The BHQ Travel Thread

Sproj

International Rep
Looks a great tour. You would be getting in a lot of the really cool places there but you will be flat out and not really getting to take in anything in much detail. As a crash course in China though, looks good.

I've been to all those places and like most of them. Happy to answer any questions and additionally, I live in one of those places. Hehe

Renegade

NRL Captain
Looks a great tour. You would be getting in a lot of the really cool places there but you will be flat out and not really getting to take in anything in much detail. As a crash course in China though, looks good.

I've been to all those places and like most of them. Happy to answer any questions and additionally, I live in one of those places. Hehe
I guess I don't really mind too much that its a crash course, it would be one of those things wherein if I enjoyed it I'd make a second trip and make it a bit more exclusive.

I'd be paying the extra 1k though for the Xian upgrade.

Sproj

International Rep
I guess I don't really mind too much that its a crash course, it would be one of those things wherein if I enjoyed it I'd make a second trip and make it a bit more exclusive.

I'd be paying the extra 1k though for the Xian upgrade.
You HAVE to add Xian, that place is sooooooooooooo cool and the Terracoota Warriors are amazing to see.

Renegade

NRL Captain
You HAVE to add Xian, that place is sooooooooooooo cool and the Terracoota Warriors are amazing to see.
Oh yeah, it wasn't even a consideration, it's part of the reason I want to go!

You're in Shanghai right?

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
Car Hire Companies

I've never hired a car before, but I'm headed to Adelaide at the start of Feb and I'll be needing a car.
I have heard many bad stories about car hire, so I'm wondering if anyone can let me know who to use, and what to watch out for.

Not motivated by cost - I just want to not have to worried about getting screwed on costs for things they don't advertise etc.

Porthoz

International Captain
Car Hire Companies

I've never hired a car before, but I'm headed to Adelaide at the start of Feb and I'll be needing a car.
I have heard many bad stories about car hire, so I'm wondering if anyone can let me know who to use, and what to watch out for.

Not motivated by cost - I just want to not have to worried about getting screwed on costs for things they don't advertise etc.
I always use Hertz when possible and affordable. I get a car from them at least 6 times a year, and they've been pretty good.
Of course, the one time I really wanted them to come through, they didn't... reserved a muscle car for my stay in San Francisco last November (Mustang, Challenger, Charger or Camaro), but ended up with a really deluxe and powerful... soccermum minivan.

Sixt is also pretty good, but more so in Europe, and Thrifty is probably the better lower budget one imo.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Car Hire Companies

I usually use Vroom Vroom Vroom or Kayak to check prices and lock something in (but with free cancellation).

Then as the date gets closer, sometimes the prices drop due to low demand - just cancel and rebook.

Last two times I went to Tassie I used Budget, and never had any issues.

Worth getting travel insurance and using that as your rental car insurance instead of paying through the nose to get insurance with the rental car supplier. Also always fill up ya tank before you hand it back!

Anddddd, do a thorough inspection before you leave the parking lot, and let the attendant know of any existing damage which isn't shown on the report thingy they'll give you. I doubt they'll try and **** you over, but sometimes you never know.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
I've used https://www.airportrentals.com/ quite a few times without an issue.

I did have an issue with my most recent booking, and it took a very long time to get through to their support to get it fixed. But once I got through, the guy was excellent, he had it all cancelled, and re-booked, and in the process he found a better deal for us so booked us on that for the better price.

If I'm booking direct, I'll use Europcar most of the time, and try to go with Europcar with the above site too.

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
Anddddd, do a thorough inspection before you leave the parking lot, and let the attendant know of any existing damage which isn't shown on the report thingy they'll give you. I doubt they'll try and **** you over, but sometimes you never know.
And take pictures. Inside, outside. It's not entirely necessary but it's always good to have up your sleeve if you ever find yourself in a situation where they are trying to screw you over.

Porthoz

International Captain
And take pictures. Inside, outside. It's not entirely necessary but it's always good to have up your sleeve if you ever find yourself in a situation where they are trying to screw you over.
I generally don't take inside pics, unless I see some dodgy shit inside. I do always take HiRes pics of all 4 sides of the car, and any visible damage. Saved the company a shitload of money when they tried to charge me $1100 for a tyre and rim damage (on a fucking Corolla) that was already there!

soup

State of Origin Rep
Both thrifty and budget have tried to **** me over on pre-existing damage. I take photos as others have mentioned and a video too, just in case. Saved my arse on numerous occasions. Car rental companies are lower than low.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter