The BHQ Automotive Thread

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Out of interest why not a later gen LS? Always getting cheaper and possibly by the time you are ready would be peanuts? Any modern interior stuff like carbon panels, would be an awesome car to do some mixing of modern and old tech.

Are you playing with suspension geom or fitting 4 link(diag) or trailing with panhards?

Is very fun but hard to drive! 2.1/2.2G on peak braking, 1.8-1.9 lateral G avg, 1.7 G acceleration. Sequential, 760HP flywheel (2.2lt Turbo), carbon panels, carbon roof etc, titanium uprights, water cooled brakes etc.
Well, keeping costs moderate and I suppose not being too committed would be the main reasons. It's true to some extent that costs aren't really a worry but whether I have 305hp or 335hp really won't make a difference to a cruising type experience and as I said there's plenty of room left to boost horsepower if I need.

Your car sounds like an incredible experience but I'd have to guess, it's an arm and a leg's worth of commitment.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Out of interest why not a later gen LS? Always getting cheaper and possibly by the time you are ready would be peanuts? Any modern interior stuff like carbon panels, would be an awesome car to do some mixing of modern and old tech.

Are you playing with suspension geom or fitting 4 link(diag) or trailing with panhards?

Is very fun but hard to drive! 2.1/2.2G on peak braking, 1.8-1.9 lateral G avg, 1.7 G acceleration. Sequential, 760HP flywheel (2.2lt Turbo), carbon panels, carbon roof etc, titanium uprights, water cooled brakes etc.
Hey Mr Bond! I mean 007. I've been thinking about your first question and yes, it's a good question. For just a few bucks more I can get the LS2 and I will be doing that. The extra bang costs so little more money I'd be crazy to turn it down . Thanks for making me reconsider.:applaudit: 400+ bhp and smooth as silk when standard, well aside from exhaust and tuning.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Hey Mr Bond! I mean 007. I've been thinking about your first question and yes, it's a good question. For just a few bucks more I can get the LS2 and I will be doing that. The extra bang costs so little more money I'd be crazy to turn it down . Thanks for making me reconsider.:applaudit: 400+ bhp and smooth as silk when standard, well aside from exhaust and tuning.
Being that it's a GM engine, has it broken down in the crate yet?

QCup Player
Anything high KM on LS2 i would be prepared to do valve guides, seals and lifters. Lifters were prone to some pretty bad fatigue later in life on them. A dead lifter would almost sound like a faint bottom end knock, and to do the lifters on them requires cyl head removal as the lifters wont clear the head casting. GM brain power :D

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
Since I'm finally back on the east side of australia, I'm looking at getting a newish Holden Colorado, so I can tow the jetski.
Anyone own one or owned that have some pointers
Def getting the 4x4 but because I'm a newbie at utes what's the difference between 4x4 and 4x2

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
Since I'm finally back on the east side of australia, I'm looking at getting a newish Holden Colorado, so I can tow the jetski.
Anyone own one or owned that have some pointers
Def getting the 4x4 but because I'm a newbie at utes what's the difference between 4x4 and 4x2
Do you mean the literal difference between a four wheel drive and two wheel drive or are you talking trim/spec differences between the Colorado's 4x4 and 4x2 models?

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
D
Bit of both
Dunno **** all about the colorado models as i never considered buying one. 4 x 4 is four wheel drive, it means there's a driveshaft into the front diff and the motor sends drive to both the front and rear. 4 x 2 means the motor only sends torque to the rear wheels. There are a few more complications about centre diffs and all wheel drive but IIRC the Colorado never had those options so we can leave that to one side.

If you're taking it off road or on the beach a 4x4 will do much better. If it's just to haul shit around either will do the job.

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
D

Dunno **** all about the colorado models as i never considered buying one. 4 x 4 is four wheel drive, it means there's a driveshaft into the front diff and the motor sends drive to both the front and rear. 4 x 2 means the motor only sends torque to the rear wheels. There are a few more complications about centre diffs and all wheel drive but IIRC the Colorado never had those options so we can leave that to one side.

If you're taking it off road or on the beach a 4x4 will do much better. If it's just to haul shit around either will do the job.
Yeah right , wouldnt mind going 4x4ing but so much can go wrong and wanting it so I can take the dirt bike out again when I get another one

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Consider another brand in my opinion.

If you're oldskool and chasing that old Holden reliability from the not as shit Rodeo days, you need to be looking at Isuzu since they made Holdens gear back in the day.

If you want reliability, Holden isn't where I would be recommending. But anyway. Colorados are very comfrotable cars.

If you're going off-road, get a 4X4. If you have a small wallet and pockets but like shiny things, get a 4X2. Gear oils are pretty expensive, and if you're working them offroad, you'll need to be changing them more often.

Steer well well well clear of any 2015+ Toyotas at the moment in diesel. THey have major DPF problems. I'd purchase a Colorado before a Hilux at this time, for example.

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
Consider another brand in my opinion.

If you're oldskool and chasing that old Holden reliability from the not as shit Rodeo days, you need to be looking at Isuzu since they made Holdens gear back in the day.

If you want reliability, Holden isn't where I would be recommending. But anyway. Colorados are very comfrotable cars.

If you're going off-road, get a 4X4. If you have a small wallet and pockets but like shiny things, get a 4X2. Gear oils are pretty expensive, and if you're working them offroad, you'll need to be changing them more often.

Steer well well well clear of any 2015+ Toyotas at the moment in diesel. THey have major DPF problems. I'd purchase a Colorado before a Hilux at this time, for example.
Yeah ok, it would only be the occasional off road maybe once or twice a month and with the ski maybe once a fortnight.
Just wanting a 4x4 maybe to take the Mrs and the guys ( one has a Navara and another a 79 series Hilux) when we go camping or whatever

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Yeah ok, it would only be the occasional off road maybe once or twice a month and with the ski maybe once a fortnight.
Just wanting a 4x4 maybe to take the Mrs and the guys ( one has a Navara and another a 79 series Hilux) when we go camping or whatever
Talk to them about what they think. The Navara D40 is a shitshow of a car. Their new range of D23s (Badge is NP300) are pretty nice. Have a 20k service schedule to save you some dosh in that regard too. Available twin turbo too....

You might mean LandCruiser for your other mate. Talk to him man, out of those two cars, he's the guy who will likely have the best advice for what you guys actually do. If you can get yourself a LandCruiser. Man, ya laughin. They're god awful pricey though.

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
Talk to them about what they think. The Navara D40 is a shitshow of a car. Their new range of D23s (Badge is NP300) are pretty nice. Have a 20k service schedule to save you some dosh in that regard too. Available twin turbo too....

You might mean LandCruiser for your other mate. Talk to him man, out of those two cars, he's the guy who will likely have the best advice for what you guys actually do. If you can get yourself a LandCruiser. Man, ya laughin. They're god awful pricey though.
Yeah Landcruiser had a brain fade there but yeah I'm looking at spending between 23-28k for a decent one
Those 79s are great but wont find one with low kms for decent coin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter