The BHQ Automotive Thread

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Have seen blown tyres. But this one was impressive.

Left it two weeks to bring her in. It's coming in next week as it's caused a bit of carnage to the left rear suspension air bag and some damage to the brakes. And there's some bits that have come from under there that we haven't identified yet.
Jesus fucking christ.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Couple photos of my project before sand/bead/soda/media blasting. Presently at work in the Pilbara but it along with the chassis will be getting the treatment as soon as I return.
Is that the first car you ever bought new off the showroom floor?

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
How wild are you going on it?
Restomod cruiser style but definitely not performance oriented. LS1 with auto, standard 300bhp plus standard 4L60 e auto box, disc brake front and rear, power steering, aircond, good sound with modern dark, rich blue paint (so many to choose from these days), good set of wheels and tyres, and dropped a little from standard ride height but not so low you can't drive anywhere except on a dead flat surface.

So, not wild more a totally functional, driveable, one of a kind daily driver. Only six came to Australia, this is number two, 1936 Cadillac Fleetwood Imperial Tourer. Only one other exists and it's a restored original on club rego, no other restomod is around. That will make this build even more worthwhile.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Seeing people are sharing projects, ive tinkered with a few cars from time to time. Here's mine, its currently in the off season so overhauling/inspecting all bearings, dampers, spherical bearings etc before March.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. That must be a real blast to drive! What a great toy, envious much.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Restomod cruiser style but definitely not performance oriented. LS1 with auto, standard 300bhp plus standard 4L60 e auto box, disc brake front and rear, power steering, aircond, good sound with modern dark, rich blue paint (so many to choose from these days), good set of wheels and tyres, and dropped a little from standard ride height but not so low you can't drive anywhere except on a dead flat surface.

So, not wild more a totally functional, driveable, one of a kind daily driver. Only six came to Australia, this is number two, 1936 Cadillac Fleetwood Imperial Tourer. Only one other exists and it's a restored original on club rego, no other restomod is around. That will make this build even more worthwhile.
What is the car mate, I have no idea.

Any reason for going GM for the drive train over the US Blue Oval Boss gear? Fanboy hat firmly on.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
This came in today. Customer saw this up North and questioned it. Was told it was fine, just been serviced, just had brakes (Not incorrect, had a service, slapped new pads in it).

This vehicle drove 1500+KM with this down to Brisbane. The vehicle played up today (dropped a coil), and the customer happened to mention it to us to check. The severity of this failing on a highway can't be underestimated.

This is a disc rotor for those who don't know. That crack is not just a surfact crack. It's right through.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
This came in today. Customer saw this up North and questioned it. Was told it was fine, just been serviced, just had brakes (Not incorrect, had a service, slapped new pads in it).

This vehicle drove 1500+KM with this down to Brisbane. The vehicle played up today (dropped a coil), and the customer happened to mention it to us to check. The severity of this failing on a highway can't be underestimated.

This is a disc rotor for those who don't know. That crack is not just a surfact crack. It's right through.

Amazing . What's your view? Is it a crack that happened during manufacturing and was installed damaged or did it simply happen during the drive because of an inherent flaw?

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
What is the car mate, I have no idea.

Any reason for going GM for the drive train over the US Blue Oval Boss gear? Fanboy hat firmly on.
My car's description is in the quote Nashy but for clarity it's a 1936 Cadillac Fleetwood Imperial Tourer. A 346 cu inch v8 with a three speed manual gearbox. No Ford stuff in this car not that I have a problem with Ford. It's just that an LS and auto is super cheap, bolt in power, readily available and can be beefed up substantially with minimal effort and cost if desired. Cheap as chips and strong as.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Amazing . What's your view? Is it a crack that happened during manufacturing and was installed damaged or did it simply happen during the drive because of an inherent flaw?
I believe it was there at the beginning of the trip based on the customers word. I'd say the rotor will be under the minimum size, it's not been machined when the pads went in, and it could have had a weak spot where the fin contacts that area. It would be disappointing if a mechanic missed this on the recent pad change.

I haven't seen the rotor off the car yet myself, but I'll have a better view of it on a bench on Monday.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff

Pfft, just as good as slotted discs! That'll help heat to dissipate, right?

QCup Player
Restomod cruiser style but definitely not performance oriented. LS1 with auto, standard 300bhp plus standard 4L60 e auto box.
Out of interest why not a later gen LS? Always getting cheaper and possibly by the time you are ready would be peanuts? Any modern interior stuff like carbon panels, would be an awesome car to do some mixing of modern and old tech.

Are you playing with suspension geom or fitting 4 link(diag) or trailing with panhards?

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. That must be a real blast to drive! What a great toy, envious much.
Is very fun but hard to drive! 2.1/2.2G on peak braking, 1.8-1.9 lateral G avg, 1.7 G acceleration. Sequential, 760HP flywheel (2.2lt Turbo), carbon panels, carbon roof etc, titanium uprights, water cooled brakes etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter