Tesi Niu Discussion

Hate to burst you bubble, but you are wrong about that. U20's was a youth competition, not a junior competition. That's why it was known as the National Youth Competition. I'm not an expert on this and @1910 Or @Big Pete may be able to help me out here, but I believe junior football is up to 17 years old? So the u18's comp is for juniors. Doesn't hurt to educate yourself.

Typically Under-16s since that is when they're first registered.

I understand where UTB is coming from. Technically Lodge is a Penrith junior, but he did come up through the Storm development pathway and that's where Seibs got to know him. He's got a type and the number of ex-Storm juniors is growing.

Personally it's a trend that concerns me.

Typically Under-16s since that is when they're first registered.

I understand where UTB is coming from. Technically Lodge is a Penrith junior, but he did come up through the Storm development pathway and that's where Seibs got to know him. He's got a type and the number of ex-Storm juniors is growing.

Personally it's a trend that concerns me.

Thanks mate. Must admit I find it odd you can call an 18 year old a junior but there you go, 16 makes a bit more sense. I do think there is a bit of confusion about the junior system and the development system at an NRL club for young guys in some respects. The junior clubs deserve a bit more recognition than I feel they get. Just because you may end up in the Broncos system doesnt mean Brisbane should get all the credit.

What concerns you about the ex Melbourne players Seibs knows mate? A jobs for the boys thing or something else?

Last edited:
My concern is that he's sticking inside his comfort zone. Instead of scouting the best talent or backing his own ability as a coach, he's picking up off-cuts under the guise it will be easier and the players will buy in.

It's a mistake I see a lot of coaches make. They struggle to work with the current players, so they bring in players from their previous club and over-estimate their ability. It usually ends in tears and the club has to work extra hard to recover.

Last edited:
My concern is that he's sticking inside his comfort zone. Instead of scouting the best talent or backing his own ability as a coach, he's picking up off-cuts under the guise it will be easier and the players will buy in.

It's a mistake I see a lot of coaches make. They struggle to work with the current players, so they bring in players from their previous club and over-estimate their ability. It usually ends in tears and the club has to work extra hard to recover.

I don’t think Arthars or Turpin will tear the Broncos apart. Kennedy is another one who he has recruited.

These guys are players that he knows have potential that’s more than their market value because he’s coached them.

They are frugal buys.

It’s not like what Bennett did to knights by recruiting Beau Scott and Jeremy Smith on overs.

Brisbane require higher quality players, they can't just fill their squad up with off-cuts and hope to improve. Especially if they come at the expense of better home grown prospects.

Tualau and Petterson-Robati are supposedly both on train and trial deals as well.

Last edited:
I consider players who played for an NRL club in under 20’s, a junior of the club.

Hence, Storm junior.

So you play U6-U18 in Roma then move to Melbourne and after one day you’re exclusively a Storm product and never played anywhere else?
[automerge]1572335594[/automerge]
Hate to burst you bubble, but you are wrong about that. U20's was a youth competition, not a junior competition. That's why it was known as the National Youth Competition. I'm not an expert on this and @1910 Or @Big Pete may be able to help me out here, but I believe junior football is up to 17 years old? So the u18's comp is for juniors. Doesn't hurt to educate yourself.

After Under 16 you’re a senior.
Makes it even more ridiculous when the argument is he is a Storm junior. So he played U8 for the Storm did he?

Last edited:
Brisbane require higher quality players, they can't just fill their squad up with off-cuts and hope to improve. Especially if they come at the expense of better home grown prospects.

Tualau and Petterson-Robati are supposedly both on train and trial deals as well.

I'd agree with that. Imo we didn't need Kennedy even though he has done ok. We didn't need Arthars when we have the likes of Herbie, and Niu.

Hope it's true about Enari Tuala. As ordinary as he was in 2019, he was as good as Staggs in 2018. Maybe Green stunted his development. Only problem is he is very much a right center and that's Staggs best position.

