Tech Issues.....

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Apple qualified tech indeed!

If you're in Southside, shoot me a model number and I can definitely give you a quote and get it fixed up.

As far as Apple hardware goes, anything in the 5-7 year bracket is considered "vintage" and service (aka repairs) will only be offered in certain regions where they are legally obliged to (California I think is one), anything above 7 years is considered obsolete and no parts are kept and no service will be offered through Apple or any AASP worldwide.
Not entirely true, but I had a special case. My late 2011 17” MBP has had its Motherboard replaced 3 years ago, and then again last year, all free of charge.

There was a class action case regarding the graphics chipset in this machine, so I’ve been pretty damned lucky.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Not entirely true, but I had a special case. My late 2011 17” MBP has had its Motherboard replaced 3 years ago, and then again last year, all free of charge.

There was a class action case regarding the graphics chipset in this machine, so I’ve been pretty damned lucky.
I didn't quite word that right, I was meant to say 5-7 years from being discontinued. So as soon the iPhone 6 stopped being sold at Apple, 5 years on from that day they will not offer repairs through any official channel.

Given they now keep things on sale for years after, it's less of a problem but when I worked at Apple, a lot of people got angry about having no service options for their Macbook that was 6-7 years old.

Last edited:

Allo

NRL Captain

i literally had the same thing with mine. It’s a 2011 model too that got a free graphics replacement a few years ago would have been.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
i literally had the same thing with mine. It’s a 2011 model too that got a free graphics replacement a few years ago would have been.
Yeah, and if you take it in now and push that you’ve bought a shitpile of Apple gear over the years (on record via your account) I guarantee they’ll fix it for free. I have bought in excess of $30k of apple gear over the past 15 years. They fall over themselves to replace. 2 years ago I showered at one of those beachside showers at Mooloolaba with my iPhone 6s+ and went to the Apple store the same day (after it had somewhat dried out) and pulled the customer loyalty card. Brand new iPhone 6S+ in my pocket straight away.

Allo

NRL Captain
Yeah, and if you take it in now and push that you’ve bought a shitpile of Apple gear over the years (on record via your account) I guarantee they’ll fix it for free. I have bought in excess of $30k of apple gear over the past 15 years. They fall over themselves to replace. 2 years ago I showered at one of those beachside showers at Mooloolaba with my iPhone 6s+ and went to the Apple store the same day (after it had somewhat dried out) and pulled the customer loyalty card. Brand new iPhone 6S+ in my pocket straight away.
well unfortunately I don’t have that amount of clout to wield.

it’s probably a good time to return to PC Windows land in some form anyway

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
well unfortunately I don’t have that amount of clout to wield.

it’s probably a good time to return to PC Windows land in some form anyway
I’m doing the same once my 2011 MBP dies. Looking forward to it too.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola
Ha, and after that comment, I got an iPad for work today!

Bloody things... they don't work logically, I swear! Maybe my mind is just too programmed with Windows and Android.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Fucking motherboard is fried.

The one thing I've always liked about MSY is their warranty process. If a part I bought from their failed or was faulty within the warranty period then I could just take it to the closest store and get it replaced that day or get a credit if they didn't have that part.

Unfortunately I bought my parts from Umart. I have to wait until Monday before they can even begin the process. And then it will still take a couple of days at the very least.

So now I have to go buy another motherboard because I can't wait that long.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Went through the whole warranty process with Umart and they sent my motherboard back to MSI to be repaired and MSI send me back a refurbished board that doesn’t work.

I don’t see why they couldn’t just give me a brand new board. But now I have to go through all of this again and likely with the same result.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
Went through the whole warranty process with Umart and they sent my motherboard back to MSI to be repaired and MSI send me back a refurbished board that doesn’t work.

I don’t see why they couldn’t just give me a brand new board. But now I have to go through all of this again and likely with the same result.
Contact MSI directly and tell them to stick their refurbished shit up their ass. You have a right to a brand new replacement under Australian consumer law, so they can swallow it.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Whats wrong with it?
It's just not booting. It turns on but that's all that happens.

The boot LED on the board was lit up at first, then I flashed the BIOS thinking MSI didn't do that, and the boot LED would turn off but still nothing either way. I've tried different parts that I know work, still nothing.

I'm going to try a couple more things before I take it back, but it's looking like the board is fucked.

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
I’m not sure this is the right thread but I’m having trouble with another forum that I like to visit called nrlsupercoachtalk. Even though the usernames are different I suspect some of you guys are on there too and I was wondering if you are having the same problem. For the last couple of days every time I try to get on there I get a message saying that the site I’m trying to log on to is possibly impersonating nrlsupercoachtalk to try and steal my personal and financial information. Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone know how to get around it and on to the proper site?

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
I’m not sure this is the right thread but I’m having trouble with another forum that I like to visit called nrlsupercoachtalk. Even though the usernames are different I suspect some of you guys are on there too and I was wondering if you are having the same problem. For the last couple of days every time I try to get on there I get a message saying that the site I’m trying to log on to is possibly impersonating nrlsupercoachtalk to try and steal my personal and financial information. Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone know how to get around it and on to the proper site?
Yeah, it's an issue with their site at the moment - their security certificate ran out a few days ago, and for whatever reason they haven't renewed it.

I've found it's impossible to get on to the site through the regular web browser on my phone, easiest way around it (if you're only using a phone / tablet) would be to use Google Chrome or Safari web browser, with those you should be able to click "advanced" and then "proceed to site anyway" or something along those lines. There's no actual security risk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.