Test Fullback

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Reading the paper this morning, came across an article about how many candidates there are for fullback in the test teams and origin as well.

Got me thinking, who do you reckon they'll select for the Centenary Test?

I have a bad feeling they're going to pick Stewart mainly because he's the incumbent.

Surely the selectors would choose Hunt though? He's the future. He's the best there is at the moment IMO. Safest under the high ball, positioning is superb, runs back with vigour and his support play has improved greatly in his time in first grade. Plus there's the combination with Lockyer and Hodges.

I reckon it's going to come down to 'politics' though. As in the N.S.W. selectors will want Stewart and QLD selectors will obviously want Hunt.

Hunt FTW!!! icon_smile

I would think Hunt is the favourite given he was the incumbent from 2006 and the ANZAC Test last year, and only missed the end of season test due to injury. Ditto Justin Hodges, Darren Lockyer and Johnathon Thurston.

I don't think Stewart has done enough to deserve the spot ahead of Hunt.

The only other genuine contender I can think of is Billy Slater. Premiership winner, shown good form already this season. Matt Bowen would always be a smokey, but he's just always out of favour due to his lack of size.

Who else is there? Brett Hodgson? See Bowen...too small. Minichiello? I'd say he's a chance for NSW if he stays fit and in form, but no chance for Aussie selection.

I think Hunt deserves the spot... but call me paranoid if you like, i worry that as often happens a NSW player (Stewart) will get the spot

Coxy said:
I would think Hunt is the favourite given he was the incumbent from 2006 and the ANZAC Test last year, and only missed the end of season test due to injury. Ditto Justin Hodges, Darren Lockyer and Johnathon Thurston.

I don't think Stewart has done enough to deserve the spot ahead of Hunt.

The only other genuine contender I can think of is Billy Slater. Premiership winner, shown good form already this season. Matt Bowen would always be a smokey, but he's just always out of favour due to his lack of size.

Who else is there? Brett Hodgson? See Bowen...too small. Minichiello? I'd say he's a chance for NSW if he stays fit and in form, but no chance for Aussie selection.

I sincerely hope you are right Coxy.

I'm just a tad worried that the selectors will succumb to media pressure and what not and select Stewart.

Hunt is ten times the player though.

IMO Bowen is hands-down the best fullback in the comp (with or without Thurston at half), but if I wanted someone catching a bomb for my life, it'd be Hunt. All 3 top Qld fullbacks (Hunt, Bowen and Slater) are more deserving than Stewart, good as he is.

Yeah, but Stewart never thought he'd play at this level because he had diabetes *Cue the violins* We should all feel proud of his achievements and give him a sympathy jersey.

Because as we know, there's never been another international with diabetes.

*cough* Renouf *cough*

Course they should pick Hunt, for the reasons you've all outlined above.

But still, one less Bronco in a rep team wouldn't be a bad thing for the club... eusa_think

I definatley think that Bowen is the best fullback in the NRL. I can't believe the selectors won't even give him a chance to prove if he is too small (granted they did a few years ago, but he has taken his game to a new level since then). Barring Bowen, I think Hunt deserves it. Hes never let anyone done in a rep jersey!

Hunt is made for rep football. I'm sure he'd be the first to admit there are more explosive fullbacks out there, but this guy has had maybe 3 bad games in his career - even playing as a 17yo. All the others have had many a shocker.

Slater's, Bowen's or Stewart's speed might be worth a try a game, but I would say Hunt's combination with Lockyer would also be worth a try a game, so I don't even think we lose much attacking power with Hunt in the team.

Selectors tend to go safety first, so I think Hunt will be there.

Hunt or Bowen. Easilly the two best fullbacks in Australia.

Stewart should stay as far away from it as possible. He is the most overrated player ever.

Play Hunt at 1 and Slater at 2 or 5 if form warrants selection for both aust and qld. we all remember what he can do off the wing for qld.

It's a good dilemma Queensland find themselves in. So much strength in the outside backs:

Bowen
Hunt
Slater
Inglis
Folau
Hodges
Tate
Boyd....

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

What state would William Zillman play for if he was ever selected?

For QLD I would go with;

1. Hunt
2. Slater/Tate
3. Hodges
4. Inglis
5. Folau
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston/Prince (pending form)
9. Smith

That is hot.

Hunt is number 1 in my books. Hodges is a better fullback then Stewart, he is nothing but a hack who can run.

mal said:
For QLD I would go with;

1. Hunt
2. Slater/Tate
3. Hodges
4. Inglis
5. Folau
6. Lockyer
9. Smith

That is hot.

Not bad at all. I'd go Slater over Tate and one of Thurston or Prince on the bench (Smith's an eighty minute player, we don't need a hooker-based utility there).

Can you just imagine it!

1. Hunt
2. Slater
3. Hodges
4. Folau
5. Inglis
6. Lockyer
7. Prince
9. Smith
17. Thurston

*salivates*

mick! said:
mal said:
For QLD I would go with;

1. Hunt
2. Slater/Tate
3. Hodges
4. Inglis
5. Folau
6. Lockyer
9. Smith

That is hot.

Not bad at all. I'd go Slater over Tate and one of Thurston or Prince on the bench (Smith's an eighty minute player, we don't need a hooker-based utility there).

Can you just imagine it!

1. Hunt
2. Slater
3. Hodges
4. Folau
5. Inglis
6. Lockyer
7. Prince
9. Smith
17. Thurston

*salivates*

Or maybe even Locky on the bench. But I just can't go past Bowen for the bench spot this year, 10 man interchange is going to have even bigger effect on origin.. Bowen would run rings!

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Fozz
  • Jazza
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Culhwch
  • theshed
  • cento
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Bongo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Dash
  • Battler
  • Mighty Bronx
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.