Tech Issues.....

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
Not a tech issue per se, but the nephew has just put the wiimote through the telly. Anyone had luck fixing a similar situation?

New-ish Sony Bravia LED
Depends on the value of the TV, but a TV repairer will be able to quote. I think you'll probably be better off with a new tele though.

Better question. Why on earth was he allowed to play without the bloody straps on?

Allo

NRL Captain
Depends on the value of the TV, but a TV repairer will be able to quote. I think you'll probably be better off with a new tele though.

Better question. Why on earth was he allowed to play without the bloody straps on?
Yeah thought so

It was a case of eventually it was going to happen. The father (bro-in-law) will not be happy. I’ll put my hand up and say I should’ve done something to prevent it (as the ‘responsible adult’) but it’s been let go by mum for too long. He’s 11, so we kinda expected a bit more care from him (as unfair as that may sound)

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
Yeah thought so

It was a case of eventually it was going to happen. The father (bro-in-law) will not be happy. I’ll put my hand up and say I should’ve done something to prevent it (as the ‘responsible adult’) but it’s been let go by mum for too long. He’s 11, so we kinda expected a bit more care from him (as unfair as that may sound)
If he's been told to wear them, that's a fuckload of lawns and mowing.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Yeah thought so

I'd cut a deal with him. Don't tell mum and Dad in exchange for his soul. Have him washing your car and mowing your lawn every week til he's an old man.

Jedhead

NRL Player
Get him out to the yard or a park to play some real sport. It won't fix the TV but it might cure some of his addiction to electronic media.

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane
You almost definitely cannot fix it. The panel is almost always worth more than the whole TV lol. It's silly but that's the TV market.

Allo

NRL Captain
Does your brother in law have contents insurance? Often accidental damage is included.
Yeah that’s the route we’re taking at this stage. We’re double checking the policy. He did a good job. Smack-bang in the middle of the screen - right on the focal point of most things

Allo

NRL Captain
Thanks team. Figured it was a lost cause for repair, but thought I’d ask all the same

It’s funny how flawed the concept of a motion-controlled controller for a console that’s aimed at kids is. I guess our problem is about a decade removed though

Morkel

International Captain
Received a very convincing email this morning. It was to an email that I do have an itunes account on, so I was worried at first. Looking closer though there are no details confirming it's actually my itunes account. I logged in (not using those links of course, hello virus) to my actual account and there are no orders, but I can see why people would instinctively go straight to "cancel this purchase".

Last edited:

Unbreakable

International Rep
27.4° S, 153.0° E
Received a very convincing email this morning. It was to an email that I do have an itunes account on, so I was worried at first. Looking closer though there are no details confirming it's actually my itunes account. I logged in (not using those links of course, hello virus) to my actual account and there are no orders, but I can see why people would instinctively go straight to "cancel this purchase".

View attachment 5490
I had a very convincing PayPal one the other day as well. Did the same thing, logged in to PayPal (not through any of the e-mail links) to confirm it was fake.

They're getting better.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
I had a very convincing PayPal one the other day as well. Did the same thing, logged in to PayPal (not through any of the e-mail links) to confirm it was fake.

They're getting better.
Yep, got an extremely convincing one from PayPal and did the same thing you did. Someone more familiar with this sort of thing to confirm, but my understanding is anything from itunes etc will address you by name.

Porthoz

International Captain
Yes, check that they address you by name.
Second, always check the domain address any link of the email tries to direct you to. Note that most links will be legit (help, contact us, etc...), but that button will point you to something different.

Banks will never send you direct links by the way.

Morkel

International Captain
Also, they always still have the odd spelling mistake or grammatical error. From what I understand, it's because they want to catch out the people who don't read things thoroughly, as they're better targets.

In this case, "Visit online Order Status to view the most up-to-date status and Cancel to your order".

Yes, I would like a Cancel to my order, kind sir.

Waynesaurus

NRL Player
Springfield
Anybody else switched to a Desktop distro of Linux and rid themselves of the ball and chain that is Windoze. :indeed:

I switched about 4 months ago...........the first couple of weeks after the transition is tough but it is worth the effort.

Game wise Steam Proton whilst not able to run everything is pretty decent at running windows stuff and there is now plenty of native linux version of newer games.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
Anybody else switched to a Desktop distro of Linux and rid themselves of the ball and chain that is Windoze. :indeed:

I switched about 4 months ago...........the first couple of weeks after the transition is tough but it is worth the effort.

Game wise Steam Proton whilst not able to run everything is pretty decent at running windows stuff and there is now plenty of native linux version of newer games.
Attempted it for years. The year of Linux only gets further away each year. What distro are you on.

BHQ is bought to you buy CentOS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.