Tech Issues.....

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Ntfs.sys bsod. That's a new one. I've never seen that error before.

Now I can't access the windows.old folder after reformatting. I hate it when my computer decides to be a ****.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
You might want to sort that error out before you start going mental and installing things.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Already did.

Anyone know of another way to completely disable the Windows 10 anti-virus? Simply turning off real-time protection isn't doing the trick. It's still deleting shit I'm trying to install when I extract it onto the desktop.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Already did.

Anyone know of another way to completely disable the Windows 10 anti-virus? Simply turning off real-time protection isn't doing the trick. It's still deleting shit I'm trying to install when I extract it onto the desktop.
You'll need to do it for each file I'm pretty sure. Once it's removed something you can go in and allow it I'm pretty sure. Be careful though, not everything in a false positive, even if you know you're working with a questionable file.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
So here's a bit of an issue.

When I transferred the backup of my old hard drive onto my new one so I could pick out what I wanted to keep and delete etc, it was successful at first. Everything had transferred over and it was all there.

Reboot computer and then it wasn't. The space remaining on the hard drive says it wasn't there. Then I rebooted the computer for an unrelated reason and the space used has now changed significantly. 800GB had been used which is the size of the backup image file.

But here's the problem, the file is invisible.

I've tried everything I could think of.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
So here's a bit of an issue.

When I transferred the backup of my old hard drive onto my new one so I could pick out what I wanted to keep and delete etc, it was successful at first. Everything had transferred over and it was all there.

Reboot computer and then it wasn't. The space remaining on the hard drive says it wasn't there. Then I rebooted the computer for an unrelated reason and the space used has now changed significantly. 800GB had been used which is the size of the backup image file.

But here's the problem, the file is invisible.

I've tried everything I could think of.
Kimlo broncospwn

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
You sure it's not in C:\Windows.old?
I get the impression that he transferred to a different location? As in a different drive but for some reason it aint there? Absolutely check Windows.old though. Unless you formatted the drive of course.

This shit is why I always have a spare ssd, I never install back onto the same OS drive and anything important is saved to a different drive completely

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I get the impression that he transferred to a different location? As in a different drive but for some reason it aint there? Absolutely check Windows.old though. Unless you formatted the drive of course.

This shit is why I always have a spare ssd, I never install back onto the same OS drive and anything important is saved to a different drive completely
Yeah different drive.

I’ve searched the drive and it’s not showing up anywhere but the space used is saying it’s on there.

I can still get the files off the old drive so I haven’t lost the files completely but I would prefer to not have to format the drive again to free up the space.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Yeah different drive.

I’ve searched the drive and it’s not showing up anywhere but the space used is saying it’s on there.

I can still get the files off the old drive so I haven’t lost the files completely but I would prefer to not have to format the drive again to free up the space.
The drive you put the files on ok? I had a drive a while back that did something similar, turned out it was fucked. Worked that out by transferring the files to an external HD that I had and retrieved them without issue. It's odd, because it almost sounds like a permission issue.....if you've got another spare drive, flick them on to that. Or even just flick a few over to see, if there's not enough room

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Yeah different drive.

It looks like there may be some corruption with the table containing the files information on the Disk. This is handled differently depending on the file system.
Which file system are you using?

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
There's way too much information missing to be able to reply with anything useful.

1 - How did you backup? What system was used?
2 - How did you restore? Copy paste, image files, program?
3 - What do you mean "You searched for it, it's not there", searched for what? The restored files?
4 - There's disk analyzer programs that tell you where the space on your disk is being used
5 - If Port is reading this, I hope you get a BSOD.

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
There's way too much information missing to be able to reply with anything useful.

1 - How did you backup? What system was used?
2 - How did you restore? Copy paste, image files, program?
3 - What do you mean "You searched for it, it's not there", searched for what? The restored files?
4 - There's disk analyzer programs that tell you where the space on your disk is being used
5 - If Port is reading this, I hope you get a BSOD.

Allo

NRL Captain
Not a tech issue per se, but the nephew has just put the wiimote through the telly. Anyone had luck fixing a similar situation?

New-ish Sony Bravia LED

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter