this game in Perth 5 days after a home game, so long travel. They also led after 55mins, indicating perhaps the long travel took it's toll. Not a total excuse but a factor all the same.
3) Broncos 28-22. Based on how we are playing, that's a bad, embarrassing loss for them.
4) Manly 22-12. SJ was a late withdrawal. Take out your key playmaker and you'll struggle against Manly.

Honestly don't think you can be called an inconsistent side when you only lose to the top teams (Souths, Manly, Dogs) and have 1 game you should have won. Their 8 wins were mostly against crap teams (Tigers, Raiders x2, Eels, Knights, Broncos, Storm, Penrith) but if you won almost all the games you should and only lose to the top teams then you can't call them inconsistent. It indicates they are not a top side yet, for sure, but again, this does not make them inconsistent.

They are a completely different team under McFadden and if the combination with SJ and Tomkins continues and Hurrell develops on the same trajectory he has been then there are mostly definitely a team to fear. To call them inconsistent these days is clutching at straws IMO.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about their defense, I'm worried about their ability to score points, look at the amount of tries they're scoring this year, and this is without Fisiiahi, Matai, Hoffman.. their offense is going to go to a new level if all 3 of those guys come in and play to their strengths.

It should definitely be better though frankly Hoffman doesn't offer them much IMO. He's a good player but Mannering offers the same thing and I actually think Hoffman is a waste of money, especially given other backrowers like Bakuya, Henry, Sebastine I and Matagi all coming along.

The big in will be Matai, as both Lumape and Nielsen are crap centres who fail to put Manu in good positions and challenge defences. Matai has been very good of late in knowing when to go himself but also set up Taufua, and if you replace Taufua with Manu nothing will be lost.

I also think their defence is actually a bigger reason to fear them. They are driving in tackles and making metres without the ball on a regular basis. It's something McFadden has instilled in them and a Warriors team who have a dedicated defensive philosophy IMO only makes them more dangerous.

I think that with the squad we have next year we can be a team that other teams feel threatened by.

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • Cavalo
  • Fozz
  • Fatboy
  • porouian
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.