The Axe falls on the Western Force

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
The ARU announced a little while ago that the Western Force are being culled from Super Rugby. They're challenging the decision legally obviously but I doubt they'll get far with that. So for all intents and purposes, Rugby Union in WA is flatlining.

For the NRL, frankly it's now or never. A huge Rugby vacuum is about to open on the West Coast, and Rugby League is perfectly positioned to fill it all. They will have nib stadium all to themselves. They'll have advertising and sponsorship all to themselves. They'll have talent pools all to themselves. It's like tripping over a gold seam and there's a pickaxe that just happens to be lying there.

That being the case, hope we have a chat to Curtis Rona. Solid player.

Must go for 2019. Regardless of TV deal. Just don't increase the salary cap to equivalent amounts of extra club. Players can't complain as overall salary pool the same and allow more club assisted TPAs to sweeten the deal for players. Aim 18th team 2 years after to have product ready for next TV deal with a proven extra timeslot (likely Sunday evening with Perth).

Still be nice to relocate Souths or Easts but not going to happen.

But 18 months to sort a great move to nationalise the game is nowhere near enough. NRL needs that long to have a committee to decide if they need a committee for this issue.

The NRL's reaction will simply be two things:

1. Who are the Western Force, do they play out of Wollongong?

2. Why was Trevor Gillmeister falling on them?

Moree Boomerangs would be the better choice, the South Sydney Rabbitohs of the bush.

Must go for 2019. Regardless of TV deal. Just don't increase the salary cap to equivalent amounts of extra club. Players can't complain as overall salary pool the same and allow more club assisted TPAs to sweeten the deal for players. Aim 18th team 2 years after to have product ready for next TV deal with a proven extra timeslot (likely Sunday evening with Perth).

Still be nice to relocate Souths or Easts but not going to happen.

But 18 months to sort a great move to nationalise the game is nowhere near enough. NRL needs that long to have a committee to decide if they need a committee for this issue.

Seriously, what?

Bring in a new team and everyone takes a pay cut?

You can not be serious

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncosgirl
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.