The BHQ Automotive Thread

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by ningnangnong, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Tom

Tom NRL Player

Driving in my 2003 Ford Focus today and it overheated, the reservoir was empty as I hadn't checked it in a while. There was no warning beep, a light had come on but the first I noticed something was wrong was because it had lost 90% of its' power. It was still revving hard but was going hardly anywhere. I thought I had fucked the gearbox til I noticed it was overheating. I parked up and walked the rest of the way home and let it cool down for a few hours. When I went back everything worked sweet.

Is this a mechanism of the car to let you know it is way too hot or something else I should be worried about?

2. @Nashy tbh but all of my cars would beep at me whenever they were overheating. I'd say if your reservoir was empty you haven't checked it in a very long time or you have a leak somewhere. A once over by a mechanic would be worth a go.

3. Tom

Tom NRL Player

Yeah it was an oversight on my part regarding the reservoir, I normally stay on top of that shit. I found it odd the car didn't beep at me as all my others have, so I'm not sure how long it had been overheating for.

4. Have it checked for leaks, and if your dashboard light is alerting you for temperature, don't keep driving even if you don't hear a beep, as you're a good chance of serious damage to the engine!

I don't quite understand how the engine revving hard and barely moving fits the scenario though. The engine will generally seize rather than rev-up in a overheating scenario I think...
    It sounds more like a slipping clutch to me, but check with actual professionals.

5. Morkel

Morkel

If it's an auto and it is starting to seize, it'll be down on power, so you'll have to put the boot down more to move. Hence holding gears longer and revving its tits off.

6. Tom

Tom NRL Player

It's an auto. Everything works fine since I let it cool down.....I thought I had fucked the gearbox til I saw the light on the dash for overheating.

7. Morkel

Morkel

I assume you put some coolant (or at least water) in it before firing it up again?

Even if it's started to seize, you might be lucky and no permanent damage was done, cooling down slowly will do the trick. Running hot too long though, or cooling it down to fast (I've seen people attempt to cool an engine down with a garden hose) and that sucker will warp and never turn over again.

8. Tom

Tom NRL Player

lol yeah I know enough about cars to not use a water hose on the engine, have also witnessed someone doing this, lucky for him he was crash tackled before he fucked his car. I just left it for 3 or four hours then came back with 2L water and put it in then drove the 400m to my place. I have no idea how long it was running hot, as I said, there was no beep and the loss of 90% power was the first indication something was wrong. About 30sec later I noticed the overheating light was on. I was at the top of a hill near mine so chucked it in neutral and rolled as far as she could go( I have heard this is a good way to cool an overheating engine).

9. Morkel

Morkel

It would have helped if there was at least some water left!

10. soup

soup NRL Player

Check fan belt (snapped) and water pump failure. Just a couple of possibilities.

11. Nashy

Nashy

That water went somewhere. It's a pressurised system. It likely boiled and is sitting in the overflow.

Thermostat is your first go.

Sounds like the car went into limp mode. Sits in 3rd gear to attempt to stop further damage.

Don't worry about engine sieze. You would **** the head well before that.

The temp gauge should be monitored as much as your Speedo when driving. It's the most important guage on your cluster. Do not drive hit. Not even just around the corner. Pull over immediately. Not shortly, not the next good looking area, nevlxt servo, right this second, pull over.

Get to a mechanic, they will stay with thermostat and may suggest radiator. If it's been hot, minimum is thermostat.

Tom likes this.
  12. Parked on the side of the road earlier and the car snuffed out.

I couldn't see anything wrong, but I could smell fuel inside the car.

I didn't have any problems starting it back up, but every time I would stop the car would snuff out.

13. [​IMG]

Porthoz and Super Freak like this.
  14. This is what I'm going to have to expect every time I post in this thread, isn't it?

Harry Sack likes this.
  15. Morkel

Morkel

Yes. I was going to say something like "it was probably the leaking fuel of the car you just skewered" but thought that would just be mean.

ningnangnong, Porthoz and Super Freak like this.
  16. Just waiting for the rest of the story, to better understand how the other car's fuel tank ended up on your back seat...

[EDIT] ****, Morks beat me to it.

17. Does anyone know how much it would cost to replace a fuel sensor?

I'm not sure if that is the problem or it's just a fuel injector or fuel filter problem.

18. soup

soup NRL Player

Sounds like a screw loose somewhere... check owner>buy working vehicle. :p

19. Nashy

Nashy

You haven't described a problem. Fuel sensor isn't a thing. What's the car doing?

20. Morkel

Morkel

Making a crunching sound as it impacts other vehicles?

soup and Porthoz like this.