The ‘Things Change Bro’ Mole Fail: Brisbane Broncos trying to offload former Test forward Alex Glenn

NImitz

NImitz

BRL Player
Sep 8, 2016
The Broncos are attempting to sell off Kiwi international back-rower Alex Glenn to a rival club or England - before June 30.
At least two clubs have shown interest in Glenn, who is one of the Broncos’ longest serving players with 11 seasons under his belt.
Glenn scored a hat-trick during the trials and has featured in both the Broncos’ games this season but the club believes they have more dynamic young forwards coming through the ranks.
Brisbane have some of the game’s most exciting big men in Joe Ofahengaue, Matt Lodge, Tevita Pangai Jnr, David Fifita and Thomas Flegler.
They believe Glenn, aged 30, would be better suited elsewhere and have put out the word to rival clubs that he is available.

he's off contract end of year anyway so it doesn't really matter.

I'm a big fan of Glenn's but even I think the time may have come. Wouldn't mind him sticking around as a mentor and role model to the younger blokes, but wouldn't begrudge him an opportunity elsewhere either.

Fucking why? Even if he isn't in the long term plans, we have to try to keep SOME experienced players, at least for this year.

I hate that so many fans don't rate him. He shows up week in week out, does his job, and rarely ***** it up. He's exactly the sort of level head you need in your team. He should be the captain.

I think he should stay this year, and offer him a 1 year deal next year IF he performs well this year or a 2 year base rate deal if he's desperate. He does need to make way for the younger and more talented players coming through but I don't understand the rush, particularly for this year. You need a few experienced guys in the pack, round 1 and last year showed that. If he were to take a cheap 2 year deal we could play him off the bench or a casual fill in.

Soooo we’re looking to offload him but play him for 80 min ahead of his replacement?

Or

We’re trying to lull/trick another team into a false sense of hope or belief that they’ll be getting a bargain test and nrl starting back rower who starts ahead of any of our jnrs that we just can’t keep/afford/carry ???

Fucking why? Even if he isn't in the long term plans, we have to try to keep SOME experienced players, at least for this year.
I don't really see what difference it makes keeping him till the end of the year, if we know we're not going to re-sign him then the money is still available to put towards locking down some of the younger guys longterm.

I don't really see what difference it makes keeping him till the end of the year, if we know we're not going to re-sign him then the money is still available to put towards locking down some of the younger guys longterm.

The difference is we could still play him this year vs not being able to. I don't see why it would impact re-signings.

The difference is we could still play him this year vs not being able to. I don't see why it would impact re-signings.

Offloading him early would free up some cap space this year, allowing us to front-end some of the other players' contracts.

If we are trying to offload him to give someone else his spot we would have just given them his spot and he would be on the bench or in the reserves.

This is the mole putting 2 and 2 together based on all our young forwards and filling some of his useless column.

nah i meant i don't see what difference it makes offloading him midseason or at the end of the season, the money is still there.

Didn't the Mole state some time ago that Glenn and Kahu would be Titans in 2019? I can't believe this guy even rates a mention on a forum such as this.

Keep Glenn, I'd be all for re-signing him for another 2 years as well even if that means he might have to play some reserves in future. He's a quality player and if he's willing to take a pay cut I'd love for him to stay.

Now that being said if some club is willing to pay him a lot more he should go for it for his own sake.

It would be really really shitty of the club to offload a club stalwart mid season. This is a guy who's captained our club he should get a proper send off. I don't believe it.

I can see the reasoning for it, it's the same deal as Kahu, except Glenn demands more $ and was probably harder to find a home for. I love Lexi, he's probably my favourite Bronco off the field and has been super reliable his whole career. It absolutely sucks, but we've got so many good young forwards coming through that it'd be careless not to explore the option of shipping him off early. At this rate once everyone is healthy we'll be forced to play someone like Flegler, Haas or Su'A in QCUP. Personally, I would much rather all of them playing for the Broncos and getting valuable repetitions against the highest quality opposition, it will prove beneficial moving forward, although not immediately.

I can see the reasoning for it, it's the same deal as Kahu, except Glenn demands more $ and was probably harder to find a home for. I love Lexi, he's probably my favourite Bronco off the field and has been super reliable his whole career. It absolutely sucks, but we've got so many good young forwards coming through that it'd be careless not to explore the option of shipping him off early. At this rate once everyone is healthy we'll be forced to play someone like Flegler, Haas or Su'A in QCUP. Personally, I would much rather all of them playing for the Broncos and getting valuable repetitions against the highest quality opposition, it will prove beneficial moving forward, although not immediately.

Solution is easy there. Sua to Q Cup, Glenn in the team.

Active Now

• jd87
  • Johnny92
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fitzy
  • Stix
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Morkel
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • big k
  • RolledOates
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.