NEWS Tevita Pangai Junior speaks about the dangers of spending too much time on Social Media - "I was putting on a fake image"

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
Pangai off social media after 'averaging 10 to 12 hours' daily on phone

Broncos powerhouse Tevita Pangai jnr is off all social media and has even removed Safari from his phone after he was spending up to 12 hours a day of screen time on his device last year. Pangai was reading everything that was written about him on the internet and was an active user of Twitter but he said it robbed him of quality time and had a detrimental impact on his life, to the extent where he was conveying what he called "a fake image". Now he uses his phone for texting and contacting family and friends and said he was a lot better off for it

"Praise the Lord… I have come off it. I am off all social media and off the internet. I took Safari off my phone as well and it has made my life a lot better," Pangai told NRL.com. "I think that last year I was putting forth a fake image on social media but not only that it was robbing me of valuable time. "I had my screen time come up every Sunday and I was averaging 10 to 12 hours every day on my phone purely on social media or on the phone. "I have gone old school and now it has dropped to two hours, and they are doing things that are worthy." The 23-year-old said he now wanted to set an example for other people of his generation and has a reason close to home for doing so. "I have got my little brother Jermaine living with me now so I am a bit of a guardian to him and I want to be a good role model, and I just don't think any social media sites are good for people our ages. It robs them of time where they could be outdoors doing something useful with their time," he said. "It is a big problem for a lot of young people of our generation in Australia. I think the first thing they do when they wake up is jump on social media or the internet."

Pangai is off-contract and speculation about his next move has dominated media discussion. After his stunning man-of-the-match performance in the round two clash with the Cowboys he was talked up as a $1 million per season forward and a shoe-in for the NSW Origin side. Since then he has been tagged an inconsistent performer, but this year he only finds out "Pangai news" second hand. "I get text messages about it or my family might tell me about it, but I don't see it," he grinned. After signing a one-year extension with the Broncos last year, Pangai said he had a big decision to make about his future. "I am not sure what I want to do next year," he said. "I have a lot of family down south but my decision will not be about money. It will purely be about where I can play my best footy."

As for his own form, Pangai conceded he was not up to scratch in the 38-6 loss to the Rabbitohs last week and was keen for a more involved showing against Manly at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night. "I feel like I have done my job in a few games but I was off the pace against Souths last week. That was a game for me to test where I was at but I was off the money, as we were as a team," he said. "I need to compete better, get around the ball and get my hands on the footy more. I think I only had eight touches last week so I feel like I need to get more involved. "I feel like the team does a lot better when I bring my competitiveness and what I can do with the ball." The Tongan international will play for NSW in State of Origin football this year if selected but said that was the last thing he should be talking about given his start to the year. "I don't think Origin talk should really be a subject for me. We are coming off six [losses] and two [wins] and I have just come back from suspension," he said. "It has been an up and down start for me, and the team."

Last edited:
“I took Safari off my phone as well and it has made my life a lot better,"
You can’t even take Safari of your phone lol

Last edited:
“I took Safari off my phone as well and it has made my life a lot better,"
You can’t even take Safari of your phone lol

You can restrict it so you can’t use it though

Sounds like he is out of there next year too, reading between the lines about not knowing what he wants to and having family down south. I'm not even that sad if it happens. Of course, he will become an absolute superstar for the Roosters but it is what it is.

So for next year:

1. (Insert name here)
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. (Insert name here)
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Joffa
9. (Insert name here)
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. (Insert name here)
15. Flegler
16. (Insert name here)
17. Glenn

I'd say this is what the nucleus looks like for next year. This is very similar to what the Roosters went through a few years back. Then they bought in SBW, Jennings and Keary (I think) and one or two others and became premiership winners. This is what Siebs looks to be trying to emulate, he just needs to nail the recruitment options. I have no idea who they will be but this is what I would be going with:

1. Brimson (until Ponga is actually gettable)
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. Rapana
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Graham (c)
9. Grant
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Paix/T.Boyd
15. Joffa
16. Flegler
17. Glenn

And yes, that team is not that great but it brings in some needed experience and this is ASSUMING all of TPJ, Lodge and Roberts want to go to Sydney and Boyd and Macca are retired or moved on. I think this side is reasonable in terms of how much salary cap will be available given how much money is likely to be tied up still in Boyd, Macca and Roberts.

Feel free to tell me how bad this side looks and how it will win the wooden spoon, etc.

Yeah, hus quotes sound like he's looking to leave. Roosters will sign him for tree fiddy.

Hasn’t helped his form. Maybe he needs to get back on it

Well he can **** off too if he ‘doesn’t know what he wants to do’. I would rather watch a bunch of park footy players that get beaten by 50 each week but try their guts out and hae some pride in the jersey over these overpaid, self-entitled, ungrateful princesses.

It’s not the interviews I’m talking about. It’s the social media posts. I’ve met many people like him. He’s very careful about his words and seems like he’s always trying to say the right things. We will see

TPJ does a lot of talking, so far not a lot of doing. I want him to be great and I’m sure he will be. Just do less talking about all the work you apparently put in and let your footy do the talking

Copped a fair bit of shit for commenting on his fake image a while back. Not often that something someone says on here is actually admitted to by the person they're talking about.

Sounds like he is out of there next year too, reading between the lines about not knowing what he wants to and having family down south. I'm not even that sad if it happens. Of course, he will become an absolute superstar for the Roosters but it is what it is.

So for next year:

1. (Insert name here)
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. (Insert name here)
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Joffa
9. (Insert name here)
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. (Insert name here)
15. Flegler
16. (Insert name here)
17. Glenn

I'd say this is what the nucleus looks like for next year. This is very similar to what the Roosters went through a few years back. Then they bought in SBW, Jennings and Keary (I think) and one or two others and became premiership winners. This is what Siebs looks to be trying to emulate, he just needs to nail the recruitment options. I have no idea who they will be but this is what I would be going with:

2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. Rapana
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Graham (c)
9. Grant
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Paix/T.Boyd
15. Joffa
16. Flegler
17. Glenn

And yes, that team is not that great but it brings in some needed experience and this is ASSUMING all of TPJ, Lodge and Roberts want to go to Sydney and Boyd and Macca are retired or moved on. I think this side is reasonable in terms of how much salary cap will be available given how much money is likely to be tied up still in Boyd, Macca and Roberts.

Feel free to tell me how bad this side looks and how it will win the wooden spoon, etc.

Graham is absolutely cooked, like worse than Thaiday when most of this board was calling for him to retire. Brimson would be an amazing pick up, the Titties are stupid not starting him at the back. Rapana I don't think is worth the money, just play Kennar or someone on the wing.

12 hours a day screen time. Holy hell!!!
I’m annoyed at my time wasting if I get 2 hours a day WITH social media/bhq etc. wtf.

So for next year:

1. (Insert name here)
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. (Insert name here)
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Joffa
9. (Insert name here)
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. (Insert name here)
15. Flegler
16. (Insert name here)
17. Glenn

2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. Rapana
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Graham (c)
9. Grant
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan

14. Paix/T.Boyd
15. Joffa
16. Flegler
17. Glenn

The (Insert name here) family must be big and boy they’ve got some RL pedigree - 5 brothers in one NRL team!

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.