The BHQ Automotive Thread

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
Hey Nashy Nashy what do you use to track down parts online? Some clown went to town on my ute with fists of ham, crossthreaded bolts with a rattle gun I assume, I borked the repair and now need a couple of Toyota crossmembers part 51405D. I saw when old mate needed some landcruiser bits a while back you could instantly see whether repco had them in stock and where, is this something us regular punters can do or is it a special mechanics only deal? Know of anything good like that but for wreckers?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Hey Nashy Nashy what do you use to track down parts online? Some clown went to town on my ute with fists of ham, crossthreaded bolts with a rattle gun I assume, I borked the repair and now need a couple of Toyota crossmembers part 51405D. I saw when old mate needed some landcruiser bits a while back you could instantly see whether repco had them in stock and where, is this something us regular punters can do or is it a special mechanics only deal? Know of anything good like that but for wreckers?
That's a genuine internal number you've got yourself there, not a consumer part number.

I can't check them online, I have to call for genuine gear. Sometimes I can cross March to a non genuine, let me check.

Edit: Just found it on a Toyota cat. That'll be a genuine only part there. I recommend Sci-Fleet or Southside Toyota depending on what side of the river you live. Happy to see what they're worth at a trade cost for you tomorrow if you'd like.

Last edited:

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
That's a genuine internal number you've got yourself there, not a consumer part number.

I can't check them online, I have to call for genuine gear. Sometimes I can cross March to a non genuine, let me check.

Edit: Just found it on a Toyota cat. That'll be a genuine only part there. I recommend Sci-Fleet or Southside Toyota depending on what side of the river you live. Happy to see what they're worth at a trade cost for you tomorrow if you'd like.
Ah right, cheers. I don't know much about internal and consumer part numbers, but yeah I'd assume toyota are the only ones making this bit. If you don't mind grabbing a trade price for us that'd be great, I've put out a request on findapart but nfi how good they are are how much the wreckers want for these. If toyota have one at a decent price it'd be easier to just stump up and get the bit now so I can go back to smashing the shit out of the ute again.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Ah right, cheers. I don't know much about internal and consumer part numbers, but yeah I'd assume toyota are the only ones making this bit. If you don't mind grabbing a trade price for us that'd be great, I've put out a request on findapart but nfi how good they are are how much the wreckers want for these. If toyota have one at a decent price it'd be easier to just stump up and get the bit now so I can go back to smashing the shit out of the ute again.
This part isn't going to cost you an arm an a leg. Find a part I find is excellent when it's me asking from a workshop, but fucking useless from me asking as a consumer. However, that part number will mean nothing to them.

I'll see what it's worth, can't see it being too much. I'll get the actual part number too, which will make searching online for the part far easier.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Would you be able to PM me your rego (Only if QLD) or VIN. They need the correct vehicle to search that number.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Also. Another one;

Honda Accord
Model Years 1998-2000

Honda CR-V
Model Years 1998-2000

Honda Legend
Model Years 1998-2000

fitted with a driver's airbag with a Takata NADI 5-AT inflator

33 289 affected vehicles

Check your car isn't going to kill you.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
Thanks for the help Nashy. With the prices being what they are I figured it was worth trying my hand at a bodgy repair job first, risk purchasing 80 bucks of tools and bits to avoid a few hundred in new parts and also hopefully learn a new skill or two. Looks like she's fixed up at the moment, just took a good glob of that metal epoxy shit and a couple of helicoils. Gunna go smack her into a few rocks this weekend and see if it holds up, even if not it was worth the opportunity to learn how to put helicoils in with a non-critical part.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Turns out that issue I was having some time ago wasn’t plugs.

It stopped for a while when I changed the plugs but now it’s back with a new problem. The lights flicker every now and then. Sometimes there is also lag when I try to start the car, at least 3 seconds.

I think I'll give coils a try this time around.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
If the coils were fucked the whole way along, there is potential that they have damaged your new plugs too. It's always best to do plugs and coils at the same time.

But, it's also always best to have someone who knows what they are doing to diagnose the vehicle, so you don't waste time and money chasing your own tail.

Lights flickering as in lack of power to the lights? Or warning lights coming on to say she's broken? If the first, do a batt, alt and start test too. Low power from the alt or battery can cause some weird problems in cars.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
If the coils were fucked the whole way along, there is potential that they have damaged your new plugs too. It's always best to do plugs and coils at the same time.

But, it's also always best to have someone who knows what they are doing to diagnose the vehicle, so you don't waste time and money chasing your own tail.

Lights flickering as in lack of power to the lights? Or warning lights coming on to say she's broken? If the first, do a batt, alt and start test too. Low power from the alt or battery can cause some weird problems in cars.
Lack of power to the lights. I'll drive along and every now and then they will flicker. It's happened about two times in the past couple of months. Nothing happens to any of the dash lights, it's just the headlights.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Sounds like power supply issue or two issues.
The battery was bought in March 2018. One of those cheaper ones from Autobarn.

I only just noticed something that I've never noticed before, the problems are only happening at night. During the day it's all good.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
The battery was bought in March 2018. One of those cheaper ones from Autobarn.

I only just noticed something that I've never noticed before, the problems are only happening at night. During the day it's all good.
Alternator overcharge? Might be way off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.