NEWS The Brisbane Broncos’ secret weapon for disrupting the NRL top eight

I was thinking that but we've invested a lot in our pack and they are undeniably capable of producing in the offensive zone... so rather than stifling their instincts and turning them into bash and barge we should be looking to capitalize on their abilities and work our attack around them.

Our attack doesnt need to be solely based on them but they provide an alternative option for points making it harder for the defense to focus on and also give the halves a legitimate option.

Take the storm for example and their use of NAS.. he's a behemoth with some foot work and skill, so when the storm get close to the line Smith likes to give him the ball whilst he's running an out line. If he doesnt beat them with the line, his out line usually requires the defender to go low leaving NAS with his arm free for an offload, Cam is usually wrapping around at the same time so if he offloads it becomes a simple wrap around with Cam then feeding the backline. If none of that works NAS works towards a quick ptb from his 1-1 tackle and Cam has a fast play close to the line to work with.

The thing the storm do well is look for what each player can do well and figure out how to get it into the attack... Brandon Smith has a lightning quick play the ball so he's usually Cam's go to for setup plays... everyone has a purpose and they know what they need to do for the team.

We have a whole forward pack capable of sparking our attack and backline full of talent with Milf capable of being an electric attacking option... we just need to use them correctly and I think we've been showing this year we can (Oates coming in field, TPJ on the edge, Coates in the air, etc.). I just hope they keep expanding their repertoire

...I must admit this in part explains why im so high with Turps playing hooker; he has some footy smarts about him and over time he'd definitely be able to organise our forwards and originate plays for them in a similar way to Cam Smith..

Macca...........cant......

Remember Turps match winning try at Cronulla a few weeks back....he was there waiting for the TPJ offload...might have been a 10% play but he was there which meant the offload was definitely a option...made sure TPJ had eyes on before he passed it.....

Any guesses what Macca does there...?

I do have to say, macca was on the end of one of my favourite recent era broncos tries. The one against the roosters in the 2015 prelim. The one where hunt gets it on the right of the ruck, the is a dummy runner directly next to him on the inside but hunt throws it behind, to milford who breaks the line then throws an inside pass to hunt supporting and hunt does likewise to macca who scores. I loved that play.

I do have to say, macca was on the end of one of my favourite recent era broncos tries. The one against the roosters in the 2015 prelim. The one where hunt gets it on the right of the ruck, the is a dummy runner directly next to him on the inside but hunt throws it behind, to milford who breaks the line then throws an inside pass to hunt supporting and hunt does likewise to macca who scores. I loved that play.
It was such a good try and so slick and fast through the middle... and all within about 15m from the line from memory

C'mon Milf get back to running!!!!

Last edited:
...I must admit this in part explains why im so high with Turps playing hooker; he has some footy smarts about him and over time he'd definitely be able to organise our forwards and originate plays for them in a similar way to Cam Smith..

Macca...........cant......

Remember Turps match winning try at Cronulla a few weeks back....he was there waiting for the TPJ offload...might have been a 10% play but he was there which meant the offload was definitely a option...made sure TPJ had eyes on before he passed it.....

Any guesses what Macca does there...?
Turpin is a high energy everything at speed type player , not sure about footy smarts and definitely not similar to cam Smith.
[automerge]1564048964[/automerge]
It was such a good try and so slick and fast through the middle... and all within about 15m from the line from memory

C'mon Milf get back to running!!!!
That's a Jason demetriou special, he's big on his hooker and halves combing through the middle.

Last edited:
Darius Boyd scored one of my favourite ever tries in the same game. And set one up for an all-time great Jack Reed. Thaiday even had a great game that year against the Roosters. Sigh, it was all sooo long ago.

Yep, thought that was the start of our premiership window and a bit of a mini Bennett dynasty but that went downhill pretty fucking quick.

Turpin is a high energy everything at speed type player , not sure about footy smarts and definitely not similar to cam Smith.
[automerge]1564048964[/automerge]

That's a Jason demetriou special, he's big on his hooker and halves combing through the middle.
Wasn't Demetriou assistant at the Cows in 2015?

Have you not been paying attention for the last two seasons? Broncos have a habit of beating the top teams and losing to the average to bog average ones. Although manly has been far from average lately.

That was true last year. We’ve had one win against a top team this year and only recently started beating the poor ones.

Active Now

• teampjta
  • Xzei
  • Browny
  • kiwibronco
  • Jedhead
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.