Thaiday still a chance for World Cup

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
AUSTRALIAN coach Mal Meninga has tipped Broncos veteran Sam Thaiday to bounce back from a disappointing month, claiming the underfire forward is in contention for the World Cup.

Thaiday was last month dumped from the Queensland team for Origin II and III before it was revealed over the weekend that Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett will not offer the 32-year-old a contract beyond next season.

But Meninga will stand by Thaiday if his form warrants selection come October.

The Kangaroos enforcer played in the ANZAC Test in May and Meninga says he deserves every chance to retain that position.

“He’s the incumbent,” Meninga said. “If he’s playing really good footy for the Broncos and they go really deep in the finals and he’s instrumental in all that, then he’s always in the picture.

“I’m a fan of Sam’s ... he could probably play a bit better but I guess that what’s Wayne is trying to extract out of him.”

Meninga knows how resilient Thaiday is and expects him to prove that over the coming months.

While there is no doubt it has been a disappointing time for the Brisbane star, Meninga is sure he will fight his way back.

“Sam’s a proud guy so knowing him and how he perceives himself, he will want to play to the best of his ability,” he said.

“He always has (bounced back). I wouldn’t be writing him off.”

It is unclear at this stage whether Thaiday will play on after his Broncos contract ends next season.

Some of the closest options for him would be the Titans and Cowboys, with Gold Coast coach Neil Henry admitting yesterday that he thinks Thaiday’s career is far from over.

“He’s certainly a player you’d look at because he’s a classy player,” Henry said. “I think he can play another couple of years.”

Cowboys coach Paul Green however was more reluctant to talk about Thaiday’s future, saying it was too hard to comment given the uncertainty over the salary cap.

Thaiday will play off the bench in Thursday night’s clash against the Bulldogs, with the return of Origin stars Matt Gillett and Josh McGuire pushing him back to the interchange.

Jaydn Su’A and Jai Arrow will drop out of the side to accommodate the duo.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/2bd570496069a15f7d15027b351576b0

His best role has been getting picked as the fun guy you have around the players to keep the morale high. Don't need to play him in your 17 though.

Active Now

• john1420
  • Santa
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • kman
  • johnny plath
  • Big Del
  • Mr Fourex
  • Culhwch
  • Payneinthehaas
  • Financeguy
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Dexter
  • IceWorks
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.