The BHQ Automotive Thread

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Jesus **** this thing is fast.

It really looks like Moog wasn't putting his foot down with the cars he was using, especially with the Porsche, but **** this Beetle is fast. I'm a bit surprised it didn't fall apart.

Skip to 38:15 if you want to see it in action.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
It's somewhat worrying that you're looking at videos about making sleepers when you've just bought an i30.... 😅

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
It's somewhat worrying that you're looking at videos about making sleepers when you've just bought an i30.... 😅
I like watching these videos.

Not the i30. Flick the car in sport mode, it's good enough for me. Eventually upgrade to the N.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Been trying to find a repair manual for 2018 Hyundai i30's but that's proving to be very very difficult.

The owners manual has a very basic repair section which is mainly maintenance. Repair manuals go into far far more detail so I've been trying to get one. Doesn't look like I can.

It seems Hyundai doesn't want people working on their cars.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Just looking for a workshop manual for whenever I may need one to fix something on the car that I'm not too familiar with. It doesn't look like there is one available, though.
Good way to look at how some things go together is to look at the parts cats. They're available online for Hyundai now and will take a VIN for your exact model.

Rico

QCup Player
Next project for my car.

Install soundproofing. There is too much noise for my liking.
Save your money SF. Pretty hard to get a big car ride out of a small car. What are your tyres like? Obviously roadworthy for a recent buy but I’ve found a set of Bridgestone ecopias are Great for reducing road noise On small cars. They worked a treat on my corolla.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Save your money SF. Pretty hard to get a big car ride out of a small car. What are your tyres like? Obviously roadworthy for a recent buy but I’ve found a set of Bridgestone ecopias are Great for reducing road noise On small cars. They worked a treat on my corolla.
I've seen soundproofing on i30's and it makes quite a difference.

Bridgestone don't offer those tyres for my size and based on their pricing for similar, I'm looking at $900 minimum, up to $1000 depending on type of tyre which is significantly more and for less benefit.

Rico

QCup Player

Bridgestone don't offer those tyres for my size and based on their pricing for similar, I'm looking at $900 minimum, up to $1000 depending on type of tyre which is significantly more and for less benefit.
What size are they? Bloody shame if so. You can get 4 fitted and balance on a buy 3 get the 4th free for these at around $450.
Pardon my lack of knowlege on this but what does sound proofing you car involve?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Where's the noise coming from though?

Honestly, don't write off the tyres. I know what you've seen on the Internet with all it's "this is totally not a load of shit" topcis. But sound proofing is pretty rat shit value for money. If you're looking at value, which "more and for less benefit" would indicate, you're going to be seeing far better value out of rubber. I don't agree with the brand mentioned here, honestly, Bridgestone... or BS for short.... They're very good, but they're very over priced in most of their range.

What tyres are on it now? Don't worry about size, brand and model?

If you do go down the waste money route, I'd leave the doors alone, as no doubt you maybe in there in the future for speakers, and the sound proofing you want in there is different to whatever you use in the floors.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Also. Reminder. Your vehicle is under a factory warranty. It's very easy for people to say "I didn't touch that component so it will still be covered". It's one thing to rock in and say "Ultra Tune did this work, warranty some shit for me" a completely different thing to "I did all this random ass shit and found this is no good". We have good consumer laws, but the car industry have the best loopholes.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola
Bridgestone make good tyres in my opinion, just gotta wait for one of their regular 4 for 3 offers.

I'm on my second set of Potenzas, after trying a variety of other brands. The Potenzas win every time.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Bridgestone make good tyres in my opinion, just gotta wait for one of their regular 4 for 3 offers.

I'm on my second set of Potenzas, after trying a variety of other brands. The Potenzas win every time.
Yeah, when you get a good deal on them, they're well worth it. Just not at their retail price.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.