Tech Issues.....

Waynesaurus

NRL Player
Springfield
On Mint Cinnamon 19.1 at the moment as I have most of my experience with and prefer debian based distros.

I think Desktop has come a long way, its pretty straight forward to install now, gaming with Steam Proton as well as installing GPU drivers is mostly just a few clicks.

I used CentOS many years ago as a host for VMWare server before it was ditched for Esxi.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
On Mint Cinnamon 19.1 at the moment as I have most of my experience with and prefer debian based distros.

I think Desktop has come a long way, its pretty straight forward to install now, gaming with Steam Proton as well as installing GPU drivers is mostly just a few clicks.

I used CentOS many years ago as a host for VMWare server before it was ditched for Esxi.
I started my Linux life on RedHat then into Fedora when RH went commerical. Tried Ubuntu and Slack over the years, but just have never felt that Linux has ever been ready to be anything in consumer land. I think the devs were too focussed on being super linux nerds, that they've missed the boat, cause Windows just works now.

just have never felt that Linux has ever been ready to be anything in consumer land. I think the devs were too focussed on being super linux nerds, that they've missed the boat, cause Windows just works now.
Think you've nailed it there. I've played around with a few but windows is good enough now I don't even bother. Plus with the WSL you can run scripts and so on easily under Windows.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Anybody else switched to a Desktop distro of Linux and rid themselves of the ball and chain that is Windoze. :indeed:

I switched about 4 months ago...........the first couple of weeks after the transition is tough but it is worth the effort.

Game wise Steam Proton whilst not able to run everything is pretty decent at running windows stuff and there is now plenty of native linux version of newer games.
Never have, likely never will.

What's the appeal of Linux? I just don't see it. I can understand avoiding a licence fee for WIndows but they're easily found for 10 bucks on Ebay. If it's MS is spying on us, I honestly don't care. I'd be more worried if it was an Australian company making the OS and would definitely avoid it in that case.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Never have, likely never will.

What's the appeal of Linux? I just don't see it. I can understand avoiding a licence fee for WIndows but they're easily found for 10 bucks on Ebay. If it's MS is spying on us, I honestly don't care. I'd be more worried if it was an Australian company making the OS and would definitely avoid it in that case.
I can't speak of the last few years, I've only installed a few distros to basically see if Linux is still Linux. It is.

It used to be the fact it was open source, which, if you know what you're doing, gives you a lot more power over the user experience than what Windows could do, and third party options weren't really available in those early days. Anyone remember Rainmeter for example? Ran like fucking trash. That sort of stuff was easy in Linux.

I liked to play with Linux just because I liked mucking around with computer shit, and Windows was crap. I only ever attempted a full switch a couple of times, and it was never long before I was back to dual booting.

Back then, installing Linux wasn't as straight forward as starting an installer and waiting. Getting the dickhead of a system stable and working was a frustrating achievement for a young Nashy looking for a new way to break his computer.

Last edited:

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Yes, because it will be using shitloads of your already limited resources. If you have it running while playing games, kill it.
Recommendations for an alternative? I have it for 2 main reasons - monitoring internet usage at all times, and monitoring system resources while gaming. The first is not as critical now that we're on the NBN, but it's still good to know what's chugging. The second is obvious - so that I can see what games are maxing out the resources and what games are being handled with ease. Allows me to adjust settings in-game if necessary.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Recommendations for an alternative? I have it for 2 main reasons - monitoring internet usage at all times, and monitoring system resources while gaming. The first is not as critical now that we're on the NBN, but it's still good to know what's chugging. The second is obvious - so that I can see what games are maxing out the resources and what games are being handled with ease. Allows me to adjust settings in-game if necessary.
Use task manager, and get out of the mindset that you need to monitor those pointless numbers constantly.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Doesn't in game performance tell you that one though? Ironically, if that program is as resource hungry as described, you're sacrificing performance to monitor performance.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Doesn't in game performance tell you that one though? Ironically, if that program is as resource hungry as described, you're sacrificing performance to monitor performance.
Yeah it's all BS. Just look at FPS numbers in game (origin/steam all have FPS counters). Less than 60FPS = craptastic. More = good. So adjust for highest graphics where you get a constant 60FPS and by a constant I mean very few, or no dips below 60.

Ironically, having a game at 40% CPU/GPU usage does not mean you're hardware isn't chugging it usually means the game is a poor optimised POS that can't utilise all of your computers power.

Last edited:

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Yeah it's all BS. Just look at FPS numbers in game (origin/steam all have FPS counters). Less than 60FPS = craptastic. More = good. So adjust for highest graphics where you get a constant 60FPS and by a constant I mean very few, or no dips below 60.

Ironically, having a game at 40% CPU/GPU usage does not mean you're hardware isn't chugging it usually means the game is a poor optimised POS that can't utilise all of your computers power.
Stupid Battlefield has my CPU sitting between 90-100% while my GPU is like 50%. Bring on Ryzen.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Use task manager, and get out of the mindset that you need to monitor those pointless numbers constantly.
Whatever. Don't call my computer's resources "limited". It's how it uses it. Is it too much for it to want a little feedback from time to time?

"H..how am I doing?"
(Looks at everything maxing out). "Great champ, just hold that speed"
(Temp increases). "kay...."

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Whatever. Don't call my computer's resources "limited". It's how it uses it. Is it too much for it to want a little feedback from time to time?

"H..how am I doing?"
(Looks at everything maxing out). "Great champ, just hold that speed"
(Temp increases). "kay...."
I'm certain your CPU lacks enough power to feel emotions, but if it does, then I reckon it would feel pretty shitty about you watching over it's shoulder constantly.

But honestly, drop RM man, I get it, you can make it look pretty rad, but there are far better resources available for simple text overlays if you really feel the need to watch that stuff. I still wouldn't recommend them. On that system, you want as little open as possible, including browser windows! Browsers eat memory.

The only connection information that matters in game is ping, I'm not sure where that's located in Apex, but I'm sure it's built in. Origin will do the FPS for you.

Jedhead

NRL Player
When people attach tweets to a post all I get at the moment is the wee blue birdy, the tweet is not viewable. Anyone else getting this?

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
When people attach tweets to a post all I get at the moment is the wee blue birdy, the tweet is not viewable. Anyone else getting this?
Not me, can you let us know if you’re on a PC (if so, what browser), or phone (what sort of phone), etc, we’ll do some digging.

When a tweet has since been deleted I’ve noticed in the past it’ll appear here as described, but as far as I know all the recent tweets posted here are all good, hence they should display properly.

Jedhead

NRL Player
I
Not me, can you let us know if you’re on a PC (if so, what browser), or phone (what sort of phone), etc, we’ll do some digging.

When a tweet has since been deleted I’ve noticed in the past it’ll appear here as described, but as far as I know all the recent tweets posted here are all good, hence they should display properly.
It has been fine up until now.
Im on a PC using Firefox.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter