The BHQ Travel Thread

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Melbourne is the most boring city in Aus?? Deadset, can't take any of that post seriously.

I like Brissy as the best city in Aus but that is because cycling there is great and the weather is fantastic most of the year.

Put Brissy's weather in Melbourne and I'd move there in a heartbeat. Melbourne is EASILY the most interesting city in Aus, it isn't even close with any other city.
Yeah, I couldn't give a rats arse about cycling, but weather, nature, architecture, POIs, etc... are what I rate a city on. Melbourne may have sports, culinary and the Dandenongs, which is why it just stands above Adelaide in terms of large OZ cities, but it barely makes the ratings needle move otherwise.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Pretty rough on Melbourne I reckon. Apart from it's stupid weather, and bat shit road rules, it's pretty cool place.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Yeah, I couldn't give a rats arse about cycling, but weather, nature, architecture, POIs, etc... are what I rate a city on. Melbourne may have sports, culinary and the Dandenongs, which is why it just stands above Adelaide in terms of large OZ cities, but it barely makes the ratings needle move otherwise.
Right, so Flinders St Station, Southern Cross, Docklands, Southbank, Botanic Gardens, Skywheel are nothing compared to Brisbane's....?? Philip Island, The Great Ocean Rd (Granted not Melbourne but the closest accessible city), Mornington Peninsula, Toorak, Chappel St, Hawthorn, Richmond, the Art Gallery and heaps of theatres are all far worse than anything Brisbane, Perth, Hobart, Sydney or Darwin have to offer.

And then to dismiss the culinary and sports aspects just because it doesn't suit personal preference is hardly making a very weak argument any stronger.

Brisbane and south-east Qld (The Gold Coast) is the best area in Australia because it is my home and the reasons I mentioned before but Melbourne and its surrounds are easily the next best thing, I can even understand the view they are better.

And even if you could make an argument Sydney is better (it most certainly isn't), to call Melbourne the most boring big city in Australia and on par with Adelaide is laughable.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Pretty rough on Melbourne I reckon. Apart from it's stupid weather, and bat shit road rules, it's pretty cool place.
It is not even just opinion, to call Melbourne boring (compared to other Australian cities), well I'm astonished, especially from a poster I highly respect.

Now, compare Melbourne to other world cities like New York, Paris, Rome, Shanghai, etc, ok fair enough but comparing it to other Australian cities, well, I'm done.

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Right, so Flinders St Station, Southern Cross, Docklands, Southbank, Botanic Gardens, Skywheel are nothing compared to Brisbane's....?? Philip Island, The Great Ocean Rd (Granted not Melbourne but the closest accessible city), Mornington Peninsula, Toorak, Chappel St, Hawthorn, Richmond, the Art Gallery and heaps of theatres are all far worse than anything Brisbane, Perth, Hobart, Sydney or Darwin have to offer.

And then to dismiss the culinary and sports aspects just because it doesn't suit personal preference is hardly making a very weak argument any stronger.

Brisbane and south-east Qld (The Gold Coast) is the best area in Australia because it is my home and the reasons I mentioned before but Melbourne and its surrounds are easily the next best thing, I can even understand the view they are better.

And even if you could make an argument Sydney is better (it most certainly isn't), to call Melbourne the most boring big city in Australia and on par with Adelaide is laughable.
You seem to have a problem with the concept of opinion and personal taste. What's laughable is your mindset that yours is somehow better.

I am not including Hobart or Darwin in the big cities, but I maintain Melbourne is in and of itself an almost as boring city as Adelaide, and I unfortunately have to go there way too often.
Love the Great Ocean Road, Flinders St Station is nice, as is Southbank, the rest means very little to me, certainly in comparison to what Sydney, and especially SEQ have to offer.

Perth is probably as boring or more, but it's got tranquillity, nature and weather to make it more attractive to me.

Don't agree? Totally fine by me.

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
I just can't enjoy the place. There isn't a single spot I could say I would enjoy staying, much less living. This doesn't make it bad, because I have fucking seen bad around the world.
In fact Melbourne would probably be relatively high in my world city list.

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
The most depressing thing about this debate is the universal bagging of Adelaide. I fly out Friday morning for my first ever visit to Adelaide and was actually looking forward to getting away. :xxxx:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
You seem to have a problem with the concept of opinion and personal taste. What's laughable is your mindset that yours is somehow better.

I am not including Hobart or Darwin in the big cities, but I maintain Melbourne is in and of itself an almost as boring city as Adelaide, and I unfortunately have to go there way too often.
Love the Great Ocean Road, Flinders St Station is nice, as is Southbank, the rest means very little to me, certainly in comparison to what Sydney, and especially SEQ have to offer.

Perth is probably as boring or more, but it's got tranquillity, nature and weather to make it more attractive to me.

Don't agree? Totally fine by me.
I absolutely don’t agree and I can accept you have a different opinion and that’s fine.

My point is that if people come in here looking for advice (it is a travel thread after all) who have never been to Melbourne, your view is deadset misleading and plain and simply terrible advice to anyone thinking of going there.

Melbourne is not without its problems, what city is? It was called the world’s most livable city for a reason and being the sporting capital of Australia is an apt description and the range of culture, cuisine and entertainment options simply leaves even Brisbane for dead.

That said, I’m guessing you perhaps visit the western or northern sides though because those areas are fairly run of the mill, so I’m guessing that is where your argument comes from because I just can’t get it if you are talking about the city centre or the east/south-east. This is the best suburban area in Australia, by far.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I absolutely don’t agree and I can accept you have a different opinion and that’s fine.

My point is that if people come in here looking for advice (it is a travel thread after all) who have never been to Melbourne, your view is deadset misleading and plain and simply terrible advice to anyone thinking of going there.

Melbourne is not without its problems, what city is? It was called the world’s most livable city for a reason and being the sporting capital of Australia is an apt description and the range of culture, cuisine and entertainment options simply leaves even Brisbane for dead.

That said, I’m guessing you perhaps visit the western or northern sides though because those areas are fairly run of the mill, so I’m guessing that is where your argument comes from because I just can’t get it if you are talking about the city centre or the east/south-east. This is the best suburban area in Australia, by far.
Melbourne City at night is excellent. You can leave your room any time, any day, and you'll have plenty to do. Here, 5pm? Everything is dead.

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Just back in from Kokoda. It was everything I expected from a physical POV and the weather didn't let us down either. It pissed down from lunchtime on day 2 until the morning of day 4.
We were walking up in a river of mud for those 2 days from an elevation of 350 mts ASL to 915 mts ASL and back down to 600 to camp on day 1 Day 2 we walked from 600 mts ASL to 1320 and so it went for the next 5 days.

The mental side of things is harder than the physical, it's all the little things of dealing with everything being soaked most of the time. Putting on wet clothes every day and trying to do everything in a one man tent. Throw in lack of sleep and 4am starts to top it off. It was a challenge but it was fantastic.

We had a brilliant group of people (25) who got on so well and a trek leader who knew the history and battle details intricately. He could really build a picture of what happened at each battle site.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter