Tesi Niu Discussion

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Anyone see the Lions vs Tongan invitiational?

Tesi Niu a Broncos reserve player was playing at Fullback in Tonga's unexpected win on the Lions and he was Mega, we might have our new Number 1.

Anyone else see the game?

I've heard he was terrific, now mega but I just didn't see it.

I'm not getting the hype about his performance. Sure he had some good kick returns but in terms of attack, he hardly did anything.

He was fine, but he wasn't as exceptional as everyone is making out. His body shape and running style reminded me a little bit of Raiders Milford, except probably about 20% less footwork and 100% less play making potential.

Would probably rather start the season giving Isaako first crack, who has shown he actually does have some passing & kicking ability.

I watched too. He was safe under the high ball and mostly well positioned for fielding kicks. Kind of quiet in attack but made a good break on a kick return, probably robbed a try by a professional foul (which the british player didnt get 10) and ran for about 180 metres but got bent back a bit in tackles when taking hit ups (no more than boyd, milf or isaako at times though).

Tonga's defence was well organised so whether that was tesi directing it could also support his case for fullback

He was fine, but he wasn't as exceptional as everyone is making out. His body shape and running style reminded me a little bit of Raiders Milford, except probably about 20% less footwork and 100% less play making potential.

Would probably rather start the season giving Isaako first crack, who has shown he actually does have some passing & kicking ability.
He's only 18 , which makes his debut pretty impressive.

And I got grilled about a week ago for raising concern that he could be someone that gets poached.

The thread got discontinued because I was talking about a “no name”

Well done. You should gloat. We all make a million predictions on here, so when one of those is right, milk it for all its worth. This is league journalism 101.

Last edited:

Geez you are a tough marker. The kid just turned 18 and already looked better than any option we have. He has been highly rated in the junior grades and I know for a fact that he is well liked among Broncos players and sounds like he is in the Tonga team as well.

Last edited:
Well done. You should gloat. We all make a million predictions on here, so when one of those is right, milk it for all its worth. This is league journalism 101.

Not gloating. I didn’t make a prediction either. I just asked everyone if he could be poached because there hasn’t been a huge focus on him at the Broncos with players like Fifita, Haas, Dearden and Staggs coming through. It’s obvious that he’s talented.. that wasn’t a prediction.. more so an opinion.

And I got grilled about a week ago for raising concern that he could be someone that gets poached.

The thread got discontinued because I was talking about a “no name”

Think you’ll find you get mocked because you say every ISC is the best but can’t recall a single game they’ve ever played.

You know what is exciting is that there is a kid who may just jump the cue based on huge leap in output, not just potential. That’s what should happen at the Broncs.

I feel like that pretty accurately describes Turpin, and Isaako last year though that didn’t pan out so well this year.

I’d like to see Souths improve so Tesi and Vudogo can show some skills not just defence with seven guys at you and bringing off your line again.

Both were great against the Jets when the season was done and they played football after a horrible start.

Think you’ll find you get mocked because you say every ISC is the best but can’t recall a single game they’ve ever played.

That’s simply not true. I see potential.

Tesi has potential and he happened to show it in the nines and international game a couple weeks after I mentioned it.

If you actually kept a real track record of things I’ve said.. A lot of them turn out to be true.. Maybe that’s why people get so mad?

Not gloating. I didn’t make a prediction either. I just asked everyone if he could be poached because there hasn’t been a huge focus on him at the Broncos with players like Fifita, Haas, Dearden and Staggs coming through. It’s obvious that he’s talented.. that wasn’t a prediction.. more so an opinion.
It's almost like a thread exists to discuss exactly that scenario.

I like that he can play multiple positions in the backline. Even more reason to move on Boyd, or leave him out of the 17, and give these young guys some exposure to first grade.. If we don't Coates, Farnworth, Niu, Perese, and Arthurs will likely end up elsewhere. I'd move Bird if we can too, as I think these guys offer adequate cover and we can reallocate the funds elsewhere

Last edited:

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Mr Fourex
  • winslow_wong
  • Astro
  • GCBRONCO
  • Old Mate
  • Justwin
  • HVbronco
  • BroncsNBundy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • I bleed Maroon
  • johnny plath
  • jd87
  • Strop
  • bazza
  • Brocko
  • Yem
  • Bronx48
  • broncos4life
  • Skyblues87
... and 73 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.