Tech Issues.....

Allo

NRL Captain
When you say it failed to load the items, does any part of the router interface load? Or are you on Netgear Genie and get this stupid thing;

View attachment 6646
Genie. it kinda does, but it loads like a regular website on a slow connection with the basic text and lots of ‘ :/ ’ faces where tiles and sub-menus should be

now I’m trying to revive my MacBook that half died trying to connect which definitely needs a new battery/replacing with a PC probably haha

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Genie. it kinda does, but it loads like a regular website on a slow connection with the basic text and lots of ‘ :/ ’ faces where tiles and sub-menus should be

now I’m trying to revive my MacBook that half died trying to connect which definitely needs a new battery/replacing with a PC probably haha
Do you have any access to ethernet?

Allo

NRL Captain
Might be moving into hardware failure if the same thing is across multiple devices.
I’m off to the Apple store tomorrow to see if they can revive the old girl. Probably needs a new battery at least. Wifi issue will have to wait. RIP data allowance

Allo

NRL Captain
I’m off to the Apple store tomorrow to see if they can revive the old girl. Probably needs a new battery at least. Wifi issue will have to wait. RIP data allowance
I waited for 15 minutes before getting told it’s ‘obsolete’. There’s an entire product history on file and just by entering the Serial Number when booking the appointment it should’ve have flagged that it’s not able to be repaired. Probably just an excuse to get me into the store on the chance I’ll buy a new one there and then.

does anyone know a good 3rd party repairer?

Just want to get it going again, even temporarily to get some stuff off it (I have a time machine backup but that’s useless I’m assuming on anything not Apple)

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Kimlo Kimlo maybe able to help with the computer.

Router wise, I think you're up for a new one. You've spent more time than they are worth in troubleshooting that one.

Allo

NRL Captain
Kimlo Kimlo maybe able to help with the computer.

Router wise, I think you're up for a new one. You've spent more time than they are worth in troubleshooting that one.
yeah I think you’re right, both have served me well for almost a decade. Really did not need the cost at this time of year though

Thanks for your help anyway

also a good chance to change off TPG and switch to Aussie

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
I waited for 15 minutes before getting told it’s ‘obsolete’. There’s an entire product history on file and just by entering the Serial Number when booking the appointment it should’ve have flagged that it’s not able to be repaired. Probably just an excuse to get me into the store on the chance I’ll buy a new one there and then.

Just want to get it going again, even temporarily to get some stuff off it (I have a time machine backup but that’s useless I’m assuming on anything not Apple)
I’d just pull the HDD out (see https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+Hard+Drive+Removal/85373) and then buy a very cheap 2.5” HDD external enclosure from Umart and put the drive in there. Then hook the drive up to another Mac and then copy your files to a different place.

TBH mate, having a 1TB cloud account that’s auto synced would have saved you. I use OneDrive as you get 1TB for free with Office 365.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba

Next Byte in Brisbane City are really good for repairs, but can be a bit expensive. They are the only Apple licensed repairers that I’ve used when I couldn’t do it myself.

Last edited:

Allo

NRL Captain
Next Byte in Brisbane City are really good for repairs, but can be a bit expensive. They are the only Apple licensed repairers that I’ve used when I couldn’t do it myself.
googled them and seems like they closed a couple years ago? Unless they’ve changed names

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
googled them and seems like they closed a couple years ago? Unless they’ve changed names
Oh yeah, they been gone a while apparently. You're honestly not missing much, for Soup's experience, there is another 10 after him who would have complained, and had to take out a second mortgage. Think Apple store, but the employees can't be touched by Apple, but can charge like them.

Allo

NRL Captain
I’d just pull the HDD out (see https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+Hard+Drive+Removal/85373) and then buy a very cheap 2.5” HDD external enclosure from Umart and put the drive in there. Then hook the drive up to another Mac and then copy your files to a different place.

TBH mate, having a 1TB cloud account that’s auto synced would have saved you. I use OneDrive as you get 1TB for free with Office 365.
yeah see this is what I want to do if I have no other options of Frankenstein-ing it. I’ll have to borrow another Mac from somewhere to do it, but that should be all I hopefully need in the end. Thanks for the link 👍🏻

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I think Kimlo Kimlo has apple quals too.
Apple qualified tech indeed!

If you're in Southside, shoot me a model number and I can definitely give you a quote and get it fixed up.

As far as Apple hardware goes, anything in the 5-7 year bracket is considered "vintage" and service (aka repairs) will only be offered in certain regions where they are legally obliged to (California I think is one), anything above 7 years is considered obsolete and no parts are kept and no service will be offered through Apple or any AASP worldwide.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter