Tevita Pangai Jr. Discussion

I think the lack of support for his runs, when we were chasing points with time being a factor, needs to be addressed. I'm not saying that to excuse TPJ - he was bad today - but not every mistake is made by the guy with the ball or the guy missing the tackle. When you need points fast, and an offloading machine takes the ball up and nobody goes with him that is unforgivable. I like TPJ but if we don't support the offloads he can generate I don't see the value in retaining him because his ability to initiate second phase play is already baked into his price. It'd be like buying your grandmother a $3000 gaming laptop so she can use 'the skype' and search for recipes online.

Boyd shadowed the hooker all game, but where was he when TPJ was making a potential bust? Where was Milf? Support play, along with solid defence, is what the Broncos are supposed to be all about. It's gone to complete shit over the last few years.

His head is somewhere else. That first half was as bad as I've seen from him. Some of the errors and soft runs he took were diabolical.

This is one of the effects of signing a one year contract. There’s constant pressure to perform and wondering where you’ll be next.

1.Ponga
6.Milford
7.Dearden
9.Turpin

Yes please.

Watching Teddy play after Boyd is shocking. We'd be 12-18 points better off on average with a guy like Teddy, Ponga, or arguably Folau (pipe dream that I acknowledge probably won't happen because we're not a Sydney club) in the side.

Last edited:
Most of the game TPJ was pretty ordinary, especially the first half. However, his tackle on (whoever it was kicking) the last deserved some praise i thought. Instead he was penalised and dragged by Siebs immediately after it.

The stupid penalties he gave away and his obvious lack of commitment when taking the ball up had me cursing him. Last year though he was so much better.

I've not once questioned Siebs' methods as I know he is rebuilding and still a young coach himself, but he is obviously not getting the best out of some of our 'stars' at the moment.

He also has reached the stage where he has to show that he will not tolerate mediocrity and drop Darius. As a captain, his actions were quite simply embarrassing today. Too much self preservation and not enough putting the body on the line from the old timer.

This is one of the effects of signing a one year contract. There’s constant pressure to perform and wondering where you’ll be next.

It’s no problem for Oates. I just think we aren’t going to get there with this guy. It’s not a contact issue for him IMO

It’s no problem for Oates. I just think we aren’t going to get there with this guy. It’s not a contact issue for him IMO

Might be a classic case of Dave Taylor syndrome perhaps

TPJ is a must for me.

Mainly because I think we will get value from him in a couple of years time. He reminds me a lot like Taumalolo. It took Taumalolo years to reach the level he is currently at.

When that happens, he'll be a massive addition to this side. As long as he isn't chewing up too much of the cap which by the sounds of it, money isn't the focus for him so I don't imagine he will be demanding the ridiculous amount being mentioned by the media.

He's done himself no favours with the one year shit. Going backwards at an alarming rate. Needs to see some Qcup.

Problem is if we let TPJ go, I get this horrible feeling he will become the Taumalolo that we have been all waiting for. The media will then have yet another field day.
I think there is still time. He is young, he just needs to work on his consistency and disciple. He did have a couple of good runs this arvo.
I think he and Lodge are pretty vital for this pack moving forward.

TPJ is a must for me.

Mainly because I think we will get value from him in a couple of years time. He reminds me a lot like Taumalolo. It took Taumalolo years to reach the level he is currently at.

When that happens, he'll be a massive addition to this side. As long as he isn't chewing up too much of the cap which by the sounds of it, money isn't the focus for him so I don't imagine he will be demanding the ridiculous amount being mentioned by the media.
Does he really have that maturity about him though ?

I can't recall what Taumalolo was like when he was younger, but TPJ just seems to be a bit too scatterbrain for me at the moment.

i also thought he was poor today ... but when you look at the stats he wasn't as bad as i thought ...

18 runs for 163m plus 26 tackles

but he combines the positive with heaps of negative... i.e. making 3 errors and giving away 2 penalties.

I personally think that Lodge should be the priority forward signing, and if we need to use some of the TPJ money to get him over the line then so be it

Does he really have that maturity about him though ?

I can't recall what Taumalolo was like when he was younger, but TPJ just seems to be a bit too scatterbrain for me at the moment.

I think he is probably lacking a bit of maturity at the moment. That's why I think in a couple of years when he gets a bit more mature, we'll see a whole different type of player.

JT was similar.

He isn’t fit
Can’t even last 20 minutes at the moment
Needs to work on fitness big time at the moment

I think he is probably lacking a bit of maturity at the moment. That's why I think in a couple of years when he gets a bit more mature, we'll see a whole different type of player.

JT was similar.

JT didn't get the monster contract until he was consistently destroying opposition teams ... if it is a money decision we shouldn't get into a bidding war for him, he isn't worth that YET

TPJ has honestly had one good game this year (vs Cowboys). Has been missing since then. Very, very overrated player. Needs to pull his finger out.

TPJ has honestly had one good game this year (vs Cowboys). Has been missing since then. Very, very overrated player. Needs to pull his finger out.
He was our best forward today and looked dangerous with ball in hand. He may attempt a few things that don't quite come off but that's how he rolls. Very talented player and will only get better in the future whether that's in the Qld capital or elsewhere.

TPJ is a must for me.

Taumalolo was much more reserved in his earlier years, and spent that time working on consistency and doing the little things right. TPJ wants to be a star now, I’m just not sure whether it’s the 1 year deals pressuring him to perform, or if he is just impatient and wants to be a hero now.

He was rotten in the first half, but I thought he was a lot better in the second half. His runs were stronger and you can tell he was instructed to run first, get between defenders, earn a fast PTB, and if a half break or offload presented, only pull the trigger if it’s safe.

He needs more games like his second half, which I think Seibold has identified.

My issue with TPJ is he rarely pulls out anything like his very best regularly.

Taumalolo, who he is compared to was the same age as TPJ ( 23 ) when he earned his 10 year contract in 2017. He really started kicking on in 2015, at 21 years old, then won joint Dally M player of the year at 22. TPJ is miles behind Taumalolo in his development.

Active Now

• Tim K
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncorob
  • Bish
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Pablo
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Tmac
  • Waynesaurus
  • mieko
  • lynx000
  • BroncosAlways
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.