I'd agree with that. Imo we didn't need Kennedy even though he has done ok. We didn't need Arthars when we have the likes of Herbie, and Niu.

Hope it's true about Enari Tuala. As ordinary as he was in 2019, he was as good as Staggs in 2018. Maybe Green stunted his development. Only problem is he is very much a right center and that's Staggs best position.

Francis Tualau, not Enari.

I hope for Queensland's sake that Enari either reunites with Ponga or ends up in Melbourne.

Last edited:
So you play U6-U18 in Roma then move to Melbourne and after one day you’re exclusively a Storm product and never played anywhere else?
[automerge]1572335594[/automerge]

After Under 16 you’re a senior.
Makes it even more ridiculous when the argument is he is a Storm junior. So he played U8 for the Storm did he?

Mate, I never said anything about Turpin being exclusively a Storm junior.. You guys know what I mean.

Pedantic BS wasting space in the thread.

Lets keep the talk to what actually matters hey?

Tuala is decent. He’d be a good pick up for Titans. Was surprised Green let him go.

Tuala is decent. He’d be a good pick up for Titans. Was surprised Green let him go.

I wasn't tbh. He doesn't have a great deal of patience with some of the younger guys and seems to favour his tried and trusted older heads.
[automerge]1572336547[/automerge]
Mate, I never said anything about Turpin being exclusively a Storm junior.. You guys know what I mean.

Pedantic BS wasting space in the thread.

Lets keep the talk to what actually matters hey?

It's not really being pedantic as they are two totally different areas of a players development. If it's wrong, it's wrong.

Last edited:
I'm watching a replay of Tonga v Lions, I can see why someone earlier likened Niu to a young Milford, he definitely looks similar in broken play.

Goodness me, what has happened to Hurrell? Did he literally eat a horse?

Actually you know what, there is just the slightest bit of K.Hunt about Niu as well, just a hint but it is there.

Goodness me, what has happened to Hurrell? Did he literally eat a horse?

Actually you know what, there is just the slightest bit of K.Hunt about Niu as well, just a hint but it is there.

He has good back field defence. Is solid in returning the ball, doesn’t look afraid. Which is probably where you get the hint of K. Hunt.

If he gets fitness up and his support and passing play in order he could be on his way to becoming a similar player to Slater and Tedesco. Well, that’s at least where he should be aiming to be. I believe he has the potential.
[automerge]1572339698[/automerge]
I wasn't tbh. He doesn't have a great deal of patience with some of the younger guys and seems to favour his tried and trusted older heads.
[automerge]1572336547[/automerge]

It's not really being pedantic as they are two totally different areas of a players development. If it's wrong, it's wrong.

I don’t actually care if I’m wrong. You guys just take it off topic which is annoying. Could just chill out a bit.

Pedantic -

excessively concerned with minor details or rules; overscrupulous.
"his analyses are careful and even painstaking, but never pedantic"

Last edited:
He has good back field defence. Is solid in returning the ball, doesn’t look afraid. Which is probably where you get the hint of K. Hunt.

If he gets fitness up and his support and passing play in order he could be on his way to becoming a similar player to Slater and Tedesco. Well, that’s at least where he should be aiming to be. I believe he has the potential.
[automerge]1572339698[/automerge]

I don’t actually care if I’m wrong. You guys just take it off topic which is annoying. Could just chill out a bit.

Pedantic -

excessively concerned with minor details or rules; overscrupulous.
"his analyses are careful and even painstaking, but never pedantic"

Its not pedantic though as its not a minor detail. Your stalking of me in this thread is weird. Leave me alone

Active Now

• Brocko
  • mitch222
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Hurrijo
  • Broncorob
  • Scorchie
  • pennywisealfie
  • Santa
  • Midean
  • Fitzy
  • Spike
  • Rookie Alan
  • Organix
  • Adammacca
  • IceWorks
  • bb_gun
  • broncos4life
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Harry Sack
  • lynx000
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.