OFFICIAL Tevita Pangai is not our problem anymore

Developing:

At this stage it looks like he's seeing out 2021 and joining the Dogs next year, with Brisbane releasing him from his 2022 contract. If that's the case, the club won't need to subsidize the deal.

The club and the culture of the club/team, is going to be immeasurably better off without TPJ.
Would love to know your thoughts on if all the players that are apart of these cultural issues in the club are now gone ie Lodge & TPJ have been moved on, Milford soon to be and hopefully we do not re-sign Glenn.
Is there any other players that the club think are part of this cultural issue (happy for you not to name names) but would be good to know if you think there is no more rot left in this side?

Yep, loved the guy as a player, loved!!

Wish we just rolled him out as a marketing toy when needed…guy doesn’t have many runs on the board as part of the executive team

He should just stick to sending mining companies broke and trying to snake oil third world countries out of their resources in exchange for negative environmental impact

Would love to know your thoughts on if all the players that are apart of these cultural issues in the club are now gone ie Lodge & TPJ have been moved on, Milford soon to be and hopefully we do not re-sign Glenn.
Is there any other players that the club think are part of this cultural issue (happy for you not to name names) but would be good to know if you think there is no more rot left in this side?
Only a couple left now
The captain is one

The precedent was already set with Gasnier and SBW.

I agree though. We lose one of our top 3 players with no actual replacement (yet) and the premiership contenders get him because...sniff sniff 😭🥺 they will miss their best prop for a couple of weeks.. Cry me a river for ***** sake you Westie flannel-wearing *****. Come back to me when your best player gets a 4 week holiday for threatening to jab a female cop..

It's like Coates who - at the time - was one of our shining lights and an origin player, signing with the poor premiers who, sniff sniff, were losing their international winger. **** the Storm, **** the Panthers, **** the NRL.

It was done long before that, the Broncos got Darren Smith and Ben Ikin back for games in 2004 and 2005.

Ikin played from round nine in 2004 all the way through the finals and Smith played round 15 and 16. Then Smith turned up again 2005 in round seven until the finals.

I dont understand how some people are getting upset with the NRL or Broncos for doing this. Let him go, we dont need him and it benefits our cap. No brainer to clear the decks and move him on. Zero benefit of him sticking around, and why should fans care - he signed with the dogs.

If we are weeding out the idiots wonder what will happen if Haas or Staggs have another issue. Regardless of how good they are as players, you would think we would have to punt them if we are serious about our culture.

If we are weeding out the idiots wonder what will happen if Haas or Staggs have another issue. Regardless of how good they are as players, you would think we would have to punt them if we are serious about our culture.
Interesting to think about. Can a team win a premiership with all good guys? Or do you need a few loose cannons to get it done??

Every team has their share of flogs and loose units - its rugby league. But there needs to be some strong personalities that can balance it out, or at least want to win. There’s a tipping point that seperate the storm (Munny, Smith, NAS) from the tigers.

Critical mass I think Ikin called it.

Every team has their share of flogs and loose units - its rugby league. But there needs to be some strong personalities that can balance it out, or at least want to win. There’s a tipping point that seperate the storm (Munny, Smith, NAS) from the tigers.

If they weren't repeat offenders I don't think it would be much of an issue. Totally agree with your point though

Do you know what buzz word / catch phrase he used when describing our recent free fall? Terminal velocity?

I dont understand how some people are getting upset with the NRL or Broncos for doing this. Let him go, we dont need him and it benefits our cap. No brainer to clear the decks and move him on. Zero benefit of him sticking around, and why should fans care - he signed with the dogs.
Pangai has a history of pulling this shit.

2016: wangled a year off his Canberra contract to join the 2015 Grand Finalists because he wanted to train under Wayne Bennett.

2020: busted sniffing around Nick Politis, chairman of the 2019 Premiers.

2021: landed a temp gig with the 2021 premiership favourites.

2022: jumping into bed with Phil Gould, who'll do his darndest to get him into a Blues jersey.

The guy is a mercenary.

Absolutely loved TPJ when he was on fire. Such an entertaining figure and character, and a couple of years ago I was excited to see him as the enforcer and potential leader of the pack. He could destroy any team on his day. When we lost Fifita I wasn't concerned as I thought (and still do) TPJ was the better player.

However if I'm honest (bear with me and the analogy) TPJ reminds me of the really hot women that shows you interest but after a couple of dates only ever returns calls when they choose, but because they are so hot you persist. They then miss a dinner date, they don't show up at your house etc etc, and then you realise, you're not their main focus and they have a few other guys on the go. You either man up and let it go, and behave pathetically and keep chasing the thing that never delivers.

When I watch TPJ on his on game he performs freakishly, but one thing I've never really remember his doing is the hard yards game. There's no memories of him pulling up the sleeves and just getting dirty and tuff to win those games that require that. He can't be accused of being a "flat track bully" necessarily but he's definitely not a down in the trenches kind of player. I think that's what we need right now, and it's unfortunate that requires letting him go.

The other thing I don't recall is TPJ ever rallying those around him. He can definitely inspire with his plays, but he rarely pulls the team together and gives them a rev. He's not the captain, but he is one of the senior players in the pack. There's something not quite developed in him in that regard. He plays as an individual, not selfish per se, just very one out stuff.

To me he's a boy (a bloody big, strong and super skilled one) in a man's body. With that too comes the mentality of a boy. Children are often self focused and rarely focused on those around them. That's what I see in Tevita. It's a shame because he comes across as a likeable guy when interviewed. However interviews don't necessarily go to the way of showing who someone is. Look at most of our politicians for example. They're mostly payed off frauds, yet most buy their public personas.

Now that I have learned what this means for us by him going to Penrith, they should be looking to get rid of Milford while they're at it

That would give us at least an extra 200k for next season

Also, on NRL 360 when they were discussing the TPJ situation, did anyone notice Kent's response when Vonny said the rich stealing from the poor, and the poor Broncos fans? He said something like, 'well they're only barracking for a piece of cloth' pointing to the jersey on TPJ.
I was thinking, mate if we as fans didn't support the jersey / buy into the tribalism, or 'piece of cloth', the players wouldn't have a job. You Mr. Kent certainly wouldn't have a job. What a weak excuse for a so called League personality/journalist.
It’s a weird mindset, but he’s not alone. After the cows gf there were broncos fans in broncos jerseys (at the ground) genuinely happy that the cows won because they are a “qld club”. It seems like an exclusively Aus thing to make yourself feel like a winner regardless of the outcome. Imagine man city fans gloating about Man U winning the league because “at least a Manchester side won”.

There's a difference between messing up and being toxic around the club. Haas would no doubt set the standards at training, that's a guy you want for team culture. Staggs I have no idea but you don't get as fit as Haas without being an elite trainer. They could both be great learners, and always looking to improve even if they do have a history of doing dumb things away from football.

Not that I have any idea what TPJ/Lodge were like but I think it comes down to more than just off field indiscretions.

There's a difference between messing up and being toxic around the club. Haas would no doubt set the standards at training, that's a guy you want for team culture. Staggs I have no idea but you don't get as fit as Haas without being an elite trainer. They could both be great learners, and always looking to improve even if they do have a history of doing dumb things away from football.

Not that I have any idea what TPJ/Lodge were like but I think it comes down to more than just off field indiscretions.
Never really heard anything bad about Lodge or Pangai as trainers. I was more thinking can we tolerate more off field dramas from repeat offenders. It's a tricky position we are in right now in that regard

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • bb_gun
  • Foordy
  • Hurrijo
  • Skathen
  • broncsgoat
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Maddy
  • Wild Horse
  • cento
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • lynx000
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.