The BHQ Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by ningnangnong, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Morkel

Morkel

The sound has the rex momentarily spool up as the back steps out to the right. I know, normally they'd understeer under power but oversteer is not uncommon in the wet, just bad driving.

2. Mhmm. At spool is exactly the time I would expect it to shit the bed and crunch gears too.

Probably a wanker, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, as it's quite an achievement to make a rex do what happened there .

Morkel likes this.
  3. Morkel

Morkel

It's an older one, so I'm not sure what sort of modifications they'll be doing to them these days. I know with the similar aged Skylines there were a heap of people dialling in a rear-wheel bias, but they were far superior technologically (even the GTS-4). I don't think the WRX's had the tech, but theat car would be 20 years old now, no idea how much they tinker with them these days.

You really don't have to explain it to me mate.

4. Morkel

Morkel

I'm not explaining, I'm more asking the question of someone who works on them every day - have you seen people do that with older rexes? Or is the "catastrophic driveline failure" not uncommon?

5. I'm of the opinion that the vehicle in the video had some form of failure in it's drive line for it to end up like that.

The other likely option is that it's running on bald tyres.

It could have a V12 engine running 323804793456945673489576348956345867345986345 KW at the wheels, and I still don't think he's got enough power in the video to achieve that, just from bad driving or loss of control.

Morkel likes this.
  6. Too many burnouts.

7. Morkel

Morkel

They're shit for burnouts. You'll burn the clutch out first.

8. Yeah, you don't buy an AWD to spin the wheels. Although, too many attempted burn outs could have the desired effect.

9. ningnangnong

ningnangnong HACK THE PLANET!!!

Who's more of a hoon - the Rexy or @Porthoz@Porthoz with his absolutely bangin' beats?

Harry Sack and Porthoz like this.
  10. The voice at the end haha.

ningnangnong, Porthoz and Nashy like this.
  11. My money is on the Bimmer.

Porthoz likes this.
  12. Hey @Nashy@Nashy can I tap your automotive experience please. One of my best mates' daughter is looking to buy her first car.

She is looking at a Hyundai I-20 at a car yard 2014 that apparently was a fleet vehicle and has done 130,000 kms.

The other option is a 2007 Suzuki Vitara - 220,000 kms, V6, full service history, had all the suspension done recently. Owned by an older couple and looks in immaculate condition.

Any views either way on the above please?

13. Out of those two I would go the Hyundai. Far more reliable vehicle. Worth checking the log book, some fleets can be sloppy, the big guys are pretty good at making sure their vehicles are done correctly. Steering wheel, give it a turn. If it has too much play / knock, it needs a new coupling, $300 repair.

The Grand Vitara V6 engine is under powered. They are rare, parts are pretty annoying to get hold of, and they're just not a very good engine and vehicle combo. Under powered when you need the power, and will just give more trouble overall. Suzuki are a respected company, but they certainly don't seem to care too much outside of their Swift and Kizashi lines. If you don't find an oil leak, I'd be pretty surprised.

14. Mate thank you so much for the response, I have passed it on. Very much appreciated.

Nashy likes this.
  15. 007

007 QCup Player

That wrx wasn't a mech failure - driver ran out of talent. That gen runs a viscous rear diff, its probably likely he front wheelspun on gutter side white paint, rear bit, over and under corrected and looped it.

4wd skyline ran hydro press controlled center transfer.

ningnangnong, soup and Morkel like this.
  16. I go into Supercheap and ask for a globe for the front and rear indicator (giving them the right model and year) and they try to sell me this.

[​IMG]

That's not the exact globe, same shape and size but it was a different color.

That's not it. I've never seen a Laser from 99-02 that takes that kind of globe.

17. Narva 47384 according to me. Just tell them you need an amber one.

18. 007

007 QCup Player

Do you mean you need an amber globe? or is the socket type wrong.

19. 007

007 QCup Player

Drove a ZB today, bloody awesome car. Light years ahead of where Holden were going with the commodore...cannot understand why people do not want/like this car.