Thank You Cyril

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Russo has touched on this in the awards thread, but the great Cyril Connell deserve his own thread.

Cyril, you are a legend and much of this club's success is owed to you. On top of being a legendary player scout, I can say for sure that I will never meet a nicer bloke in all my life.

I did work experience at the Broncos in 2001, and did a fair bit with Cyril while I was there. I've worked a few jobs since and nobody has been more welcoming than Cyril was to me for that week. And to top it all off, he gave me a pair of footy boots.

I hope that whoever takes over the reigns as the Broncos' player scout continues to search long and hard for players from South-East and Central Queensland.

For those a bit young to understand what this man has done for the club, I'll put it simple. Without Cyril Connell, there's a fair chance that Shane Webcke, Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva, Tonie Carroll, Karmichael Hunt, Shaun Berrigan, Wendell Sailor, Lote Tuqiri and Brent Tate would never have pulled on a Broncos jersey.

Enjoy retirement Cyril, and thanks [eusa_clap.gi

Thought the same Jeb, just wasn't sure if it was true or not as heard 2nd hand, agree he deserves his own thank-you thread as similar to WB without what he has done for our club we wouldn't be where or what we are today.

I will copy below my thoughts on Cyril from the other thread.

If so then congratulations to a true legend of the Broncos club, the number of players Cyril has found and help nurture into great Broncos, Qld and Australian players are too many to list. Like WB he helped makes these boys into men and we owe him a huge debt of gratitude for what he has done.

Well done Cyril, thank-you from all of us fans and enjoy your retirement, your shoes will be big ones to fill [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi

whaaaaat? noooooo!!!! oh well he had to retire sometime. he is a dead set legend. The greatest scout of all time in any sport that ive ever seen. He saw things in players that others didnt (even wayne bennett), and those same players went on to be superstars. Petero Civoniceva comes to mind in that repsect.

good onya cyril, the broncos, most definetly, arent the same without you.

Everyone else will thank Cyril for his work with the Broncos in terms of recruitment etc. My thank you is more personal. Thanks for looking after me when I was placed at the Broncos for a week of work experience back in high school. Cyril was great, showing me around the club, introducing me to the players, letting me be involved in coaching clinics etc.

It probably did a lot to solidify my love for the Broncos at a young age.

He took a similar attitude to all the kids he recruited and put on scholarship, and that's irreplaceable.

Surprised he's lasted this long!

Can't speak highly enough of his contribution to the club. Being a public figure, Wayne will naturally recieve the accolades for making the club what it is today, but if there's any one name you can throw up alongside Bennett, surely its Connell.

A great clubman. Much respect.

Broncos Legend without doubt, What surprises me is why has this hardly even get a mention?

broncospwn said:
Broncos Legend without doubt, What surprises me is why has this hardly even get a mention?

Obviously don't know the man that well broncospwn, man of few words that likes to stay well in the background so that there is little talk is no surprise, the exact reason why we have raised it here on the boards

Yep, he's always been a man of few words. Plus he's been very ill the last couple of years.

Might have to be one of the best talent scouts in history given the Broncos track record of producing Origin and International players.

As much a part of the Broncos as WB, no doubt about it at all IMO. I got to meet the man out at a Qld Cup game one day quite a few years ago now when I was with my dad and pop... he was extremely nice and softly spoken, didn't mind having a chat at all.

I hope Cyril has a VERY long and happy retirement. One of the best men in RL, without a doubt. The sport will be worse off without him involved.

Thanks Cyril, what a champ and what a legacy he has left. All the best to him and his family.

Active Now

• Evander
  • Lurker
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.