Tech Issues.....

Waynesaurus

NRL Player
Springfield
On Mint Cinnamon 19.1 at the moment as I have most of my experience with and prefer debian based distros.

I think Desktop has come a long way, its pretty straight forward to install now, gaming with Steam Proton as well as installing GPU drivers is mostly just a few clicks.

I used CentOS many years ago as a host for VMWare server before it was ditched for Esxi.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
On Mint Cinnamon 19.1 at the moment as I have most of my experience with and prefer debian based distros.

I think Desktop has come a long way, its pretty straight forward to install now, gaming with Steam Proton as well as installing GPU drivers is mostly just a few clicks.

I used CentOS many years ago as a host for VMWare server before it was ditched for Esxi.
I started my Linux life on RedHat then into Fedora when RH went commerical. Tried Ubuntu and Slack over the years, but just have never felt that Linux has ever been ready to be anything in consumer land. I think the devs were too focussed on being super linux nerds, that they've missed the boat, cause Windows just works now.

just have never felt that Linux has ever been ready to be anything in consumer land. I think the devs were too focussed on being super linux nerds, that they've missed the boat, cause Windows just works now.
Think you've nailed it there. I've played around with a few but windows is good enough now I don't even bother. Plus with the WSL you can run scripts and so on easily under Windows.

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane
Anybody else switched to a Desktop distro of Linux and rid themselves of the ball and chain that is Windoze. :indeed:

I switched about 4 months ago...........the first couple of weeks after the transition is tough but it is worth the effort.

Game wise Steam Proton whilst not able to run everything is pretty decent at running windows stuff and there is now plenty of native linux version of newer games.
Never have, likely never will.

What's the appeal of Linux? I just don't see it. I can understand avoiding a licence fee for WIndows but they're easily found for 10 bucks on Ebay. If it's MS is spying on us, I honestly don't care. I'd be more worried if it was an Australian company making the OS and would definitely avoid it in that case.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
Never have, likely never will.

What's the appeal of Linux? I just don't see it. I can understand avoiding a licence fee for WIndows but they're easily found for 10 bucks on Ebay. If it's MS is spying on us, I honestly don't care. I'd be more worried if it was an Australian company making the OS and would definitely avoid it in that case.
I can't speak of the last few years, I've only installed a few distros to basically see if Linux is still Linux. It is.

It used to be the fact it was open source, which, if you know what you're doing, gives you a lot more power over the user experience than what Windows could do, and third party options weren't really available in those early days. Anyone remember Rainmeter for example? Ran like fucking trash. That sort of stuff was easy in Linux.

I liked to play with Linux just because I liked mucking around with computer shit, and Windows was crap. I only ever attempted a full switch a couple of times, and it was never long before I was back to dual booting.

Back then, installing Linux wasn't as straight forward as starting an installer and waiting. Getting the dickhead of a system stable and working was a frustrating achievement for a young Nashy looking for a new way to break his computer.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter

Upgrade to a Contributor Account to remove advertising