The best there ever was

I am one lucky bastard because I witnessed most of those moments live. This little compilation got a tear in my eye and this quote...

Darren Lockyer, you are a genius, absolute genius! In fact, you might be... the Football God!

says it all.

No shame there. I got emotional too.

If he isn't the next immortal, the game needs to scrap the entire concept because it will have become worthless.

Some quotes that really sum up the player that Lockyer was.

"When you need the big play, on the biggest stage at the crucial time; invariably it's Lockyer who has come up with it."

--- Peter Sterling

"Darren Lockyer, you are a genius, absolute genius! In fact, you might be... the Football God!"

--- Phil Gould

"This freak of a man, Darren Lockyer, has left his mark on yet another block buster

--- Ray Warren

Something that really defines the courage and dedication that Lockyer showed throughout his entire career, happened in his final match.

Beale had just collided with Lockyer, while catching a bomb. but with the game in the balance, Lockyer, instead of going off, pushes past the trainers and gets back into the game ... and as they say, the rest is history. he makes his final play for his beloved Brisbane Broncos, a winner. despite having a fractured cheekbone, he kicks the field goal that wins the game for us and keeps our season alive.

Darren Lockyer is the definition of LEGEND

---
Foordy :smile:

Last edited:
what an absolute champion, watching his career play out is one of the great highlights of my life and if i have my way my future son will be named locky as a tribute to my childhood hero, forget the greatest bronco of all time in my opinion this man is the greatest player of all time, 355 games and still the most important player on the field all the way to the end, his consistency all the way through to his last year was something to marvel at, with all the new styles and skillsets coming through ala benji marshall, locky was a genius through maticulous planning and game management, a near perfect kicking and passing game which all comes down to hard work and perseverence, always well known for being at the head of the pack during pre seasons and constently trying to improve himself.

while johnathon thurston was getting man of the matches by pulling out big plays like linebreaks in origin games locky was pinning the blues in their in goal for sets on end starving them of the ball, it's no suprise since he retired our series wins have been alot closer then finally a loss last year, i could sit here and talk locky up all day but it would be pages so ill leave it with this.

with all the skills that our current halves in hunt and milford have, if they end up with half the brains and game management skills that locky possessed ( which is why i hope he is our coach one day ), then we are in for premierships very soon.

All I'll say is this: If Darren lockyer isn't an Immortal, there will never be another.

13719-schleich-domestic-goat-p.jpg

If the oldies weren't so blinded by nostalgia they would see that Lockyer was better than Wally Lewis was. No contest.

If the oldies weren't so blinded by nostalgia they would see that Lockyer was better than Wally Lewis was. No contest.

HA HA HAARRR
Who better to judge than the people who were old enough to have seen them both ?? HMMMMM ?Surely you're not stupid enough to think that having seen only one of them you would have a better understanding ! Only an idiot would think that ! It's not nostalgia , it's a little thing called wisdom, you'll get some one day if you are fortunate enough to become an oldie. There's a reason why there is a statue of Wally outside Langcorp Park.....Having seen them both I'd rate them as equal giants of the game

Last edited by a moderator:

HA HA HAARRR
Who better to judge than the people who were old enough to have seen them both ?? HMMMMM ?Surely you're not stupid enough to think that having seen only one of them you would have a better understanding ! Only an idiot would think that ! It's not nostalgia , it's a little thing called wisdom, you'll get some one day if you are fortunate enough to become an oldie. There's a reason why there is a statue of Wally outside Langcorp Park.....Having seen them both I'd rate them as equal giants of the game

The **** is wrong with you? Typing in that font.....hurt my fucking eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to have angered the geriatrics... Sorry if you don't like my opinion. It was just Banter.

Lockyer is a far greater 'Broncos' player than what Wally Lewis is. Wally was quite divisive and left the club on bad terms and the Broncos became a lot better after he left. Lockyer on the other hand pretty much was the Broncos for years and achieved so much more in a Broncos jersey then what Wally did.

Folks, this is a Lockyer thread. If you want to make comparisons by all means make a new thread but let's just focus on one of the greatest players in our own life-times.

The one aspect I loved about Locky was his ability to step up in the big moments. Like all players, Lockyer could be generally quiet but when the Broncos needed a boost or the game got into a bind, Lockyer would step up and would just find a way to get the boys over the line.

Watching the Broncos in 2001-2005 is basically watching the Lockyer show.

In 2006 he matured and learned how to control a game better, but watching Locky in the clutch in those years was just amazing.

Folks, this is a Lockyer thread. If you want to make comparisons by all means make a new thread but let's just focus on one of the greatest players in our own life-times.

Corey started it ....

Snitches get stitches, Fourex.

For the record, what Corey said was treason and if I had my way he'd be forced to don a Greg Bird avatar for the rest of the Origin series.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • thenry
  • Lozza
  • Allo
  • Jazza
  • Broncorob
  • john1420
  • Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Aldo
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.