The BHQ Automotive Thread

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Yeah, true. I'd go through a place like Iron Chef or something if I did it. Just keen on a couple of the models that are now available to import. :)
What brand are you looking at.

Nissan shares a lot of parts across their vehicles world wide, so usually you can find parts for their imported models.

I haven't seen much in the way of Honda. I'm going to assume that the aftermarket is dominated by the racer scene, because Honda's are the absolute worst even when the model is sold here for parts.

Toyota just do shit right. Ring them with a frame number (Not VIN) and they can pull the parts up. Again, lots of cross overs, but, if they don't do it, they can still give you a part number, and will order from Japan if needed.

In regard to anything else, the only advice I would give, don't buy an import. More trouble and money than they are worth.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola
In regard to anything else, the only advice I would give, don't buy an import. More trouble and money than they are worth.
Haha, I am aware, and let's be honest, there's about a 98% chance I won't do any further research into this... just thought I'd see if anyone else had dipped their toes in.

The Honda fanboi in me is interested though. ;)

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Where's the noise coming from though?

Honestly, don't write off the tyres. I know what you've seen on the Internet with all it's "this is totally not a load of shit" topcis. But sound proofing is pretty rat shit value for money. If you're looking at value, which "more and for less benefit" would indicate, you're going to be seeing far better value out of rubber. I don't agree with the brand mentioned here, honestly, Bridgestone... or BS for short.... They're very good, but they're very over priced in most of their range.

What tyres are on it now? Don't worry about size, brand and model?

If you do go down the waste money route, I'd leave the doors alone, as no doubt you maybe in there in the future for speakers, and the sound proofing you want in there is different to whatever you use in the floors.
Under the car, and the roof is an issue. Seems to be very thin. It's ridiculously fucking loud when it rains. Sounds like golf sized hail hitting the car which is very distracting.

Tyres are Aplus A607's. They advertise reduced road noise but the primary focus seems to be grip. They have a crazy amount of grip for a cheaper performance tyre.

You could say soundproofing is rat shit value for money and in a lot of cases it is. The same could be said about quieter tyres, though. You could be spending hundreds for tyres that promise to reduce road noise and get very little change. I've certainly seen a lot of cases like that.

In my experience, when you fork out the money for the good stuff and do a two step installation going over the surface area twice with the second layer being a thicker different material, the results are pretty damn good. This isn't something I read on the internet, I've helped with a couple of at home installations. Price varies depending on car size but for mine $300 max. It seems like a fair price for the results I've gotten.

Doors I wouldn't touch. They seem to be quite solid already, you get that nice deep thud. I don't tend to hear anything beside me. I haven't checked but it seems Hyundai already did the doors as they were advertising improved sound systems in their newer models. And yes you are right, speakers will be coming soon.. Right after heated seats. I've never tried the aftermarket ones but they are cheap so I'll see what the fuss is about.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Pardon my lack of knowlege on this but what does sound proofing you car involve?
Stripping the interior. Trim, seats, carpet, roof lining, the lot. Applying the sheets (which have an adhesive backing) covering the whole surface area. Cleaning products to clean the surface, a heat gun and roller to apply the sheets will be required. Going back over it a second time with thicker material. Then putting the interior back together.

It's a long job and probably not something someone should do on their own. I would have a couple of helping hands and my car is a hatchback so that would reduce the time significantly.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
You're an odd man SF. You still live in QLD yeah? Waste of time and just adding extra, likely cheap and shitty, electrics to your car. And installing it in possible the most flammable part of the vehicle too.

Also. Don't believe a word you read by a manufacturer on anything. Hell, you know to not even do that with a toaster now days. Those tyres suck, you need good rubber.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Oh also @SuperFreak - Watch your warranty. You go pulling all that shit out of your car, if they notice something wrong, it's void.

If you are removing the seats, you need to be EXTREMELY careful to not stretch of damage in any way at all your seat belt buckle wiring. The pre-tensioners in the belt work on ohms and will not work with even a slight deviation. They must be exact, or the SRS system will not work.

Also going to highly recommend you remove the SRS fuse if you are removing the seats. One spike in the wrong spot, depending on your sitting position in the car, those bags deploying could kill you.

And please remember one thing out of all of it. You have a nice car man, don't do bogan ass dumb shit to it.

Edit: Only read your waffle about tyres and $300 blah blah. The trick is to not buy shit tyres. But all good, I've had plenty of customers like you before, I won't change your mindset. Spending money is where you get value in cars, and it doesn't seem that's where your mind is at just yet.

Last edited:

Waynesaurus

NRL Player
Springfield
The other problem with pulling interiors apart is the potential to create squeaks and rattles that were never there before.

Bending panels or breaking clips then things don't quite go back as they once did and aren't as snug, it can all create annoying noises in places which can be hard to track down.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
FWIW, the I30 is a pretty nice car. My daughter in law has the SR and it's a surprisingly nice drive!

The Super Freak Super Freak and cars relationship is something I will never understand. :xxxx:
The i30 has been a fantastic choice since it's inception, and is to this day. It's probably best in it's class overall.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Why do you buy shit cars and spend all this money on them? Super Freak Super Freak

Just buy a good car lol
Because some of us aren't in the position to just buy an up-spec model. And some of us don't get enjoyment from just buying something off-the-shelf and claiming it as our own.

He bought something he would enjoy, something he could afford, and is looking to modify it to make it his own. He can do it up as the money is available to him, and admirably, is doing what he can with his own two hands. That deserves more respect in my opinion than the guy that just throws a cheque book at a mod shop, or ticks the options boxes at a dealership.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Because some of us aren't in the position to just buy an up-spec model. And some of us don't get enjoyment from just buying something off-the-shelf and claiming it as our own.

He bought something he would enjoy, something he could afford, and is looking to modify it to make it his own. He can do it up as the money is available to him, and admirably, is doing what he can with his own two hands. That deserves more respect in my opinion than the guy that just throws a cheque book at a mod shop, or ticks the options boxes at a dealership.
Yes, but you also don't know anything about cars.

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Around
I've never understood the appeal of modifying for anything other than aesthetics TBH, and even then it's not for me. Don't like it, don't buy it IMO.

I literally just spent 6+ months researching different makes and models for what would suit me and my family best and then went out and bought the one that did.

Granted, when I was 18 I modified the sound system in my '97 Mitsubishi Mirage so that I could play CD's and MP3's really loudly. Other than that I've left everything as is.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I don't see what that has to do with anything. Enlighten me.
Your advice is fine, but when some of the discussion in here is tyres, flammability, ADR, and even obligations under a factory warranty, I think it was important to point it out.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Your advice is fine, but when some of the discussion in here is tyres, flammability, ADR, and even obligations under a factory warranty, I think it was important to point it out.
Fair enough, but that wasn't the context of UB's "just buy a better car" statement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.