The BHQ Automotive Thread

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Yeah H7 for low beam, HB3 for high beam. I'll heard those are quite good so I'll give those a try.
Check reviews for both Xtreme Visions and Crystal Visions. Both excellent choices. Steer clear of Narva, but if you happen to find Osrams for a cheaper price, they'll be the same globes as in the Phillips package.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Are those bluetooth scan tools any good?

I'm looking to buy a scan tool for whenever I may need it. There's so many of them out there and so many different prices ranging from $20-$1000+.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain

R.I.P Holden. What a laughing disgrace the automotive industry has become. GM got bailed the **** out by Obama a number of years ago and all they have done since then is cut jobs and close down factories

Last edited:

mitch222

State of Origin Rep

R.I.P Holden. What a laughing disgrace the automotive industry has become. GM got bailed the **** out by Obama a number of years ago and all they have done since then is cut jobs and close down factories
Not to mention we bailed Holden out a few years ago as well.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo

I'm looking to buy a scan tool for whenever I may need it. There's so many of them out there and so many different prices ranging from $20-$1000+.
Yeah, I've got a few. The cheapo ebay ones will do the job but I bought the exxy obdlink one from amazon and the refresh rate difference is huge. Probably not too big a deal on an atmo motor but if you're using it for a boost gauge the $100 one is tops.

On a different note I'm thinking of trading in the hilux for a patrol or similar. Wanted a landcruiser but people are still trying to sell a 90s model 80 series for 20 grand, can buy a 2010 patrol for the same amount. Anyone have suggestions for anything else that has coil sprung live axles front and rear and can also tow 3 tonnes?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Really depends what you need. Scanning and clearing, $100 at JayCar, Repco or Burson will do the trick. Go to places professaional shops shop at, not SuperCheap.

Your car can have it's service reminder reset manually through steering wheel conbinations, I doubt a scan tool in the $100 range will do it. The $15k one at work doesn't even do it yet.

Very sad day. I hope someone buys the brand and does something worthy of it.

Yeah, I've got a few. The cheapo ebay ones will do the job but I bought the exxy obdlink one from amazon and the refresh rate difference is huge. Probably not too big a deal on an atmo motor but if you're using it for a boost gauge the $100 one is tops.

On a different note I'm thinking of trading in the hilux for a patrol or similar. Wanted a landcruiser but people are still trying to sell a 90s model 80 series for 20 grand, can buy a 2010 patrol for the same amount. Anyone have suggestions for anything else that has coil sprung live axles front and rear and can also tow 3 tonnes?
Unimog.

I'm only half joking.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Would a bad intake manifold gasket cause a loud hissing noise?

Not on my car. My parents have a AUIII, I think a 2003. There’s a loud hissing noise and it sounds like it’s coming from where the intake manifold gaskets are. There doesn’t appear to be any fluid leaks, just a loud hissing noise and the car runs rough.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Would a bad intake manifold gasket cause a loud hissing noise?

Not on my car. My parents have a AUIII, I think a 2003. There’s a loud hissing noise and it sounds like it’s coming from where the intake manifold gaskets are. There doesn’t appear to be any fluid leaks, just a loud hissing noise and the car runs rough.
Absolutely.

Good way to check on intake leaks is to shoot a bit of start ya bastard around the air box, piping and manifold. If the revs go up, you found it.

Little more difficult on the other side, Falcons in their later years like to blow out the exhaust manifold gasket too.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Absolutely.

Good way to check on intake leaks is to shoot a bit of start ya bastard around the air box, piping and manifold. If the revs go up, you found it.

Little more difficult on the other side, Falcons in their later years like to blow out the exhaust manifold gasket too.
I couldn’t notice it yesterday because my nose was all blocked up but when I checked it out today the one thing I noticed the most was the smell. Strong smell of fumes. That would be an indication it’s the exhaust manifold gasket, wouldn’t it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter