The BHQ Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by ningnangnong, Sep 10, 2013.

Check your airbags again. Do it. Very important.

But. You know what's even more important. BATHURST WEEKEND!

1. ningnangnong

ningnangnong HACK THE PLANET!!!

The last couple of weeks on my way to work of a morning, I keep seeing this old fella driving a Daihatsu ute.

I always look on in astonishment, because I don't think I've ever seen one before. And the thing is in absolutely **** mint condition. Deadset looks like it just rolled out of the dealership.

I kept meaning to look it up, and I've only just remembered to do so tonight. The Daihatsu Rocky, ladies and gentlemen:

Capture.PNG
    Except it's in even better condition than the above one.

Must be one of the only ones in Australia. An absolute relic.

Edit: Maybe not, looks like there's a few on Gumtree. None as good as this one I've seen though.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. Well I learned that thing existed today. "We want a 70 series Landcruiser, but smaller".

ningnangnong likes this.
    IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0378.JPG IMG_0377.JPG

1952 FX Holden which has been done up to to be a replica of Rock N Roll George's original (which is in a museum) they had at the Mt Gravatt cemetery open day. Thought some of you petrol heads would get a kick out of it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Porthoz, Nashy, Foordy and 1 other person like this.
  3. ningnangnong

Thanks for posting @Fozz@Fozz. Beautiful ride - absolutely love that colour!

Would look shit on today's cars, but on those classic lines, it's perfect.

4. Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup NRL Player

That's impressive, I remember Rock n roll George's car.

5. ningnangnong

Credit to the lads at my cousin's panel beating shop in Brissie.

Have done an exemplary job on the old man's MGA. Wasn't just a simple respray, apparently a lot of 'bog' and shit that had to be sorted. Old man is absolutely stoked with it though.

IMG_20181019_112539.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Porthoz and Morkel like this.
  6. Faaark mate, that's going to look nice.

Porthoz and ningnangnong like this.
  7. ningnangnong

Civic cracked 340,000 today! :O

When is this thing gonna kick the bucket!

Nashy likes this.
  8. Car wouldn't start first time twice today.

Yesterday I had an issue where I went to take off, and the car was acting like I put the foot to the floor because the revs just increased significantly and kept rising before eventually stopping. Even when I released the accelerator, it kept rising.

I'm not sure if those two issues are related.. But considering how close they are together, I'm guessing it is.

9. Is it a cable driven throttle or electronic?

Edit. Either way, check throttle position sensor.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  10. ningnangnong

SF, can you just like buy a Corolla or Camry or something. You have had more car troubles in last few months than I've had in my 10 years with a licence!

11. I'm pretty sure it's cable. It's the Laser that's having the problem.

12. Ew.

This is the only problem I've had with my car in a long time. The other problems were the Falcon which isn't mine.

13. Ew? Come on mate, rocks in glass houses or something. Anyway.

What you describe could be a few things, but the most common will be the TPS. If it's cable driven, check the cable isn't getting stuck and holding on.

If it's an electric throttle, TPS is still the number one, but there will also be the Accelerator Position Sensor. They're usually not able to be changed without a full replacement of the pedal.

I'm way too lazy to looks back, but I'm pretty sure you were in an 04 Laser 1.6L? Which I believe should be cable driven.

14. Honda Accord 09 or something. Anyway, sometimes when I start it, and it's cold (only happens in the mornings, or if the car hasn't been on in a while) it will take a few cranks before it actually kicks in. It always turns on first time, but sometimes it almost feels like it might not crank, but it's random. It might go a week starting perfectly first crank, and then randomly take 3 cranks before the engine kicks.

Shitty starter motor? Weak battery?

15. First I need to determine if you are using the correct word. Crank means the engine is actually turning over and attempting to start, not just turning the key. When you turn the key, does the engine crank?

16. Yeah that's exactly what I mean, I turn the key it does the crank noise, sometimes it repeats that cranking noise 3-4 times before actually turning over and the engine starting. Super hard to show a mechanic though, because if I drive it there, it won't do it again, it'll be warm. It might have to be off for a day or two before doing it again.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  17. Battery test first. Has it had spark plugs recently? Tell your bro to clean the MAF, and check out the crank sensor, see if it's doing it's thing.

Kimlo likes this.
    It's a couple of months overdue for service (but hasn't hit the KMs for the service yet), I'm going to arrange to get a major service soon when I can be bothered. I only do like 200kms a week if that, so it's not a huge rush but I'll try to get it done before December and get all new tyres while I'm at it. It just hit over 200,000 a month ago so it's probably about time for a good service.